Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box?

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #32  
I like the rear mounted net roll too. Much easier than my front mount, straddle the tongue to load deal. One thing I noticed in the JD vid was that the belts appeared to be extremely slack when they ejected the bale. My belts are never slack on the Kubota or the NH.

Probably should have investigated a JD round baler but I'm allergic to green...lol

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box?
I store my bales outside so the mice prefer to chew the bale and not so much the string. Even for the bales that are sitting, it's the weather that deteriorates the strings. It's all for my personal use but I'd like to be able to have less waste and a used net wrap baler should cost less than a new building for hay.....

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #34  
I store my bales outside so the mice prefer to chew the bale and not so much the string. Even for the bales that are sitting, it's the weather that deteriorates the strings. It's all for my personal use but I'd like to be able to have less waste and a used net wrap baler should cost less than a new building for hay.....
Absolutely. A couple tight layers of quality net wrap is like having a roof over the bales and a net bale is so much easier to deal with than string anyway. 10 seconds with a box cutter and the hay is free.

My customer stores all of his outside. never been an issue but he does stack them on skids to keep them off the ground.

After watching the JD YT explanation, I think I'd be shopping for one. Not that my new Kubota round baler is bad but the JD system is much simpler. Hard to beat 52 over the edge net wrap. The NH I traded in always had issues with 52 for as long as I owned it. it was fine with 48 but with 52 it was not. The Kubota I bought will run sileage bales as well and wrap with poly but I'll never do that. Only dry hay here.

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #35  
JD net attachment is simple & durable. As I've previously stated all 29091 bales my baler has made have been with net. Loading net from rear is difficult enough. I can't imagine the "FUN":devilish: of straddling tongue while loading netwrap in baler.

I personally don't like over the edge netwrap. YES if bale has been made correctly & net applied correctly over edge net bales have a little more eye appeal BUT when stacking bales in a row(flat to flat) if stacking person doesn't get bales very snuggly together the rolled over edge can allow rain water to enter between bale flat sides. BTDT. I also think over the over the edge what JD calls Cover-edge is more difficult to remove from bale at feeding time.

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #36  
JD net attachment is simple & durable. As I've previously stated all 29091 bales my baler has made have been with net. Loading net from rear is difficult enough. I can't imagine the "FUN":devilish: of straddling tongue while loading netwrap in baler.

I personally don't like over the edge netwrap. YES if bale has been made correctly & net applied correctly over edge net bales have a little more eye appeal BUT when stacking bales in a row(flat to flat) if stacking person doesn't get bales very snuggly together the rolled over edge can allow rain water to enter between bale flat sides. BTDT. I also think over the over the edge what JD calls Cover-edge is more difficult to remove from bale at feeding time.
You don't have to straddle the tongue but you do have to lean over it. The JD setup is still easier because the net roll on the Kubota (and the NH I traded in, you swing the empty net roll bar to the side and put on a new (heavy) roll. The older I get, the heavier they get. I know, 75 pounds (roll) don't seem like a lot, but it is.

There are a couple different widths of net and I believe the JD over the edge net is 54 and 56? I'm using Bridon 52 which gives you about 1" of over the edge wrap, not much but it goes a long way to keeping the bales neat and tight. The bales I run here go in the barn and I stack them on end, 3 high with the bottom bale on a skid. Gotten real good using the forks to stack them too. Like to have a bale squeeze but I'm too cheap to buy one. Both loaders have front mounted remotes that rarely get used.

Not feeding them anyway, cattle have been gone almost 2 years now. Don't miss them one bit actually. Problem with having farm animals is you cannot ever leave the farm for any length of time (not that we go anywhere anyway). Gas is too expensive to make unnecessary trips today.

At least with net there is no feeding (and inserting twine in the twine arms and tying and trimming all those square knots and hoping they feed through the twine tensioning plates without hanging up. I keep the baler twined up but it's there for emergency only.

Nice thing about the Kubota bailer is, it keeps a running linear count of feet used and you program into the computer control the amount of lineal feet on a new roll and it 'warns' you when the roll is almost depleted, so you don't run out in the middle of a wrap. Nice feature actually. The NH didn't have that, you had to visually watch for the end of roll warning stripe.

As a rule, I run at 540 until the bale starts wrapping and then I'll back it down to around 450 to complete a wrap.

Last edited:
   / Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #37  
One item that has never been mentioned and that is the use of a magnetic mount for the control box and how the magnetism may or may not impact how the control unit 'talks' to the bailer. I didn't realize it but was told by the Kubota rep when he was here to adjust my net tail that having magnets near the control box wiring can adversely impact the sending and receiving data from the on board the bailer unit. He told me the CAN BUS wiring can be impacted and why that wiring cable is twisted instead of straight run, just to eliminate that issue. Not all that up on electronics so I'll take his word for it.

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #38  
Baler keeping track of linear feet remaining in a roll of net is a very nice feature. IMHO just something else to go wrong & possibly require repair.
When baling with my JD when red strip appears on wrapped ejected bale I know have enough wrap for 5 or 6 bales. When alarm sounds that net was not cut I just turn off pto, install new roll of wrap, turn pto on, touch "wrap key" on monitor then eject wrapped bale. No fancy linear netwrap counter to fail either.

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #39  
Just keep monitoring the per bale price here. it's been climbing steadily, just like everything else today. 2 consecutive months of economic contraction equals a recession. Been 2 months now so I'd say we are there.
2 consecutive quarters, not months.

/ Magnetic mounting hardware for round baler control box? #40  
Mine has a wheel that rides on the roll and uses a Hall effect sensor just like the crankshaft sending unit you have in your car or truck that 'counts the number of times the magnet passes in front of it. Pretty simple and very reliable too. Automakers have used them for decades to control timing and to tell the ECM the motor is rotating.

Certainly not fancy and very reliable too.