lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon?

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #1  

nancyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 5055e 2015, Ferris IS2000z 2007
My winter/spring project has been to limit the young trees growing along trails that were put in years ago. I bushhog the trails at least once a year. After lopping the trees for years, I noticed some of the smaller ones, and a few mid-size, have been pulling out, by hand, relatively easy. Then last week I got the tractor and chains and pulled out some of the bigger ones. I do not mind doing this on the flat but some of the trails can be a tad less-than-flat. My question: if I lop them off at the base, should I put Remedy or Tordon RTU on the base?
I am not sure what the trees are. The first picture has been suggested is a callery pear, with similar shoots coming up 25 feet away.
The other pictures have been suggested to be beech. I believe the last pictures are all the same trees, they appear to have the same growth pattern. Also read: "Glyphosate is the most mobile of herbicides within the beech root system, but is non-mobile to other species. You will want to use at least 25% active ingredient of glyphosate and as soon after cutting the beech as possible."

Attachments

• young tree callery.jpg
    young tree callery.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 83
  • young trees 5.jpg
    young trees 5.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 85
  • young trees 6.jpg
    young trees 6.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 77
  • young trees 8.jpg
    young trees 8.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
  • young trees 9.jpg
    young trees 9.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 75
  • young trees 010.jpg
    young trees 010.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
   / lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #2  
Yes, TordonRTU will take care of the cut saplings. I use it very often on same.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #3  
I'd go with the triclopyr product. Tordon likes to deep down into ground water.

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon?
what is triclopyr? Just found out. "Triclopyr is a selective systemic herbicide used to control woody and herbaceous broadleaf plants"

/ lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #5  
Garlon was (and is) a well known brand name for triclopyr. But numerous others by now. Such as Remedy.

I believe I may try this type product rather than the Tordon. There are reports that Tordon can migrate. If I get a quart of something with triclopyr and use it straight, in a small squirt, bottle, it should last a while.
Local farmers co-op has a gallon of Remedy for $116 or 8 ounces of triclopyr ester for $24.99. I do not want a gallon but 8 ounces will be too small, and the label said the ester is for clover and broadleafs.

Last edited:
   / lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #7  
My winter/spring project has been to limit the young trees growing along trails that were put in years ago. I bushhog the trails at least once a year. After lopping the trees for years, I noticed some of the smaller ones, and a few mid-size, have been pulling out, by hand, relatively easy. Then last week I got the tractor and chains and pulled out some of the bigger ones. I do not mind doing this on the flat but some of the trails can be a tad less-than-flat. My question: if I lop them off at the base, should I put Remedy or Tordon RTU on the base?
I am not sure what the trees are. The first picture has been suggested is a callery pear, with similar shoots coming up 25 feet away.
The other pictures have been suggested to be beech. I believe the last pictures are all the same trees, they appear to have the same growth pattern. Also read: "Glyphosate is the most mobile of herbicides within the beech root system, but is non-mobile to other species. You will want to use at least 25% active ingredient of glyphosate and as soon after cutting the beech as possible.
The most used applications for stump treatment is to spray Garlon or Velpar on the fresh cut stump (before it seals over). I’m unfamiliar with all of the suitable herbicides, but the two I mentioned are commonly used for that purpose. You could check with your state university cooperative extension agent for more information.

Just spoke w/the county agent. He suggested Crossbow, which I just found out is only 16% triclopyr, and a big chunk 2-4-d, which I really do not want. I am back to Brushtox at RuralKing, 61% triclopyr. Or may even do a trial and put straight bleach on the small base.

Last edited:
   / lopping young trees, Remedy or Tordon? #9  
The 2-4D ain't no thang. Not more toxic than the triclo contingent, less so than Tordon.

Don't overthink it-you're using tiny amounts of actual solution, if doing cut-stump treatment (which you should) as jyoutz points out.

Couple drops of blue dye can work wonders in helping one keep track of what's done versus what ain't!

adding dye, I like that idea. where do I get the dye? I have some red dye I got a few years ago from Deere for the tractor, I'll have to see if that would work