Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #191  
Due to a shoulder injury I can no longer pull start a chainsaw. I purchased a Stihl MSA 160C when it fist came out. 12" bar and have used it on up to 15" trees (not smartest thing to due). 1 of 3 woodpiles
20201007_150326.jpg

I also needed a larger light weight saw, ordered the MSA 220C-B, 18" bar in April - still waiting. Purchased an Oregon A/C powered saw with 20" bar. (around $70) About 3,000 rpm slower than the "racing" saws in prior post. Portable generator and 100' cord makes an A/C saw portable. Here's one of the dead trees I needed to fall, very few escape routes when on hillside and a cheap saw is more expendable than the ported, tuned, supercharged racers.
20210914_125131.jpg
20210914_125107.jpg
20210914_131600.jpg

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #192  
Actually that is a valid question that no one here can answer and maybe I can't either. I sharpen the chain regularly as mentioned. But is my technique good? I don't know. The Stihl jig makes it hard to get wrong and I was decent with a just a file in years past. The electric sharpener is all set up in a fixed position and it does no better than the Stihl sharpener.

When I start sawing it cuts like a champ. Fast, clean and straight. But even after those three pines it was getting slower.

So maybe I know enough to get it sharp but not enough to put an edge on it that will stay on it? I doubt it but it might be possible.
Have you checked the rakers on the chain? If the chain teeth are sharp and it is barely cutting, your rakers may need to be filed.
They make a guage to check them. I always used a small flat file to adjust the raker height.

Is the inside of your bar worn?

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Have you checked the rakers on the chain? If the chain teeth are sharp and it is barely cutting, your rakers may need to be filed.
They make a guage to check them. I always used a small flat file to adjust the raker height.

Is the inside of your bar worn?

Yes, the rakers are the right height. I mostly use the Stihl sharpening tool that several people have linked to. It sharpens the teeth and files the rakers at the same time.

The bar is in good shape.

As mentioned, there is nothing wrong with the Farm Boss. It does what it is designed to do very well. I keep the chain sharp.

Yesterday I had to clear several birch type trees that beavers had dropped on a path. They were 10-12” in diameter. The saw handles jobs like this quickly and with ease. No extra effort required.

As mentioned, the issue is with felling trees that are 20” or more in diameter and bucking oaks that are 25-30” in diameter. It has and can do those sorts of things. Just not with ease or without extra effort.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #194  
I have a farm boss 290 and do it all with 1 saw. Would love to have a light saw also, but I rarely use this saw.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #195  
A sharp steel chain will cut circles around a carbide chain. Cutting stuff besides wood will quickly destroy either chain and the carbide takes special equipment to sharpen.
You must be dreaming.....the cutter profile is exactly the same and the carbide will outlast HSS many times over. As for sharpening yeah it takes special equpment but I have yet to need resharpening and I have felled and cut up a **** ton of dead ash.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #196  
You must be dreaming.....the cutter profile is exactly the same and the carbide will outlast HSS many times over. As for sharpening yeah it takes special equpment but I have yet to need resharpening and I have felled and cut up a **** ton of dead ash.

Carbide will not sharpen to as sharp of an edge as steel that’s fact. Yes under normal use carbide will outlast steel but if you hit imbedded gravel or metal either chain is very quickly dulled. And you’re wrong about the profile. Carbide is more blunt than a steel chain.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #197  
Carbide will not sharpen to as sharp of an edge as steel that’s fact. Yes under normal use carbide will outlast steel but if you hit imbedded gravel or metal either chain is very quickly dulled.
Exactly.

There were (maybe still are?) some folks making chain that was something like carbide impregnated steel. This allowed them to get a similar cutting edge profile as the steel chain, but it lost much of the longevity of a true carbide tip on the cutters (while still ruining an ordinary file if you tried to use it to resharpen). The true carbide tipped cutters can't be made to the same profile - carbid needs a bit of bulk behind it to avoid chipping or shattering.

If your true carbide-tipped chain cuts as fast as your steel chain, you've got a problem with your steel chain.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #198  
If your true carbide-tipped chain cuts as fast as your steel chain, you've got a problem with your steel chain.
Exactly. If Mark put a new steel chain on his saw he’d be blown away with the performance.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #199  
I was a very good arborist and my saws would cut with the best.
I never used carbide chains. Thet were used for folks cutting stumps or roots or other dirty wood.
A professionally sharpened steel chain will outcut carbide or even new factory chains.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #200  
Not picking sides. Just sharing some info from Stihl...
Enjoy!