lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon?

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #11  
adding dye, I like that idea. where do I get the dye? I have some red dye I got a few years ago from Deere for the tractor, I'll have to see if that would work
They sell dye for herbicides. You can buy it where you buy the product. Also add a little surfactant: it helps the herbicide to stay stuck to the plant (stump).

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon?
surfactant, yes. I was thinking of adding a drop or two of liquid soap. I will probably be using a small squirt bottle for the application. Can I use the same dye when I spray the gravel driveway? I have been curious of the exact spray pattern of my sprayer. The dye will not discolor the spray tank, which is rinsed well after each application of glyphosate?

Last edited:
   / lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #13  
surfactant, yes. I was thinking of adding a drop or two of liquid soap. I will probably be using a small squirt bottle for the application.
The squirt bottle works but will need filling often. You can get a 1-2 gallon pump up sprayer at Walmart or Harbor freight for less than $20.squirt bottles are also an issue with splashback of chemicals on the user. The sprayers have wands to keep the material away from the user.

I do have a 2 gallon sprayer used just for glyphosate, for those hard-to-reach by tractor areas. Depends if I am working alone or with a helper which applier to use.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #15  
You could use that same sprayer.

I keep separate sprayers:. One for glyph, triclo, etc, one for insecticides, fungicides, plant protectants, and one for broadleaf herbicide, used on turf areas. That way, no unfortunate results from cross contamination.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #16  
adding dye, I like that idea. where do I get the dye? I have some red dye I got a few years ago from Deere for the tractor, I'll have to see if that would work
Tordon RTU is already blue. Easy to see treatment. On a stump 2-3" diameter a teaspoon full is enough. I buy it in Quart squirt bottles. Extremely easy to use versus a product that requires transferring to a usable container.

For spraying I prefer Remedy. Have also had good luck with Crossbow.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #17  
For the primary purpose of treating fresh cut stumps, nothing can be simpler and easier to manage than this. No mess. No broad kill. I have no idea how many small stumps this bottle will kill. Takes a teaspoon or less.

20230130_092334.jpg

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #18  
I believe I may try this type product rather than the Tordon. There are reports that Tordon can migrate. If I get a quart of something with triclopyr and use it straight, in a small squirt, bottle, it should last a while.
Local farmers co-op has a gallon of Remedy for $116 or 8 ounces of triclopyr ester for $24.99. I do not want a gallon but 8 ounces will be too small, and the label said the ester is for clover and broadleafs.
Tordon will root translocate. Witnessed personally at a state tree farm the sprayed brush along a road and killed the 75 foot tall cottonwood trees 50 feet behind them

"Tordon will root translocate. Witnessed personally" Any observations on stump painting, with Tordon, on saplings? My young trees are in a forested area and I would hate to injure the older taller hardwoods.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #20  
If you've got beech, and you don't want to damage the larger trees just off the trail, then yes do select an active ingredient with lower translocatability-if that's a word-and BTW, I don't know which one it is. Beech tree roots are definitely connected together.

Oh, and you have my permission to destroy all callery pear encountered🪓.