MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements?

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I’m a pretty big OEM guy but when I searched a replacement seat on Messicks…for some reason I thought I could probably find an equal quality option for less than $530!

Any recommendations?

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #2  
Not sure the OEM seat is worth $500 :oops: It's not that comfortable. TS has some decent seats for half the price but some modification may be needed. Put one of the $250 TS seats on my old tractor once. It was okay.

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #3  
IMO, a quality tractor seat is worth every penny, especially as you get older.

I spent the extra money on a Kubota air ride seat, made by Grammer, for my MX5800.

Yes, they are pricey but if you put a lot of hours on your tractor, your back will thank you many times over!

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #4  
If the frame is OK then take the seat to a upholstery shop and they
can fix you up with what ever kind of material you want o;r check
with a body shop and perhaps they can steer you in the right direction

willy

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #5  

willy
Yep. Good idea. Any auto upholstery shop should be able to rebuild the seat and add a better foundation cushion. And maybe the new armrests for the MX6000 could be added.

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements?

willy
Hmmmm, hadn’t considered that.

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #7  
If you go the reupholster route, do the up/down slides as well as they wear and stick with dust etc, instead of smooth bump absorbtion.

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #8  
Personally, I think Grammer seats suck. I had one in my cab M9 and I took it out and replaced with a Seats, Incorporated real seat. I also replaced the shi**y seat on my open station M9 with a cordura covered Talon seat and Michigan seat suspension system. Kubota seats are insanely priced for a molded vinyl seat that only nets you a sweaty butt and an empty wallet. I spend a lot of hours in my seats running hay and the last thing I want is a sweaty butt or a crappy seat that lacks even rudimentary adjustments like the Grammer seat don't have. Both of them went to the curb and some dumpster diver snatched them both.

Far as I am concerned, the last thing on Kubota's mind is a quality seat. I don't much care of it's Kubota branded or not. A crappy seat is a crappy seat and Kubota excels in selling overpriced crappy vinyl and crappy Grammer seats for inflated prices. I don't play that game and never will.

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #9  
Why are seats cracking? Its just another thing to service and maintain now. The tractor companies with their China suppliers have removed the UV protective additive from their formulations. Seats in the past lasted 20+ years, today, the expensive seats only last 5 years if you are lucky enough.

On the Yanmar Tractor Owners Forum with the Deere siblings, we've gotten tired of the $80 to $200 seat replacements every few years now. Its gotten so bad, the only viable solution now are Marine boat seats with the thicker material and UV protection like before.

Atwood makes this really nice seat,
Needing orange, there are far and few choices. People just go with black or the camo.

View attachment 2611892

You get two of the seat for the price of 1 lousy tractor version sold today.
  • DESIGN:high-back boat seat design ideal for fishing and boating, aluminum hinges enable backrest to be flipped down, creating more space.
  • DURABLE: durable seat can withstand the long-term rigors of a marine environment.
  • BOAT SEAT DIMENSION: Height 21.5 ” X Width 17.3 ” X Depth 17.5 ”, Weight Limit :250 Ibs.
  • MATERIAL:compression foam padding remains firm after long-term use.Marine grade heavy duty polyester.
  • INSTALLATION: easy to install on any standard 5" X 5" fishing pedestals or swivels, 4 stainless steel mounting screws included. No swivel/pedestal included.
  • NOTE: Photo may slightly different from Actual Item in Terms of color due to the lighting during Photo Shooting or the Monitor's display.
Some of the Deere 50, 55, 70 and 90 series compact tractors have the option for the 30 degree seat swivel. Basically it's just the boat seat swivel. And much of the time the seat mounting is identical to plenty of tractor seats too from the 1980s to now.

I found a Wise boat seat at an estate sale this past summer for a mere $15. And it came with the swivel on the base. It was never used.

View attachment 2611893

Yes, this is a very low end marine seat as the bottom uses the plastic typar, yet it will outlast any of the modern tractor seats out there today. I have laid in an underseat bezel to keep material from coming loose. Hey for $15, I couldn't pass up the deal. :) The seat goes for $25 and the swivel for $20.

Atwood does have one with some orange in it,
1701918765460.png

Wise makes this one,
1701918873776.png

other gray/black types,
1701919175094.png

1701919253126.png

Get 2 for the price of 1. Thus, a spare,
1701919388099.png

1701919435669.png

/ MX seat is giving up the ghost, replacements? #10  
Why are seats cracking? Its just another thing to service and maintain now. The tractor companies with their China suppliers have removed the UV protective additive from their formulations. Seats in the past lasted 20+ years, today, the expensive seats only last 5 years if you are lucky enough.

On the Yanmar Tractor Owners Forum with the Deere siblings, we've gotten tired of the $80 to $200 seat replacements every few years now. Its gotten so bad, the only viable solution now are Marine boat seats with the thicker material and UV protection like before.

Atwood makes this really nice seat,
Needing orange, there are far and few choices. People just go with black or the camo.

View attachment 2611892

You get two of the seat for the price of 1 lousy tractor version sold today.
  • DESIGN:high-back boat seat design ideal for fishing and boating, aluminum hinges enable backrest to be flipped down, creating more space.
  • DURABLE: durable seat can withstand the long-term rigors of a marine environment.
  • BOAT SEAT DIMENSION: Height 21.5 ” X Width 17.3 ” X Depth 17.5 ”, Weight Limit :250 Ibs.
  • MATERIAL:compression foam padding remains firm after long-term use.Marine grade heavy duty polyester.
  • INSTALLATION: easy to install on any standard 5" X 5" fishing pedestals or swivels, 4 stainless steel mounting screws included. No swivel/pedestal included.
  • NOTE: Photo may slightly different from Actual Item in Terms of color due to the lighting during Photo Shooting or the Monitor's display.
Some of the Deere 50, 55, 70 and 90 series compact tractors have the option for the 30 degree seat swivel. Basically it's just the boat seat swivel. And much of the time the seat mounting is identical to plenty of tractor seats too from the 1980s to now.

I found a Wise boat seat at an estate sale this past summer for a mere $15. And it came with the swivel on the base. It was never used.

View attachment 2611893

Yes, this is a very low end marine seat as the bottom uses the plastic typar, yet it will outlast any of the modern tractor seats out there today. I have laid in an underseat bezel to keep material from coming loose. Hey for $15, I couldn't pass up the deal. :) The seat goes for $25 and the swivel for $20.

Atwood does have one with some orange in it,
View attachment 835892

Wise makes this one,
View attachment 835893
other gray/black types,
View attachment 835894

View attachment 835896

Get 2 for the price of 1. Thus, a spare,
View attachment 835898

View attachment 835899
I just bought a cordura fabric Durafit seat cover soon after I bought my tractor. The cover was less than $40 and protects the seat from UV and keeps the seat cool in the sun.