Long Tractors??????

/ Long Tractors?????? #1  

19528nford

Tractor
1952 8n ford
I currently have a 52 8n ford that runs well. It is still the orginal 6 volt system. All I really do is run a 6 foot bush hog (cut about 5 acres of pasture grass)and pull a boxblade with rippers for driveway upkeep. I have been thinking about upgrading. ( Ive posted before on here about upgrading and the responces have been very well appreciated) I have found a Long 550 diesel with 800 hours on it. Its not pretty, needs a paint job but I could care less about that. I have not gone to look at it yet. From the pictures it looks pretty clean, no leaks, tires in decent shape. The ad was for the tractor with a 5 foot bush hog for $4000 I contacted him, he said he would do 3500 for the tractor only. Just wanted peoples opion on this.

Also while Im posting I will ask this. I will have to have the tractor transported, and I dont know how much to expect to pay for this. ( this Long is about 60 miles from my house)

Wanted to say thanks for everyones input in advance

/ Long Tractors?????? #2  
Opinions on what part of it? The tractor, the price, or the hours?

Long built simple, dependable, no frills machines. I've worked on a number of them and have nothing bad to say about them. (provided it's 2WD)

The price seems reasonable enough as prices go for used tractors these days. Of course, depending on condition. Just because it starts, runs, and moves doesn't make it a trouble free bargain.

The hours? A running tractor, in current use, with 800 hours? That I would be suspicious of. This is probably a fifty year old machine.

/ Long Tractors?????? #3  
Opinions on what part of it? The tractor, the price, or the hours?

Long built simple, dependable, no frills machines. I've worked on a number of them and have nothing bad to say about them. (provided it's 2WD)

The price seems reasonable enough as prices go for used tractors these days. Of course, depending on condition. Just because it starts, runs, and moves doesn't make it a trouble free bargain.

The hours? A running tractor, in current use, with 800 hours? That I would be suspicious of. This is probably a fifty year old machine.
This is Rscotty's specialty. He will probably reply to you within the next few hours.

/ Long Tractors?????? #4  
I have no time with a Long, but for so little use is it really worth upgrading....my understanding is every part of a 8N is still available.

/ Long Tractors?????? #5  
my understanding is every part of a 8N is still available.
Well not every part.... But damn near every part. The Long 550 is not a bad machine. The power steering, 8 speed transmission, and independent PTO will be pure luxury compared to the bare bones 8N. The Long 550 was made in Romania, however some parts might be getting hard to find for it. Its a risk on parts availability. I would be hesitant to upgrade, given the durability and parts availability of the 8n. However it really depends on how many hours your putting on the 8N a year. For me parts availability is key, as its assured things will break.

/ Long Tractors?????? #6  
Im a big Ford tractor fan. Simple, reliable, and parts are readily available. The Shibaura Fords are much harder to find parts for, but still excellent tractors.

/ Long Tractors?????? #7  
I'd say if your current tractor meets your needs.... why upgrade?

/ Long Tractors?????? #8  
One other thing to factor in is fuel cost. Diesel is now almost $ 2 more per gallon than gasoline, which largely negates the efficiency difference. The flat head four cylinder engine in the 1951 & 1952 Ford 8n just might be the most fuel-efficient gasoline powered tractor that Ford, and maybe any other manufacturer, has ever produced.

Given that, my vote would be to forget about the Long diesel and stick with the gas 8n. I ain’t just talking here, I practice what I preach. Here is my 51 8n, which I would never part with voluntarily:
09D85EA4-6F84-4AAF-BF1D-B33095493B6B.jpeg

The higher diesel prices get, the more my diesel tractor stays in the barn and the more I use that 8n. I’m sure glad that I have that option.

It was the only machine at the antique show at the local fire hall last fall, that still had the original factory paint and tires.

/ Long Tractors?????? #9  
I currently have a 52 8n ford that runs well. It is still the orginal 6 volt system. All I really do is run a 6 foot bush hog (cut about 5 acres of pasture grass)and pull a boxblade with rippers for driveway upkeep. I have been thinking about upgrading. ( Ive posted before on here about upgrading and the responces have been very well appreciated) I have found a Long 550 diesel with 800 hours on it. Its not pretty, needs a paint job but I could care less about that. I have not gone to look at it yet. From the pictures it looks pretty clean, no leaks, tires in decent shape. The ad was for the tractor with a 5 foot bush hog for $4000 I contacted him, he said he would do 3500 for the tractor only. Just wanted peoples opion on this.

Also while Im posting I will ask this. I will have to have the tractor transported, and I dont know how much to expect to pay for this. ( this Long is about 60 miles from my house)

Wanted to say thanks for everyones input in advance
The reason I upgraded from my old 9N to my Yanmar that's 1/2 the age is because of the crappy PTO and 3 point hitch on the 9N. Besides the much better PTO and 3PH as a bonus the Yanmar also came with a Front End Loader (FEL). If the 8N PTO and 3PH is the same as the 9N and if the Long tractor PTO and 3PH is similar to my Yanmar then the Long will be a very nice upgrade in that regard. But I most strongly suggest you get a tractor with an FEL. I use my FEL so much, it is so handy and a HUGE time saver. The FEL is one of those tools that once you have one it is hard to imagine how you got along so long without one. I can't comment directly on the Long tractor because I know nothing about them. So sorry about that. But I can say that a tractor without a Front End Loader is kinda like a hand without a thumb. The hand can do lots of things but with a thumb it does so much more.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Long Tractors?????? #10  
This is Rscotty's specialty. He will probably reply to you within the next few hours.

Thanks, but I have no idea about the Longs. My special interest is in popular older machinery - including tractors - which were have stood the test of time.

I think the ones worth considering are - just to give some examples - are the old Fords, older JDs, Farmalls, Yanmars and Masseys etc. that have simple yet modern design, good parts availability, and often a dedicated hobby support group. Many of those makers also made implements.

How much of that would apply to the old Longs? ... around here, not much.

That doesn't make it a bad deal, but it sure makes it one I know nothing about.
rScotty