Mounting tire chains

/ Mounting tire chains #111  
i just put the chains on the tractor today/... always a fun chore
I put mine on last week, now waiting to get to use the tractor. The atv has been cleaning up the few inches we've picked up.

/ Mounting tire chains #112  
had 4" of snow today....no plans on doing anything with it. will get warmer later this week. high yesterday 22, today 28, wed its supposed to me 39/

/ Mounting tire chains #113  
Not far off from what I do.
But this year my jack quit (OH coming up) so I used a small bottle jack.
I also use 'bungee' cords to help hold as I roll the tire loading my studded chains.

But all is well now as we've experienced our 2nd snow event.
No sheered bolts, frozen ground, all good to go 'til next spring.
I first lift the wheels off of the ground and crib them. I then pull the Schrader valves out of the tires to deflate my tires (because the beet juice clogs the valves when they are merely cracked open and makes a mess). Once deflated, I then reinstall the valves back int the valve stems. I then puzzle out which way the forestry studs should go and then (ideally) have a buddy helping so that while one of us is using a chain binder to pull the chains together at the top of the tire, the other person is adjusting the chains draping on the sides that get caught on the tire lugs. The second person also supplies an extra set of hands to screw in the pins into the clevises that my chains use to hold the chains together.

After the chains are mounted, I install a spring-loaded tensioner to help keep the chains biased toward the outside of wheel, air the tires back up to 25psi, and finally drop the tractor back down onto the ground ready to go!

IMG_1486.jpeg
IMG_1500.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpeg

/ Mounting tire chains #115  
View attachment 724187

I mounted chains all around yesterday, we have mostly slushy summers in Montana anymore. Wetsnow/rain/freeze/ice........I have a FEL plow, so steering gets light all the time. Figured it was time to chain up on all four.
Kalispell is so mild anymore. I think the last major winter the whole NW MT area has had was 1996-97 when I was in Libby. We left Kal 4yrs ago for a real wintery high elevation area south of Jackson WY and tooled up into a Kioti NX6010 to combat the constant wind drifting. But when we move back to MT it's questionable if I'll need that much tractor again.

Attachments

• 20210204_092933.jpg
    20210204_092933.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
   / Mounting tire chains #116  
Kalispell is so mild anymore. I think the last major winter the whole NW MT area has had was 1996-97 when I was in Libby. We left Kal 4yrs ago for a real wintery high elevation area south of Jackson WY and tooled up into a Kioti NX6010 to combat the constant wind drifting. But when we move back to MT it's questionable if I'll need that much tractor again.
Yeah, they've had whinings about warnings of winterstorms of 1 - 2 feet over the passes, and it was never below 34F all weekend even at night. So I didn't get ANY snow.

/ Mounting tire chains #117  
The first time I tried to plow snow with the 4105, I spun around a couple times, and ended up in the apple orchard,,
That resulted in a photogenic picture, but, no snow got plowed,,

ayLQTXt.jpg

The 4105 has a HST, and no steering brakes, without steering brakes, the tractor needs front chains in snow.
I happened to have a set of chains that came with a Mitsubishi MT372, from LONG ago.

Those chains dropped right on the front of the JD 4105.

DWduSSU.jpg

No fighting, no jack is needed, simply lay the chain over the tire, and flip the lever on the outside hook.
Put the tensioner on, plow snow.

The 584 IH has not had snow duty since I figured out how to chain the front tires on the 4105,,

S0ZFHTR.jpg

/ Mounting tire chains #118  
For us smaller tractor guys (TC29D) I just jacked it up and turned tires by hand. Super easy for the size.

/ Mounting tire chains #119  
They had a fema warning posted for our area to expect 10-20” of snow. We got 4” then 40°. Now lots of slop.

Attachments

• E85453FE-29FE-4F7A-A7D6-AA4E4DF1887A.jpeg
    E85453FE-29FE-4F7A-A7D6-AA4E4DF1887A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 366

/ Mounting tire chains #120  
The first time I tried to plow snow with the 4105, I spun around a couple times, and ended up in the apple orchard,,
That resulted in a photogenic picture, but, no snow got plowed,,

ayLQTXt.jpg

Your rear blade looks like it would leak live a sieve! 🥴

…but many people’s driveways probably should be screened for “surprises” before a snowblower finds them.