Need a recommendation: log splitters

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #11  
The engine doesn't really matter. The predator is the gold standard and it's $200 for a 212cc

Honda, Briggs, predator. All these 212s are reliable for ever

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters
The engine doesn't really matter. The predator is the gold standard and it's $200 for a 212cc

Hidden, interesting information - I had not considered the HFreight option at all - certainly reasonable cost wise and the reviews are great. So, now I am wondering if it is the way to go given that I would be splitting about a cord a year - my guess. But I also want it to be able to go vertical and this one does not appear to do that. Still checking. The Predator engines do have great reviews overall and it seems the same company making those also makes B and Stratton - at least some of them. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #13  

I can understand not wanting to pay more for a Honda engine. They cost more then any of the other brands out there.

I cannot understand anybody saying that a Briggs or Predator engine is in the same league as a Honda small engine. Nothing is in the same league as a Honda small engine. It is what the other brands try to claim to be as good as, or almost as good as, but isn't.

If you want your splitter to still start for you ten years from now, get one with a Honda engine. Run gas that does not contain ethanol.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #14  
I have a 25 ton Yardmachines? Briggs with 12 years on it now ,Unbelievably still always starts within 4 pulls. I wore out the pump coupler and replaced it for $7 .

Been a great splitter , not the fastest but it has split anything I have needed.

Attachments

• splitting wood 006.jpg
    splitting wood 006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #15  
I have a 25 ton Yardman Briggs with 12 years on it now ,Unbelievably still always starts within 4 pulls. I wore out the pump coupler and replaced it for $7 .

Been a great splitter , not the fastest but it has split anything I have needed.
Agree...the Speeco with the 10.5 hp Briggs I have is now 17 years old. I run it out of fuel going into winter, always use E0 fuel, change the oil every couple years....starts with 1-3 pulls. Other than a squirrel chewing a hole in the fuel tank, it has been flawless.

Last edited:
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #16  
I can understand not wanting to pay more for a Honda engine. They cost more then any of the other brands out there.

I cannot understand anybody saying that a Briggs or Predator engine is in the same league as a Honda small engine. Nothing is in the same league as a Honda small engine. It is what the other brands try to claim to be as good as, or almost as good as, but isn't.

If you want your splitter to still start for you ten years from now, get one with a Honda engine. Run gas that does not contain ethanol.
Eddie, no offense but I have more trouble with the honda's over the years then the Briggs, between 3 houses prolly 35+ small engines. I have every size honda, and brigs made and 3 of the pred's, they all run fine overall, and I use ethanol in everything. I haven't worn a single engine out in my life, nor do I ever expect to.

my echo's are by far my easiest starting engines.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #17  
Agree...the Speeco with the 10.5 hp Briggs I have is now 17 years old. I run it out of fuel going into winter, never always use E0 fuel, change the oil every couple years....starts with 1-3 pulls. Other than a squirrel chewing a hole in the fuel tank, it has been flawless.

I may have misquoted the brand- thinking it is Yard Machines splitter has a full I beam.
I switched the Briggs to full synthetic within the first couple hours run time.

Last edited:
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #18  
From what I have read, the Predator engine is a carbon copy of the Honda engine, parts are even interchangeable. But quality of machining is not the same, the Honda is still a better motor. For the money spent, it is hard to beat the value of the Predator. You can buy 4 of them for the price of a Honda.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #19  
So how big of logs are you splitting?

I was talking to an old logger a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they had cedar logs about 15 foot in diameter and 40 foot long. Too big for a single log load. So they had to be quartered before hauling out.

Rather than getting a bunch of loggers with sledges and wedges, they would drill holes in the logs, and stick in a few sticks of dynamite... and get a nice split the length of the log.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #20  
Eddie, no offense but I have more trouble with the honda's over the years then the Briggs, between 3 houses prolly 35+ small engines. I have every size honda, and brigs made and 3 of the pred's, they all run fine overall, and I use ethanol in everything. I haven't worn a single engine out in my life, nor do I ever expect to.

my echo's are by far my easiest starting engines.
I like my Echo chainsaw a lot. Much easier to start than my Stihl or Husqvarna chainsaws. If I ever buy another chainsaw, it will be an Echo.