Loan a Yanmar

/ Loan a Yanmar #61  
I personally wouldn't loan it out without me on it....!
Yea I will do a lot for many people but I go with the tractor .

And I especially won't load a tractor out for the spring and part of summer , that's crazy that's tractor season.

That said I do borrow some neighbors/friends tractor. I borrow if I have something I need a loader for or if I was to use their tiller. I ask to borrow it when I need it. BUT like I said their family friends, when they go on vacation for a week to 10 days in the summer we take care of their house, get mail, water plants, feed their horse, cat, dog, tend the garden to include watering and harvesting what comes in while gone, pick blueberries, fill bird feeders both seed and hummingbird. They don't pay us to do it, sometimes they will give us some money for our trouble but it's definitely not "payment" it's a nice gesture and appreciated but not expected. Soni said all that to say I don't feel as bad borrowing their stuff as they know I'm competent, can fix something if needed and that I have tractors of my own so I can run them. I don't ask random neighbors to borrow things especially like a mower or tractor.

/ Loan a Yanmar
Apparently the neighbor asked to borrow tractors from several neighbors. A couple of the neighbors are commercial farmers and have multiple tractors. One said something like, "that tractor would cost about $30K to replace, so I would need a cash deposit when you borrowed it." When the neighbor asked how much for a cash deposit, the farmer said, "30K." That's clever.

/ Loan a Yanmar #63  
Apparently the neighbor asked to borrow tractors from several neighbors. A couple of the neighbors are commercial farmers and have multiple tractors. One said something like, "that tractor would cost about $30K to replace, so I would need a cash deposit when you borrowed it." When the neighbor asked how much for a cash deposit, the farmer said, "30K." That's clever.
I'm entirely with your neighbor!

/ Loan a Yanmar #64  
Like pop said. If they have the gall to ask, I have the gall to say no.

I was right there watching one day. My brothers FIL asked if he could borrow his tractor a while to clean up 40 acres of clear cut. My brother just said NOPE, and moved on. Brother did feel sorta bad later, kinda talked with me about it. I just reminded him what pop always said. Said you did right, never mentioned again.

/ Loan a Yanmar #65  
After 7 pages here, looks like the consensus is a 95% No way! :)

I do like the clever answers to give to others. I'm keeping those for when the time comes around too. ;)

/ Loan a Yanmar #66  
Mine comment was her Son In law so It was family. Not that bright so be it and still worked but she made sure it wasn't going to happen again...........True.:confused:

/ Loan a Yanmar #67  
I'll join the nope, no way bandwagon for a tractor or any of my implements except maybe the box blade. I know my neighbors, one really knows equipment and I would trust him. The other has a subcompact tractor, he would break his tractor before he bent the blade. And if either one of them did damage it, they would whip out their wallets to pay for it without me saying a thing.

/ Loan a Yanmar #68  
I have helped neighbors off my property. I was also aware that the insurance I had on my tractor was not in effect when i was off my property, or operated by someone else, or if used for pay. That is why I might consider helping him. But remember, when you are helping some, others will not understand why you did not help them. While I was helping this neighbor, 5 others saw us working and stopped by the place asked me " who much would you charge...... I said - I don't do that I am just helping here. Then, would you stop by my place when you are finished here ....NO can't do that. I made one friend (nice guy and family) and pissed off 5 people.

NO WAY would I loan out my tractor. The only exception would be with a $35000 cash deposit and a contract that said you won't get it back if you scratch the paint.

/ Loan a Yanmar #69  
Apparently that guys not getting the hint...
Tell him there's rental places around for what he wants to do and that long of time...
I think he's looking for a freebee.

/ Loan a Yanmar #70  
One of the neighbors has noticed the tractors being used in the past and wants to "borrow one of those old red tractors" for the spring and part of the summer. I am disinclined to lend him a Yanmar and was surprised he asked. Would any of you ever lend out one of your Yanmar tractors?
A friend of mine had an acquaintance in the small town we lived in ask to borrow his new at the time John Deere 4400. He said they could borrow it, as long as their 12-ish year old son did not operate it. He happened to drive by their house after he loaned it to them, and of course their son was out running the tractor. They brought it back with the front of the hood bashed in, and of course didn't offer to pay for the damage.