Loader Loader Lights Dissapointment Help

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, I finally got my tractor back with all the addon's installed and immediately started mowing the lawn, it got dark and I thought sweet lets see how well the loader lights work. I flick the switch and nothing, wtf?!? I turn on the regular lights and the loader lights turn on but the regular lights stay off, I flick the loader light switch off and the loader lights turn off and the regular lights turn on, that means I can have either one set of lights on or the other but not both.

I could see if the switch was a 3 way allowing one or the other or both, but to have just one or the other doesn't make sense to me.

Is there anything I could do to make it so the switch turns the loader lights on or off like flood lights? The loader lights have their own high beam and low beams which is cool but to use both would be sweet.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #2  
Well... that's a real letdown! I've considered buying the loader lights - even with the extra cab lights on my M - it gets really dark up here in the winter and I do a lot of snow plowing in pitch black, heavy snowing conditions.

Loader lights, cab lights, and front engine lights; can't have too many - IMO.

If all I could have were loader lights or the other tractor lights; well, let's just say I'll hang onto my money! :thumbsdown:

That said; have you cycled thru all of the cab light settings? Either with the loader light switch in both the off and on positions?

AKfish

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help
Well... that's a real letdown! I've considered buying the loader lights - even with the extra cab lights on my M - it gets really dark up here in the winter and I do a lot of snow plowing in pitch black, heavy snowing conditions.

Loader lights, cab lights, and front engine lights; can't have too many - IMO.

If all I could have were loader lights or the other tractor lights; well, let's just say I'll hang onto my money! :thumbsdown:

That said; have you cycled thru all of the cab light settings? Either with the loader light switch in both the off and on positions?

AKfish

Same here in the winter, so do I that's why I bought the light kit.

My theory for tractor lights there's not enough lights until the area becomes daylight.

I paid just under $1000 for the light kit installed if I knew they would be like this I would have held onto my money as well that's why I'm trying to find a solution to make them act like auxiliary lights.

Yes I have cycled through all the positions with the loader lights on and off. There was no difference either choose one or the other. I'm gonna talk to my dealer today and see what he says about it cause I feel like John Deere robbed me of that feature (pretty much like the fuel tank plating.)

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #4  
It should not be hard to rewire the loader lights independent of the tractor lights.
Determine which wire is the power source to the loader light switch and separate it from the tractor lights. Hook to a new power source. I would make sure it's a source only hot when the key is "ON" so you can not leave them "ON" and drain the battery.

Also you need to determine why the tractor lights do not work when they are switched "ON" and loader lights are also switched "ON". I wonder if there is a relay that is normally closed in the tractor light circuit that the loader lights activate when "ON" opening the circuit to the tractor lights.

This sounds like a fun project to solve.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #5  
Who installed these ?

Did you tell them how you wanted them to operate ?

This is an easy fix if you know wiring and such.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help
It should not be hard to rewire the loader lights independent of the tractor lights.
Determine which wire is the power source to the loader light switch and separate it from the tractor lights. Hook to a new power source. I would make sure it's a source only hot when the key is "ON" so you can not leave them "ON" and drain the battery.

Also you need to determine why the tractor lights do not work when they are switched "ON" and loader lights are also switched "ON". I wonder if there is a relay that is normally closed in the tractor light circuit that the loader lights activate when "ON" opening the circuit to the tractor lights.

This sounds like a fun project to solve.

It would be nice to have them rewired to work independently of the headlights and still have them go high and low beam with the high and low beam of the headlights. To me that would be ideal.

I bet it could be a relay, one is on or the other, if I find that relay and remove it would that stop the loader lights from shutting the main lights off? If so the fun part is finding the relay.

Who installed these ?

Did you tell them how you wanted them to operate ?

This is an easy fix if you know wiring and such.

Dealer installed them.

I thought it would be common sense to have them turn on and off with their own switch without affecting the normal headlights.

I am familiar with wiring (rewired trailers and rv's, installed vehicle electrical mods.) I'm not familiar with relays though.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #7  
I'm looking forward to hearing what/how your dealer responds to this conundrum! The situation does not make a great deal of sense! Most definitely not an "optional" feature that's worth a $1,000!! :eek:

AKfish

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #8  
I have a theory to the the reason the head lights don't work at the same time as the work lights... I may be 100% wrong.

They do not work together so you can not accidentally blind oncoming traffic with the work lights while driving on the road.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #9  
Commom sense tells me that they should not come on with the headlights in "driving" mode, but they should all come on in "work" mode.

/ Loader Lights Dissapointment Help #10  
The reason they wired it this way , may be to prevent overloading the charging system.

Dave