Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,201  
I really need to get off my butt and order a flail. I am torn between a ditch type or just an offset. Choices are giving me analysis paralysis. :)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,202  
A local person in Facebook marketplace has a Ford 917 model flail up for sale ~$950 … here in Denton Tx.

dang. And I scored mine for $650….

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,203  
Curious & legit question folks:

does anyone have any really good quality pictures of a flail on a swing arm for ditch work?

I’d like to look at the details of the hinge designs and locations. As well as the piston locations & hoe the PRo shaft is safely extended.

web search is “meh” so far… I’ll keep digging later this weekend…

thanks in advance y’all!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,204  
Curious & legit question folks:

does anyone have any really good quality pictures of a flail on a swing arm for ditch work?

I’d like to look at the details of the hinge designs and locations. As well as the piston locations & hoe the PRo shaft is safely extended.

web search is “meh” so far… I’ll keep digging later this weekend…

thanks in advance y’all!
What pictures are you looking for exactly? My mower isn't attached to the tractor right now but I do have these pictures from my last mowing.
20210518_124903.jpeg
20210518_124802.jpeg
20210518_124755.jpeg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,206  
Picked up a Bush Hog FH188 flail today to replace my Alamo SH74. The mower has been sitting for probably 10+ years but looks in good complete shape.

What can expect performance wise between the Alamo and the FH188?

Also what do I need to do other than the obvious to get this mower back up to operating condition?

Anyone have a link to a manual for this mower?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,207  
I got a Bestco 60" medium duty flail which I used for the first time last weekend. I was in a hurry and it was a hot day so by the time I got it out of the crate and hooked up to the tractor I didn't feel like adjusting it much and just went with where the roller, skid etc were at. Overall it cut good for the height of the grass/weeds but when I looked at it once I was done it was fairly uneven. You could see a line about 2 inches taller left on each pass.

So how should it be setup? If I'm sitting on level ground should the roller and skids touch? Should it be level front to back or tilted? I tired looking at the manual but it didn't really seem to have much in it.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,208  
Roller should touch. Need to make sure roller is set at the right height to cut, can use a tape measure.
Check lift arms to make sure level side to side.
Make sure roller on same holes both sides, skid too. Skid should not be digging into ground so may need to adjust front up.
Other on here can give you more advice if any of this does not look like the issue. Mine came with the skid and roller up to make it easier to ship. So had to adjust both.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,209  
Picked up a Bush Hog FH188 flail today to replace my Alamo SH74. The mower has been sitting for probably 10+ years but looks in good complete shape.

What can expect performance wise between the Alamo and the FH188?

Also what do I need to do other than the obvious to get this mower back up to operating condition?

Anyone have a link to a manual for this mower?
Here is it is.

They basically a updated Ford 917.

Attachments

• FH-Mowers.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,210  
I got a Bestco 60" medium duty flail which I used for the first time last weekend. I was in a hurry and it was a hot day so by the time I got it out of the crate and hooked up to the tractor I didn't feel like adjusting it much and just went with where the roller, skid etc were at. Overall it cut good for the height of the grass/weeds but when I looked at it once I was done it was fairly uneven. You could see a line about 2 inches taller left on each pass.

So how should it be setup? If I'm sitting on level ground should the roller and skids touch? Should it be level front to back or tilted? I tired looking at the manual but it didn't really seem to have much in it.

If you look at their online videos they recommend that the top link pin should be slightly behind the lower pins and make sure to level the mower (left to right) with the adjustable down link. The roller is adjusted to suit conditions and the skids should be raised above a level surface as they are designed to only skid across uneven ground. Also take a pic of the drive belt label before they burn up, makes it easier when searching for replacement since Bestco only lists replacement belts by mower model not belt size. My original belts lasted only a few hours despite several adjustments.

Last edited: