Mounting tire chains

/ Mounting tire chains #102  
Thanks LouNY for posting your pics to help us out with a new idea. I'm on my tenth year of mounting chains and have made notes to myself and am getting better at it. I use the jack method now and find it not so difficult or frustrating. My happiest experience is to mount the chains and then never have enough snow that season to get in it.:D

Cheers,
MikeView attachment 579293View attachment 579294
That's my method also.
I generally use a bungee cord to hold the chain as I manually rotate a wheel to wrap the chain on then clip the inner followed by the outer.
Due to minimal fender clearance I also need inner and outer binders.
LOL, this year my jack bit the dust so I had to use a bottle jack.

/ Mounting tire chains #104  
Welcome, it took quite a few years for me to start doing this the directions came with one of my sets of chains 5-6 years ago.
I did one tire my way, then tried the way the directions said to, it surprised me to the first time.
I can't seem to visualize why you specify laying the chains out with the outside down.

/ Mounting tire chains #105  
I can't seem to visualize why you specify laying the chains out with the outside down.

because when you pick them up to lay them on top of the tire, the part that was facing down on the ground will now be facing up on the tire.

/ Mounting tire chains #106  
i just put the chains on the tractor today/... always a fun chore

/ Mounting tire chains #107  
That would be especially important if they are V bar ice or studded chains as mine are.
Not so if plain links.

But then even the cross bar attachments should also have the open ends facing outwards as should they stretch and open they could puncture the tire. (I occasionally need to re close some of mine)

/ Mounting tire chains
?????
from post #1;

1) lay the chains out with the outside, the ground contact side facing up
2) tie a short cord to the side chains, the length will depend on your tire size, on mine I end up with a V shape about 3 feet.
3) back up to your chain, take the cord and hang it on the tire treads.
4) drive forward slowly, stopping to spread the chain out on your tire.
5) continue doing this till you have rolled the chain up on the tire and have working room at the rear of the tire
6) your chain should be well centered on your tire and have very little slack.
7) fasten your chains.

/ Mounting tire chains #109  
IMG_2258.JPG

This is how I put them on. Similar to driving them on, but I just roll the tire and chains come up out of the pail. Easy to center when you can roll tire too.

/ Mounting tire chains #110  
View attachment 723711

This is how I put them on. Similar to driving them on, but I just roll the tire and chains come up out of the pail. Easy to center when you can roll tire too.
Not far off from what I do.
But this year my jack quit (OH coming up) so I used a small bottle jack.
I also use 'bungee' cords to help hold as I roll the tire loading my studded chains.

But all is well now as we've experienced our 2nd snow event.
No sheered bolts, frozen ground, all good to go 'til next spring.