Need a recommendation: log splitters

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I'm back for another recommendation (last week I followed your advice regarding a PTO chipper). I am now looking at log splitters. It would only be for personal use, i.e., we are not selling firewood to others. I don't really know how much we would be splitting - as it would only be used for the larger diameter logs/trunks, I am guessing maybe a cord or so a year from the logs we would need to split - maybe less, but actually I just don't know. I have decided that splitting those with a mall is not as much fun as it used to be.

Anyway - I am thinking 25-35 ton (they seem able to handle the diameter of the larger pieces we have), and have looked mostly at Champion, Yardmax, and Countryline (TSC) - they seem appropriate size-wise and budget-wise. These are available at the big box stores - and although TSC's prices are competitive, they charge a hefty delivery fee even if it is sent to the store. I have watched a few videos, and determined I want a half beam unit (if Yardmax - that is clearly recommended based on convenience of controls - I don't know if it is even a 'thing' with other brands), and although the Yardmax has a couple of features I don't find elsewhere (a 4 way wedge accessory, and a bottom turn table if in the vertical position), apparently none of the units sold in California offer those features (and aftermarket 4 wap splitters don't fit these and have issures) - at least I have not found those locally and the Yardmax site advises they have no units in stock (??). And I find that some units cannot be sold in California - of course.

All I have looked at have automatic return. The Champion units - their specs anyway - have a faster cycle time between the splitting.

Anyway, before I bite the bullet, I thought I would ask for advice here - I likely have not considered everything in the process. Thanks in advance.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #2  
I have a 25 ton Yardmax and I like it. I bought it used a couple of years ago for about $800 which I think was a deal. I have a 4 way wedge for mine but don’t like it. If you have the perfect size logs it might be ok but it just didn’t work for me. I’m not sure one brand is that much better unless you spend big dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #3  
I think mine is a 22 ton. It’s got a 5 hp Honda on it and I got it from Northern about 20 years ago. It has worked great and never given me any trouble. I change the oil in the engine once a year and split 7-8 face cords a year with it.

It can be used vertical or horizintal. I leave it horizontal for the smaller stuff, and vertical for bigger stuff. It has an automatic return and a two speed power stroke. It will push that wedge thru sideways if you want, and has never failed to split anything I’ve tried it on, no matter how knotty it was.

The key to it running and staring good all the time is to only use ethanol free gas in it.
IMG_4288.jpeg

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #4  
I am very pleased with the performance (speed and power) and build quality of the Timber Wolf TW-2.
I traded in a TW-1 . Over 20 years of no issue use.
That's a log load each year. (app 7 cords)
It takes me a month to cut split & stack in the shed, but I'm old and only cut for an hour, split for and hour, stack for an hour, on good days ;-) The TW-2 is WAY FASTER than I am.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #5  
I still have my old Didier 25 ton splitter. Used for ten years. Split six cord per year. It had two speeds and worked just fine on our knottiest pines.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #6  
So... this question is like asking which tractor to buy... :ROFLMAO:

But for your use I don't think you will go wrong with any of the brands (Champion, Yardmax, and Countryline) you are looking at... We have a Timberwolf with a log lift, 4-way, output grate & as much as I love our splitter for our use, it is probably overkill for yours & way more money...

Couple of things:

The 4-way on any of those machines will most likely only work adequately on the smaller stuff for you, & you mention it only be used for the larger diameter logs/trunks, which you will most likely use the single wedge one (depending on the type of wood you are splitting), so may not be a deal breaker on the other units.

You mention your thinking a cord or so a year, which is not much, so any of these machines will handle it. I say that because a lot of people get stuck on cycle time... I've never needed my splitter to be faster, like you personal use only... We split 5 - 6 cords a year & I have never needed my splitter to be faster even when I have a helper. Just saying don't get hung up on those numbers for your use.

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #7  
I have a Speeco 25 ton LS401216 with a 10.5hp Briggs and 16gpm pump. The bigger pump gives you the faster cycle times. Some of the 25 ton units had a 11gpm pump and a smaller engine but they were slower. When looking at splitters, know what pump they have, cylinder size, and how much oil they have in the tank. Some splitters sold don't have much oil and the oil can get very hot. Also, look at the layout design and where you want to stand as some can be awkward for your situation. Does it have a log lift, log rest, and which way does the split pieces go? The 25 ton has always done what I asked of it and never had ANY problems. I never really like using my splitter in the vertical position unless I had to. I would rather split the big rounds into 4-6 pieces by hand, then lift them to the splitter.

Last edited:
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #8  
I bought a 25 ton? Husky from TSC 25+ years ago. It has a Honda engine on it. I burn 5-7 cords per year so it has seen a lot of use. I replace the hydraulic filter every other year and change the engine oil yearly. I did have to replace the main cylinder two years ago as it sprung a pinhole leak. I replaced the carb and did have to work on the control valve once when it wouldn't stay in the retract mode, but overall it has been a solid splitter.

I would research the engines used, and pick the one that has the engine you are most comfortable with.

One "feature" of mine is the full length I beam. Just a few years ago I realized I can set an 8' 4x4 on the bottom web and roll medium size sections up to the beam. For really large stuff the vertical function is used. The Yardmax turntable would be worthless for the use I would give it.

My cycle times are not fast as I have a single speed pump. But as I am getting older, I am just not in that big of a hurry.

As mentioned above ask about the oil, and check the level before leaving the store. My splitter has a pretty good sized tank, but it did not have enough oil in it to fully extend the cylinder. I bought over 5 gallons of oil to get it up to the mark.

Doug in SW IA

/ Need a recommendation: log splitters #9  
TSC I have split white an red oak, poplar, hickory and it has not stopped with any of it.

Attachments

• 20220831_165352.jpg
    20220831_165352.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
   / Need a recommendation: log splitters #10  
In my opinion, the most important thing when looking at something with a small engine is the engine. I also believe that Honda makes the best small engine out there. When I bought my log splitter, the engine was what I looked at. If it had a Honda engine, then I was interested. If it didn't, I had no interest in it.

I bought mine from Lowes a dozen years ago, and it still runs strong and starts on the first or second pull. It's 27 ton's, but I'd have to go outside to look at it to tell you the brand. It's well known, but not sold at Lowes anymore.

Second most important thing for small engines is buying Ethanol Free Gas. The difference is significant in how quick they start, and how much smoother they run. I also believe they have more power, but that's just a feeling that I have. It doesn't matter how much farther I have to drive, or how much more it costs to buy, I'm only using gas in those engines that does not have ethanol!!!!

They rest of the log splitter is about the same in all the different brands. Hydraulics, design, size, is all secondary. Buy the best engine out there.

27500492_10215624377025181_864574153257601442_o.jpg