Lynch Pins Coming Off

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off
Slight tangent here, someone recently lost one of those smaller lynch pins on the road around here. My neighbor found it the hard way. Embedded in the left rear tire on his truck! Right through the tread.

That’s not good

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #62  
Forget the pins. I use equivalent sized bolts with nylon self locking nuts. I don't want to have a link pin fall out and bend the support arms, so lynch pins are out for me.
I've had the same issue repeatedly on a 7' finish mower; my solution was the same. Bolts long enough that the shank spans the entire load area, and nyloc nuts.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #63  
There are several posts about this but not many recently so a new day means new ideas. When I brush hog a different lynch pin falls off nearly every time. I've brush hogged five times in the last two months and have lost four lynch pins.

Facts: I do have a lot of overgrown weeds and saplings and I do use the HD black lynch pins.

My question is how do I keep them from coming off? I don't care about losing them so much as I do about tearing up my equipment. Chaining them to somewhere on the tractor just keeps me from losing the pin but it doesn't stop the inevitable damage from the pin coming out. Is there a better more secure pin out there other than a bolt and nut? Duct tape? Key rings? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Might try using a bolt with a lock nut on it. Bigger pain to disconnect but it won’t come off on you

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #64  
   / Lynch Pins Coming Off #65  
I would just use electrical tape so that they will never come off:) electrical tape...its not just for electricians in my garage.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #66  
There are several posts about this but not many recently so a new day means new ideas. When I brush hog a different lynch pin falls off nearly every time. I've brush hogged five times in the last two months and have lost four lynch pins.

Facts: I do have a lot of overgrown weeds and saplings and I do use the HD black lynch pins.

My question is how do I keep them from coming off? I don't care about losing them so much as I do about tearing up my equipment. Chaining them to somewhere on the tractor just keeps me from losing the pin but it doesn't stop the inevitable damage from the pin coming out. Is there a better more secure pin out there other than a bolt and nut? Duct tape? Key rings? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Buy a set of 6 cheap keyed alike locks. Used instead of pins in equipment and trailer hitched, etc. imo

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #67  
I have a few with the pin short enough that the circular keeper doesn’t stop on the pin, it passes it and the keeper lays flat against the implement. This lessens the chance of something getting behind it. It does make them more difficult for you to remove, but that what we are looking for right?

so cut or grind the end of them off a little.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #68  

Mine were doing that on my rear finish mower, found out that they had too much slack on the shaft between the post and the pin, I installed a spring and a washer to keep the linchpins from rolling sideways which was a lot easier for them to come off and I haven’t haven’t had another problem Since doing that, been good for about 10 years now with no lost pins. I can take a picture later of what I’m talking about if you would like.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #69  
Mine were doing that on my rear finish mower, found out that they had too much slack on the shaft between the post and the pin, I installed a spring and a washer to keep the linchpins from rolling sideways which was a lot easier for them to come off and I haven’t haven’t had another problem Since doing that, been good for about 10 years now with no lost pins. I can take a picture later of what I’m talking about if you would like.
Picture is worth a thousand words! Please send👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
You will win the comment of the day!🚜✌🏻

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #70  
Way back when the Massey Ferguson 200 series were new they came with a locking linch pin. You had to squeeze he top so the bottom of the ring could be lifted to remove the pin. Some farmers cussed them because they did not squeeze them and actually bent the locking ring rendering them useless. I searched for them could not find them from Massey but did find the same pin used by JD pn AA23627. A quick search on the net finds the price at about $6.00. Don't know what other types cost but still cheaper than tearing up equipment.