MT225S cold start question

/ MT225S cold start question #21  
Another update from me. I picked my tractor up today. That’s right, been at the dealer since mid December, it’s Feb 10th today.
It still starts the same. No improvement.
below 32 degrees and it better be plugged in. They replaced the battery, the battery cables, checked all the glow plugs and related relays and timers, the starter, and even replaced a governor that LS thought might be the problem.
still won’t start unless plugged in below 32 degrees, so I guess in the end that is my answer.
Wish I had better news.
At least my Barn where it’s parked has electricity.
Yjmoose.
I have practice cycling the key switch suggested by another forum member. I actually does start easier. I don’t have block heater nor heated barn. But unit does crank hard with 10-30w diesel oil but it will fire up after belching a lot of back smoke. No doubt yanmar engine does not like cold weather. I noticed it takes for ever to warm up even when under load. At least the tractor and I share same feelings on cold weather near or below 0 degrees it’s no pleasant.

/ MT225S cold start question #22  
When I bought mine back in January last year, turning the key to On produced the glow indicator for a few seconds and it disappeared. I rolled on over to Start and it cranked for about 5 seconds and lit off without the light coming back on.

On colder days, I turned the key to On and when the light went out I cycled back to Off and back to On to get it on again. Maybe did it a second time. This got a faster light off, maybe a second or two in duration.

This week I noticed that the light still comes on initially and goes back out but if I crank more than a couple of seconds with the light off, it comes back on till the engine lights off.

It seems that glow plugs have a limited life....per what I read, not what I have experienced over the years, having as many as 7 diesel tractors at one time and never having to replace a glow plug, and per literature LS is attempting to strike a medium between glow plug and starter life.

/ MT225S cold start question #23  
Another update from me. I picked my tractor up today. That’s right, been at the dealer since mid December, it’s Feb 10th today.
It still starts the same. No improvement.
below 32 degrees and it better be plugged in. They replaced the battery, the battery cables, checked all the glow plugs and related relays and timers, the starter, and even replaced a governor that LS thought might be the problem.
still won’t start unless plugged in below 32 degrees, so I guess in the end that is my answer.
Wish I had better news.
At least my Barn where it’s parked has electricity.
Yjmoose.
I realize that you have a new tractor and did not get what I would consider an acceptable answer from the dealer.
I would be tempted to find the final relay that feeds the glow plugs and add in a temporary momentary on switch and feed to activate that relay for a manual control of the glow plugs.

/ MT225S cold start question #24  
I realize that you have a new tractor and did not get what I would consider an acceptable answer from the dealer.
I would be tempted to find the final relay that feeds the glow plugs and add in a temporary momentary on switch and feed to activate that relay for a manual control of the glow plugs.
Within in this thread it was noted the time delay for the glow plugs is software driven. I don’t know if it’s yanmar or LS interface. But this tractor is ran by wire not mechanical linkage.

/ MT225S cold start question #25  
It will still have a relay for the glow plugs.

/ MT225S cold start question
I've noticed that the glow plug on-time does seem to vary by temp. Still no difference between turning the key to on or using the always on position (CWW turn). I've been cycling the plugs on 5-6 times prior to cranking. So far, it's never failed to fire up and we've had some weeks of below-zero temps. Other than white-bottle Diesel 911, I've not done anything extra.

I have been pretty diligent about allowing the engine to warm up for 10-15 minutes and allowing the pump to circulate prior to trying to move, etc. Seems to be working and I've had no problems this winter. My first tractor so I have zero practical knowledge.

I am glad I went with a rear-mount blower. Yes, a pain going backwards but I use the bucket to back-drag a path for my oil guy, etc.

Looks like LS now has a hard cab for the MT225 so hoping I will have one of those in the next year or so

/ MT225S cold start question #27  
274746655_10158551840235983_8945436752809305951_n.jpg

I'm glad I didn't need my one and only outlet this morning for my tractor, it was used to heat up my Chevy Cruze Diesel. It was still "cranky".

/ MT225S cold start question #28  
I've noticed that the glow plug on-time does seem to vary by temp. Still no difference between turning the key to on or using the always on position (CWW turn). I've been cycling the plugs on 5-6 times prior to cranking. So far, it's never failed to fire up and we've had some weeks of below-zero temps. Other than white-bottle Diesel 911, I've not done anything extra.

I have been pretty diligent about allowing the engine to warm up for 10-15 minutes and allowing the pump to circulate prior to trying to move, etc. Seems to be working and I've had no problems this winter. My first tractor so I have zero practical knowledge.

I am glad I went with a rear-mount blower. Yes, a pain going backwards but I use the bucket to back-drag a path for my oil guy, etc.

Looks like LS now has a hard cab for the MT225 so hoping I will have one of those in the next year or so
What rear most blower did u get....Model and pic please.

/ MT225S cold start question
I ended up going with a Woodmax SB-60 blower. I looked at a couple of others but pickings were pretty slim in December. It weighs nearly 700 pounds so no traction issues, ever

Attachments

• LS.jpg
    LS.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 55