Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,881  
Thanks, you have the most directly comparable tractor to me, I would be around 4,500 lb with beet juice in the tires plus whatever a FEL weighs. You would still feel unstable in your rig with an 800 lb mower?

On my L-4600, no way would I try that. When you upset the balance, most people will not react fast enough to save it, if they can at all, before it rolls over.

Big heavy mowers require big heavy tractors for safe operation. Hanging them off the side of the tractor multiples the problems and risks.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,882  
On my L-4600, no way would I try that. When you upset the balance, most people will not react fast enough to save it, if they can at all, before it rolls over.

Big heavy mowers require big heavy tractors for safe operation. Hanging them off the side of the tractor multiples the problems and risks.
Yeah, I'm just getting advice all over the place, trying to compare apples to apples. Peruzzo lists pretty mowers as compatible with smaller tractors. My advice from a Del Morino dealer was more conservative. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the only chart, or rule of thumb I have is the one attached.

1690501990542.png

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,883  
I run a 64” Victory ditch bank mower that weighs 685 LBS on my Branson 4815C. My tractor weighs somewhere around 4,000 lbs with cab and loaded tires. It handles it well but you definitely feel it when you extend it all the way out off of the ground. But never felt tipsy and I run without FWD engaged. Don’t have a picture of it fully extended in the air but here is the way I mow 90% of the time.
IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,884  
I run a 64” Victory ditch bank mower that weighs 685 LBS on my Branson 4815C. My tractor weighs somewhere around 4,000 lbs with cab and loaded tires. It handles it well but you definitely feel it when you extend it all the way out off of the ground. But never felt tipsy and I run without FWD engaged. Don’t have a picture of it fully extended in the air but here is the way I mow 90% of the time.
How do you like that? I have pretty well convinced myself that I would prefer something like this to an RC. I need to keep cost down, but I don't want junk either.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,885  
How do you like that? I have pretty well convinced myself that I would prefer something like this to an RC. I need to keep cost down, but I don't want junk either.
I really like it and glad I bought it but I did have to replace the pillow bearings on the rollers. The ones that came on it did not last long and I am very conscientious of keeping them greased and the grass cut off. I put a much better bearing on but had to modify the housing to get it to fit. Interesting enough grass doesn’t wrap around quite as bad.

My dad warned me when I bought it that I was not going to like it because of the maintenance it takes to keep it going. So far I have not found that unreasonable except when I decided to sharpen the hammers. If dad was still alive he would have gotten a call that day letting him know he was right! That took half the day and I have not run a grinder that much since I quit building trailers. :oops:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,886  
Which model did you get? Their website doesn't have them available until Spring. :(

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,887  
Yeah, I'm just getting advice all over the place, trying to compare apples to apples. Peruzzo lists pretty mowers as compatible with smaller tractors. My advice from a Del Morino dealer was more conservative. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the only chart, or rule of thumb I have is the one attached.

View attachment 813197
I have a Peruzzo Brush Bull 2200. Much bigger & beefier than those ditch bank ones listed. Apples to orange comparison though as ditch bank stuff has to be smaller & lighter.

It shifts over about 2 feet to the right from whats in the photo. 7.2' working width flail, 6' track width on the tractor. Lots of torque on the 3pt when its shifted offset to the side.
20171222_150735.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,888  
Which model did you get? Their website doesn't have them available until Spring. :(
EMSD-64. I ordered mine on May 30th 2020 and received it 6-11-2020. He had a few in stock at the time. Uwe Steuernagel is, was, the owner and was very nice and helpful. I had an issue early on with a cylinder and he sent a replacement right away. I was able to fix that cylinder so I have a backup now. I should order replacement hammers at some point but have not reached out to them in a couple of years. So not sure how well things are going for them but Lou bought his more recently so I would think they are doing well.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,889  

Attachments

• IMG_1283[1].JPG
    IMG_1283[1].JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 125

Here's my Maschio. Fallon hit the nail on the head. If you want a real flail one of these is the real deal. This one shifts both ways about 2 feet. 10' cut and really heavy. It runs hammers and is badass. I have a Hardee 4' hydraslide ditchbank cutter. That thing is a beast as well but does the job. Those offset flails are light and dangerous. Because of the weight they rate them for smaller tractors. Those things are an easy way to end up in a ditch or upside down.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,890  
Does anyone have experience with Iron Craft Flail Mowers vs Del Morino and Land Pride?