5065E lights on dash and no crank.

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #1  

JorgeSerna

Tractor
None
I am trying to help a neighbor with his 2018 or 2019 John Deere 5065e tractor. (Gear Tractor, 2wd, Open station).

The dash shows only the PTO, exclamation mark and exhaust filter indicator lights. I try to crank it and no clicks or anything. I checked seat plug for continuity, bypassed the neutral sensor and still no life.

On the underside I unplugged the switch on PTO lever and it turned off the light. I don't have a schematic but appears to have a 6 pin connector versus a dual pin. I did not check which wire came from PTO switch as it got dark. Tractor has 150 hrs and turned off while moving and remained in same remote spot over a year.

All fuses and relays under steering column tested good.

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #2  
It thinks pto is engaged, so wont start. Im not sure just unplugging pto will fix issue. Some if these units wont work if a circuit is unplugged. I take it the pto is electric switch and not a lever?

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank.
It thinks pto is engaged, so wont start. Im not sure just unplugging pto will fix issue. Some if these units wont work if a circuit is unplugged. I take it the pto is electric switch and not a lever?
There is a handle on the left side of seat to engage pto. On the underside I see wires that go to the attached sensor which I think its to determine the position of lever.

Since I saw more than 2 wires I assumed it probably sends feedback versus a no or nc switch.

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #4  
Thats what im thinking. Just unplugging it wont work. Id have to see a schematic to figure it out

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #5  
The first thing I like to do is to jump the starter solenoid.

startermarked-jpg.831346

If you can reach both with a screwdriver, jump from the large wire from the battery to the ignition switch connector (something metal). It can be either a spade as above, or a small screw. Or you can go direct from the positive on the battery to the ignition switch connector.

With some luck your starter will turn over normally. If not then you have either a bad starter, bad battery cable, or bad battery, or just didn't get it connected properly.

Now, make sure your tractor is in neutral (I should have said that above). Turn on the ignition. Activate the glow plugs for 30 seconds or so, then jump the starter.

With some luck you'll have your tractor running.

Then next you can start trying to find the actual fault.

I'm actually going through this on a "non-op" Landini that I recently purchased at auction. I got it started earlier today by jumping the starter solenoid as above. Unfortunately the battery I had didn't fit in the battery box, so I couldn't actually move it. So I'm now recharging a smaller battery that fits, and have my fingers crossed that it will actually start and move.

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #6  
To the OP have you pulled the 20 amp ignition fuse and ohmed it out to verify continuity, because they are notorius for blowing while driving along and a sensor goes out and leaving you stranded in the field the sensor on mine was a temperature sensor located up on the thermostat housing, that might not be the sensor on this one, but I bet it is sensor related.

To the OP have you pulled the 20 amp ignition fuse and ohmed it out to verify continuity, because they are notorius for blowing while driving along and a sensor goes out and leaving you stranded in the field the sensor on mine was a temperature sensor located up on the thermostat housing, that might not be the sensor on this one, but I bet it is sensor related.
I will go today or tomorrow to verify fuses. I checked them before trying to start tractor but know that one may blow if there is a bad sensor.

I really need to verify the pinout on the 6 pin connector attached to PTO lever. I may also have a bad contact.

The first thing I like to do is to jump the starter solenoid.

startermarked-jpg.831346

If you can reach both with a screwdriver, jump from the large wire from the battery to the ignition switch connector (something metal). It can be either a spade as above, or a small screw. Or you can go direct from the positive on the battery to the ignition switch connector.

With some luck your starter will turn over normally. If not then you have either a bad starter, bad battery cable, or bad battery, or just didn't get it connected properly.

Now, make sure your tractor is in neutral (I should have said that above). Turn on the ignition. Activate the glow plugs for 30 seconds or so, then jump the starter.

With some luck you'll have your tractor running.

Then next you can start trying to find the actual fault.

I'm actually going through this on a "non-op" Landini that I recently purchased at auction. I got it started earlier today by jumping the starter solenoid as above. Unfortunately the battery I had didn't fit in the battery box, so I couldn't actually move it. So I'm now recharging a smaller battery that fits, and have my fingers crossed that it will actually start and move.
I wanted to crank tractor this way to see what would happen, if it cranks will it stay on? If I could move tractor to a different location that would be awesome as it's stuck in the brush.

/ 5065E lights on dash and no crank. #9  
If your tractor is faulting with a no start sensor. Then jumping the solenoid is often enough to start it and keep it running.

It may depend on whether there is a fault in the starting circuit or the ignition circuit.