Loose Tie Rod Ends

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
My NX4510 HST has 887 hours on it and the two tie rod ends are loose on the ball ends and on the steering rack ends. There is like a 1/16" slop in all of them. Anyone else notice if their links are loose? This is ridiculous to be this worn already.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends
My NX4510 HST has 887 hours on it and the two tie rod ends are loose on the ball ends and on the steering rack ends. There is like a 1/16" slop in all of them. Anyone else notice if their links are loose? This is ridiculous to be this worn already.
This is what I found. I pulled both tie rods off my tractor. Then I took the seals off the ends at the wheel end. Both tie rods had no grease whatsoever in those joints. They have been running bone dry since day one. I drilled and tapped the top cap and installed grease fittings in them. Then I pumped a lot of grease thru them to clean out any chips. At this point it doesn't matter much as they are sloppy a bit. Then I carefully banged the seals back on. This is pure BS on KIOTI's part not to have grease in those joints. Shame on you KIOTI. I strongly suggest anyone that owns one of these tractors check to see if your tie rod ends are getting sloppy. If they are there is a 100% guarantee that they built them with no grease in them.
20220816_181737.jpg

Last edited:
   / Loose Tie Rod Ends #3  
Wow, that sucks. I wonder if the replacement parts would have zerks on them? Might be prudent to order regardless. Who knows how long replacement parts might take. Would hate for you to be without a tractor…

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends
I'm not replacing them. I hammered them to tighten them up using a large punch and hammer in a big vise. New ones are $159 apiece plus outrageous shipping charges. My steering is snug now. I'm waiting to see how many others have this problem. Under 900 hours and no grease. Pure BS on their part.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends #5  
Can't tell by your picture but are both ends of the rod threaded with the ends threaded on/in? I'd be looking for some utility rod ends. Rod ends are about $15-$40 depending on size and thread. One end is usually right-hand thread and the other left-hand thread so the toe-in can be adjusted without removing one end.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends #6  
Silly they dont have zerks anymore. Even ones on cars and trucks dont nowadays.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends #7  
But then some people whine about having to grease too many zerks...............

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends
Can't tell by your picture but are both ends of the rod threaded with the ends threaded on/in? I'd be looking for some utility rod ends. Rod ends are about $15-$40 depending on size and thread. One end is usually right-hand thread and the other left-hand thread so the toe-in can be adjusted without removing one end.
My tractor has a rack and pinion so the two outer ends are identical. They have internal threads that go over the inner ball socket end that screws into the rack and pinion steering rods.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends #9  
My tractor has a rack and pinion so the two outer ends are identical. They have internal threads that go over the inner ball socket end that screws into the rack and pinion steering rods.
All you need is the thread size on the rod and the taper on the steering arm. I bet if you took one of the ends into a friendly NAPA store, they could match it up. Even better would be a local auto parts store (non-franchised). Forget AutoZone and the like--If it's not in their computer under a car year/model, they can't help.

/ Loose Tie Rod Ends
All you need is the thread size on the rod and the taper on the steering arm. I bet if you took one of the ends into a friendly NAPA store, they could match it up. Even better would be a local auto parts store (non-franchised). Forget AutoZone and the like--If it's not in their computer under a car year/model, they can't help.
For right now I am all set as I tightened up the ends and now can grease them. NAPA would be the best bet or looking online. The price that they charge for these is crazy. Then again anything tractor related is not cheap.