Metal Thickness?

/ Metal Thickness? #91  
Ambitious project. Not very realistic.

What you are looking to do, even if it does move, will never have enough weight to move any dirt.

You will also need a much bigger motor than a 5.5hp lawnmower engine to power a hydraulic pump big enough to move a cylinder the size you’ll need… I think. Could be wrong.

Building the whole thing out of the same material is not realistic. For instance how do intend to mount the cylinder? You will need some machined bosses with pins and retaining clips. Any experience with that sort of thing?

Save your money, go make a new friend who has a mini excavator, or go rent one.

Just my thought. Good luck.

Ed

/ Metal Thickness? #92  
If I were getting into something like this, I would drive from dealer to dealer and "benchmark" (copy) what others are doing. Tell the dealers you're comparing models and measure the critical parts, thickness being one of them. I'm sure it can be done but it's going to take a long time to gather intel, design, fab, redesign, assemble, test, redesign, mod, paint, and final assemble.

/ Metal Thickness? #93  
This may interest you:
Gives some specs and weights

/ Metal Thickness? #94  
   / Metal Thickness? #95  
Keep in mind that the Moment Of Inertia, which is resistance to bending, is determined by the thickness cubed. So going from 3/16" thickness to 1/4" thickness, for example, more than doubles the strength.

/ Metal Thickness? #96  
Let us know what you do, Bx

/ Metal Thickness?
Let us know what you do, Bx

Got the Base built!
It looks big, but its only 3x7.
Tested it with the 'jump up and down on it' method. so far so good. Not to happy with the butt welds on the legs, ill add in a backing plate soon enough.

Attachments

• 20230131_170246.jpg
    20230131_170246.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
   / Metal Thickness? #98  
Glad you are carrying on with the idea. It will be educational for multiple people whether it goes easily or not.. I'm here for all the things i might learn along the way.

I have come to the conclusion over and over that, at least for my personality type, the fastest way to get to a good result is not to overanalyze the best way to start, but just to jump in, possibly fail, and fix it until i get it right. Analysis paralysis sucks and building things doesn't, so whether that base is good enough or not, it's closer to being good enough than if you hadn't started! But yes reinforce the legs. Someday. :ROFLMAO:

/ Metal Thickness? #99  
I'd suggest you use solid rubber or steel idlers for the tracks. Not sure what you have in that pic...

/ Metal Thickness? #100  
I'd suggest you use solid rubber or steel idlers for the tracks. Not sure what you have in that pic...

It looks like it’s just a base to hold the excavator and it’s not going to have tracks and be self propelled. It looks like you’ll have to pick up the front and drag it around.