My 135 Journey

/ My 135 Journey #41  
Back at it after another pause and trying to get this thing up and running. One item I do not see in these drawings but in the factory wiring diagrams is the inverter. Can someone explain what the inverter does exactly?

I can't imagine what an "inverter" is doing on that old MF. I've been wiring for a long time & not run across that term in old systems. Can you give more details? Post a factory schematic might help.

BTW, I am not impressed with the pictorial of a wiring scheme in your post #38. I imagine by now you've figured out that it has problems.
rScotty

/ My 135 Journey
It appears that it only feeds the gauge lights as mentioned earlier.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 215553.jpg

/ My 135 Journey #43  
Yes you have a kind of fluorescent gage lights. I have them too

/ My 135 Journey #44  
Yes you have a kind of fluorescent gage lights. I have them too
looks that way to me too. It appears you have some sort of gauge light that is different from the normal heated filiment 12 volt type.
Some searching ..... And HERE IT IS!

Electroluminescent gauge lights. Used in the 1966/67 MOPAR automobile world. So the year is even correct.
Transister oscillator (inverter) takes 12VDC in and outputs 250 vac @ 250 hz. Miniscule current.
This is a new one on me, but that makes it a very old but technically a traditional semiconductor inverter.
I see that there are several online sources for more modern electroluminescent inverters. I'd use one of those.

A lot of the wiring in these old tractors had to do with the voltage regulators and DC generators. Then later on the first eary alternators had external rectifiers as well as having their own different voltage regulator. Now that you have changed over to an modern alternator with built in (inboard) rectifier and voltage regulator - much preferable, BTW.... you have no use for all that wiring that used to drive the various outboard rectifiers and voltage regulators.

Looking good.
rScotty

/ My 135 Journey #45  
May be a bit late, but a small boat style fuse/distribution box may help in the rewire process. Being a diesel, the wiring is pretty simple and can be done in small bits or "zones" gauge lights can all be daisy chained together and tied into the main light switch (no need to tap off the ignition wire). A power distribution block can help with always on 12v power if needed or even switched power. Then just wire each gauge up to each sensor as indicated on the gauge's instruction. When I went to an alternator on my mf35 I disconnected the amp meter, but put a voltage meter in it's place. Simple ground and wire to the battery is all that was needed. Modern amp meters may have a shunt to make them easier to wire in. I was parting out a few Grand Cherokee's and used the battery cable wire and alternator wire from them to hook up to my starter and alternator. It looks bit more modern as they have some nice connectors and the wire was nice and flexible.

I love seeing the pictures and progress on freshening this girl up! Can't wait to see more.

/ My 135 Journey #46  
get that thing back together ASAP! Pretty paint won't make it work any better. These are rugged machine but you can do some damage if you "refurbish" too much at once. If you can't put it in the shed overnight, make absolutely sure those rubber boots on the gear levers are perfect. Thermostats are often stuck open on older tractors, if you have the fuel tank off it's worth checking this out.

/ My 135 Journey #47  
had the earlier version TO 35 w/different engine for 28 yrs, but same era & quality. You've done well... reminds us back when simple was enough.

/ My 135 Journey #48  
This gives me inspiration to fix up my 65 135 Perkins. Wiring is all a mess but she runs great. Just a matter of figuring it all out.
IMG_20230522_152054_136.jpg
20190519_103544.jpg
20190528_104427.jpg
20190528_101327.jpg
20190519_103553.jpg
20190528_101316.jpg

/ My 135 Journey #50  
you're doing an outstanding job so far. the end product will be true vintage
i had the TO35, predecessor to yours, for 28 yrs, with a different engine. yours i think is a Perkins 3 cyl. commendable work

Last edited: