Recommendations for wood chipper for small material

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #11  
I have a Wallenstein BX42 and have been very happy with it. It is rugged and simple, not much to break or maintain. It does not have power feed, but self-feeds pretty well if you keep the knives and anvil sharp and properly adjusted. The way the hopper is designed, it is easy to load any sized branches, including bundles of the small stuff. It has a "twig-breaker" in the rotor housing that theoretically breaks up smaller diameter things that get through the cutters, but sometimes it still throws out foot-long twigs. Will take up to 4" branches.
100_0808.JPG

Wallenstein doesn't make this model anymore, and even if they did, I probably wouldn't buy one because they have a VERY sparse dealer network and you can't order online from them.

However, Titan Attachments sells a clone of the BX42, I mean it is identical except for the stickers, and you can order online from them. They are also relatively cheap ($2200 ish). So I would probably get the BX42 clone from Titan if I were buying again.

That being said, if I wanted a power feed model, I would be looking closely at the Woodland Mills units. I like the fact that their hydraulic feed system is self-contained, i.e., don't need to tie into the tractor system. Maybe others are like that too, haven't done much research. I have a Woodland Mills stump grinder and their products seem to be good quality and ordering/shipping was easy, so presume their chippers are decent too.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material
Thanks guys for taking the time to help out. It is very much appreciated. I will check out all of the units you mention. One change in my search though - the rest of the family (SIL, daughter, wife) told me today that they much prefer a gas unit and not a PTO unit as they may use it when I am not always available and they don't want to learn - or hassle with - the PTO part of it, and there may times that a tractor will not be ideal due to terrain and forest and the tractor may be needed to bring material to the chipper as it is being used. They prefer something they can pull with the ATV. Again - thanks.

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #13  
1710498188505.jpeg

Rent a forestry mulcher

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #14  
I just bought a WoodMaxx MX-8600. Have 8.1 hours on it now. Great machine very pleased with the purchase. They make some stand alone models as well. The quality and build integrity of the machine stands out IMO vs some others. They also offer a Veteran discount.

I had an 8HP Simplicity prior. It was simply too small and required too much effort for the yield. It worked well but without a feed system you had to stand there most of the time. I looked at Woodland Mills as well (all Chinese made). I wanted a US made unit (WoodMaxx also sells foreign made units) and with the MX Series hydrostatic feed sytem it is a bit of a game changer. Good luck in your decision.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #15  
We are in the California foothills too, so probably doing the same type of material. I'm happy with the woodland mills wc68 I bought last year. Cost around $3k if I remember correctly. Works great behind my little tractor. Took them less than a week to ship it to me.

We got fed up with burning because of all the wildfire smoke we've been putting up with the last few years. Oak chips make great mulch in the garden.
We also bought a Woodland Mills WC68, for the exact same purpose as beowolf. We shred tons of Wisteria vines routinely. The WC68 handles small trees up to around 5"-6" fine with our little 29hp Kubota. There's no way I'm willing to chance burning here in the middle of a million pine trees.

A small chipper like we have is money well spent.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #16  
Maybe KacKissic has a model that fits your needs.......This company has been making their products (USA) for many years with good quality and service.......here is mine........
001.JPG

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #17  
Chipping and shredding are two different operations, although many manufacturers/marketeers combine them in an attempt to be all things to all people. Shredding us usually done by a drum with either fixed or swinging teeth that macerates material until it is forced out through a screen, typically with 3/4" holes. Chipping is usually done by blades on a disc (that may be one end of the shredding drum) that chip against an anvil. The combination machines are typically gas powered (<10hp) with a max chipping capacity of 3"and a shredding capacity of 1/2", however the machines invite abuse, and operators often exceed intended capacities.
Power and the momentum of rotating parts are helpful.

There is space around the moving parts, and often larger than expected pieces are produced. When shredding with my rebuilt Kemp, 6" - 8" stalks that are fortuitously presented end-on to the 3/4" holes pass through. Vines tend to get wrapped around the axle. Although the blade to anvil distance on my 6" Salsco chipper is set to 5/16" it will often eject 1/2" x 2" x 6" chips, and as mentioned above, pliant twigs of 1/8" diameter are thrown out as "birds' nests".

My suggestion is to start with a well-regarded gas powered chipper-shredder such as oldballs' MacKissic. There is less capital outlay, more versatility, and you will keep the other potential operators happy.

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #18  
A funny thing happened on the way to the woodpile.

My first chipper-shredder was a 3" capacity chipper, and I rationalized that any thing over 3" was firewood. I further discoverd that the narrow in-feed chute would not accept knotty, gnarly, or bowed branches, so many of those were considered firewood. The first PTO powered chipper I used was a 4" Wally with a 4" x 10" opening that would accept those knotty, gnarly, or bowed branches. As I looked at a 3-4" limb I realized I could take the time to buck it into a couple of 4" logs, a dozen or more 2-3" logs and feed the dozen or more remaining branches into the chipper, pick up the 12 to 20 logs, place them in the cart, haul them, remove them from the cart, and stack them in the woodpile to be later moved to the woodbox and then to the fire, OR I could just put the one limb through the chipper.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #19  
Thanks guys for taking the time to help out. It is very much appreciated. I will check out all of the units you mention. One change in my search though - the rest of the family (SIL, daughter, wife) told me today that they much prefer a gas unit and not a PTO unit as they may use it when I am not always available and they don't want to learn - or hassle with - the PTO part of it, and there may times that a tractor will not be ideal due to terrain and forest and the tractor may be needed to bring material to the chipper as it is being used. They prefer something they can pull with the ATV. Again - thanks.
I understand the rest of your family's desire for a nonPTO unit. While there are self powered chippers, in my experience, it is all too easy to find underpowered models.

FWIW: many of the pull behind shredders don't have a lot of power and that translates into slow processing. If the plan is to do vines, leaves and some small twigs, they are great and will produce a finely shredded material.

I would try renting one first to see how it does with what you want to use it for.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #20  
I had a residential style chipper a long time ago. Maybe 5-8 hp, don't recall. Ended up selling it because of the time it took to feed material through it.

The ease with which you can transport it to where you need to chip is also very important.