Menards Sales: Love/Hate

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I like the prices menards has when the choose to run something on sale. But hate not knowing when the next sale is gonna be. And their sale prices are not always the same.

Example, when I was getting quotes on material for my building, 39' rolls of 23" R19 insulation were ~$21-22 bucks on sale. I am probably nearing in on wanting to get the insulation ordered and here, but its $30 a darn roll now. And even that is on sale for $4 off.

Short of saving every flyer I wish there was a way to see what past sale prices were on different items. If it wasnt for getting a written quote a few months ago, I would not have realized how much cheaper the insulation prices "can" be.

Makes if very difficult to plan out a build, that will take ~6-months or so, and form any kind of a budget at all. Cause who knows what price or what sale their may or may not be when it comes time to order.

So, its kinda a love/hate thing for me. I like the lower prices when I can catch something on sale. (Like planning on building a deck, but in no hurry. Have everything planned and its just a matter of waiting on a sale on treated boards). But makes it very frustrating planning big builds.

Whats everyone else thing?

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #2  
I go to Menards to buy wood and other things but the thing that's gets me is how DUMB the help is! I'm not saying everybody is but most are. Home Depot is before Menards and sometimes I go there if I know I'm going to need help on something at lest there those people know there depts.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #3  
I like Menards huge selection of merchandise :thumbsup: but dislike the 3 hour round trip to the nearest store:thumbdown:. Get their sales flyers in the mail almost everyday and enjoy learning how much stuff I didn't even know existed.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #4  
I would go a 3 hour round trip at Menards before a 1 hour trip to Lowes or HD. Unless things changed withoput me knowing about it, Menards is always cheaper than the other 2, but I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #5  
Menards is a rarity for me, as I only visit the store when traveling to relatives. Their huge inventory is nice. I bought some lumber for a deck repair and was NOT impressed with the quality. I get much better lumber from Lowes - and they don't mind if I literally climb into the racks and sort through every stick.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #6  
I'm not a big Menard's fan because I don't care for their layout and their store credit rebates. LD1 is right, you can get some deals there but you need to keep an eye on the flier for sale prices. I prefer Lowe's but do shop at Menard's for a few specific things like hardwood flooring and doors. They seem to consistently have better prices than Lowes on those. I like HD but it is out of my way compared to the other two.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #7  
I have been stuck delivering to those dumps. Lowe's is easiest to deliver then Menards and HD sucks bad. They treat me like crap for my job, I will not buy anything from them.

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #8  
I have all 3 close by in those mentioned, we shop Menards several times a month & find things like canned veggies to be good and 10+% less than grocery store! my other half like a quick cheffboyardee canned stuff and those are regular priced under a buck there while a store special is 10 for 10 at big chain grocery stores. We get the rebates for a lot of stuff and mail them in wish they would do an on-line thing as stamps getting high.

I have bought lumber to clothing there & like the prices but YES ya have to watch the prices and rebates to get best deals. Like LD1 said we bought a lot of insulation there for real cheap but missed getting all we needed...

M

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate
I just wish there was a website orbsome other way to look up past sales. Like pick an item and be able to view the cheapest it has been in the last 12months, 6months, etc. Sure would take a lot of stress out of knowing if you are getting a good deal.

I am terrible about looking at normal prices. So that's my.fault. when I was planning my build, r19 x 23" wide x 39' long rolls of insulation were $22. Now they are $30 on sale with a normal price $35. I need 24 rolls.

Takes the $550 I was budgeting for insluation and adds another 2 bills to it :mur:

So now I am gonna be shopping around for insluation and see if anyone can beat $30 a roll

/ Menards Sales: Love/Hate #10  
Menard's is like any other place, you have to know what to look for and what you are doing. I regularly sort lumber, put to the side, go get a ticket and get what I picked out. I too do not like their rebate program but beats nothing. I sometimes go to Lowe's but seldom get anything there nor at HD where we own stock as Menard's beats the heck out of both of them.

Walt Conner