Metal Thickness?

/ Metal Thickness? #101  
It looks like it’s just a base to hold the excavator and it’s not going to have tracks and be self propelled. It looks like you’ll have to pick up the front and drag it around.
Oh ya, the wheels mounted in the picture through me off.

/ Metal Thickness?
Making progress on the boom

Attachments

• 20230215_150323.jpg
    20230215_150323.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
   / Metal Thickness? #104  
Those are some nice looking cuts on all those plates.. how are you cutting?

/ Metal Thickness?
Those are some nice looking cuts on all those plates.. how are you cutting?

Most straight cuts were done with a grinder (can get straighter, and a cleaner cut)
The curves, mostly inside corners, were first cut on my CNC router into some 1/4" material, then the hand-held plasma cutter follows it as a jig or stencil.
Works...decently. I have to come back and clean off up the cuts with the grinder and a sanding disc, but it works.
This also worked as a manual 'nesting' method, to make sure I could get everything I needed out of one metal sheet.

It should also be noted the welding/fab desk caught fire numerous times.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-03-03-15h24m47s979.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-03-03-15h24m47s979.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
   / Metal Thickness? #106  
Well, im glad my hunch that those curves weren’t cut ‘freehand’ was correct so i dont have to nurse a sense of inferiority.. Sounds like your process is pretty good considering what you’re working with. I wonder if you can put a tiny bearing on a plasma cutter tip the way you can put a bearing on a router to follow an edge? Might make it smoother, but conductivity of the bearing is probably an issue.. lol.

As far catching the fab station on fire, it gets what it gets! Thats the beauty of owning/building all your stuff vs borrowing, renting, or paying through the nose for new.. You dont HAVE to care any more than you want to. 🙂

/ Metal Thickness?
Well, im glad my hunch that those curves weren’t cut ‘freehand’ was correct so i dont have to nurse a sense of inferiority.. Sounds like your process is pretty good considering what you’re working with. I wonder if you can put a tiny bearing on a plasma cutter tip the way you can put a bearing on a router to follow an edge? Might make it smoother, but conductivity of the bearing is probably an issue.. lol.

As far catching the fab station on fire, it gets what it gets! Thats the beauty of owning/building all your stuff vs borrowing, renting, or paying through the nose for new.. You dont HAVE to care any more than you want to. 🙂

I didnt want it to look home-made, as much as possible. Because of this I went with many rounds and special cuts - which granted took much longer, but hopefully gives me a nicer end result.
You can do it with a grinder, its just not fun a will probably take a cutting disk for every cut - but they arent $0.99 anymore.
I rounded the ends of the tubing with the grinder and a template.
I cut one side of seat base out with the grinder before saying F this and fired up the plasma.
You probably could use a bearing - but if you go slightly too fast once, it throws slag out the top instead of the bottom, buggering up the tip and surface. This would be a problem with a guide, where freeish hand, you just plow through it. (photo example attached)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-03-03-17h37m54s924.png
    vlcsnap-2023-03-03-17h37m54s924.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • vlcsnap-2023-03-03-17h42m29s937.png
    vlcsnap-2023-03-03-17h42m29s937.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
   / Metal Thickness? #108  

Maybe a shielded ceramic bearing?
1677896157820.png

/ Metal Thickness? #109  
i wonder? I have a chinesium cut50 i got for $136 off amazon. It’s been fine for me but i probably havent even made 10 ft of cuts with it so i havent even gotten comfortable let alone experimented with any ‘tricks’. Need more ‘seat time’.

/ Metal Thickness?
i wonder? I have a chinesium cut50 i got for $136 off amazon. It’s been fine for me but i probably havent even made 10 ft of cuts with it so i havent even gotten comfortable let alone experimented with any ‘tricks’. Need more ‘seat time’.

This is the Vevor Cut-50
It doesnt suck exactly, but my buddy has a Miller 625 Plasma Cutter (I think)
Its the smallest model that is both 110 and 220 - I used it twice; from what I remember it cut beautifully.
Right after borrowing it, I was making nice straight cuts free-hand and felt as though I was an expert at it after 5 minutes.

The cut50, I feel I need more practice and need to 'learn' more.
I really just think its a week tool.
It'll do 1/4" at full power and exceeding the recommended PSI, I doubt it will do anything thicker with results you'll care to use.
1/8" however, its a knife through butter.
...also, the tips wear out quickly.