Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Customer wants 12 acres of autumn olive, vines and small sweet gum cleared. Its all on a moderate slope. Too steep for my farm tractor with my 15 bush hog without possibility of getting stuck this time of year. Thinking of renting tracked skiddy with ambusher. Wondered if I want to consider mini ex with mulcher head.
Never mulched with one on a slope. Thought it would be more gentle on the ground to sit with blade facing downhill and rotate. Cant make a big tracked-up mess of this estate.
Am I on the right track so to speak? Would mini ex mulcher work ok on slope compared to tracked skiddy? Leave less ground disturbance?
On edit: also mulcher head on mini would pulverize those invasives into sawdust. Ambusher skiddy mower going to leave much bigger trash.

Last edited:
   / Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #2  
Wish I could help, but I'm just curious what everyone else has to say. This sounds like it could be very interesting!!!

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #3  
I think the mini ex mulcher because you have more reach might be half the tracks compared to the skid steer...

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #4  
Pictures?

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope
I have never seen a mini-midi with a mulcher head for RENT in my area. I could probably get enough work to justify buying a used midi/mulcher set up for 40k, but Im not sure enough to take the plunge. :laughing:
I can rent a skiddy with front brush mower anytime pretty cheap.

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #6  
I have never seen a mini-midi with a mulcher head for RENT in my area. I could probably get enough work to justify buying a used midi/mulcher set up for 40k, but Im not sure enough to take the plunge. :laughing:
I can rent a skiddy with front brush mower anytime pretty cheap.

How much is that? I’ve only found one place in town willing to rent one of those with a real muncher not disk mower and they wanted 1500 per day.

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #7  
the guy that did 2 acres of brush, dead trees (beetle kill) and branches used a 100 HP skid steer tracked unit and a front forestry mulcher. he did a super quick job. can handle hills and slopes easily. that thing just shredded everything...even roots.

/ Mini/midi ex land clearing on slope #8  
Customer wants 12 acres of autumn olive, vines and small sweet gum cleared. Its all on a moderate slope. Too steep for my farm tractor with my 15 bush hog without possibility of getting stuck this time of year. Thinking of renting tracked skiddy with ambusher. Wondered if I want to consider mini ex with mulcher head.
Never mulched with one on a slope. Thought it would be more gentle on the ground to sit with blade facing downhill and rotate. Cant make a big tracked-up mess of this estate.
Am I on the right track so to speak? Would mini ex mulcher work ok on slope compared to tracked skiddy? Leave less ground disturbance?
On edit: also mulcher head on mini would pulverize those invasives into sawdust. Ambusher skiddy mower going to leave much bigger trash.

Mini Excavator would work but will be considerably slower, any type of mulcher or forestry head requires considerable horsepower. My Kubota KX057-4 Excavator is right at 13,000 lb but only 47.6 Horsepower with 19.8 GPM Flow Rate at 2490 PSI, Compare that to the SVL 95 Track Loader at 11,300lbs But 96.4 HP with 23.1 GPM and 3553 PSI and thats not even the high flow

Mini Excavator would work but will be considerably slower, any type of mulcher or forestry head requires considerable horsepower. My Kubota KX057-4 Excavator is right at 13,000 lb but only 47.6 Horsepower with 19.8 GPM Flow Rate at 2490 PSI, Compare that to the SVL 95 Track Loader at 11,300lbs But 96.4 HP with 23.1 GPM and 3553 PSI and thats not even the high flow

Yeah but the mini ex head is 1/2 the size of the skiddy head.

Just so all know: if I rent a skid steer, it will have a rotary brush mower, NOT a mulcher head, so it won’t do as clean of a job, but its a $500/day rent not a $1200/day rent.
Would like to rent a skid with a mulcher, but I don’t want to scare them off with the price. :confused3: