Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #61  
The first part of the video is just about everyone here the first time we tried. The second part is just about everyone here after a little (or a lot) of practice.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #62  
^^^ Speaking of a lot of practice ....

I took a trailer load of metal to a scrap yard a few months back. First time I'd done that, so I wasn't sure of the process. Pulled into an area and the operator told me to turn around and back in. Umm ... I'm not sure I can do that. Somehow, I managed to, but I still wasn't sure what to expect.

Operator climbs up into a massive crane type thing with a grapple hanging at the end of a long cable. Think of those claw and toy machines in restaurant lobbies, but more like 80' feet tall or more. Swings it around and drops it down to a couple of feet over my little toy Harbor Freight type 4 x 8 trailer, then comes down the rest of the way, closes the claw around the load and lifts it off and away. He did that about five or six times and never touched the trailer deck itself.

This guy's probably over a hundred feet away and picking up stuff easier than I loaded it.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #63  
I learned to back a trailer with a low geared tractor, The slow speed helps by giving you more reaction time to correct the direction the trailer is going.

So my suggestion while learning would be:

Back as slow as you can go.

Stop when you need to reposition in the forward direction. Get out and walk back behind the trailer and see where it aligns with the truck. Do this each time until you understand how much steering wheel input gives the results you are trying to achieve.
(This is time consuming) But helps a lot of people gain knowlege by visualizing the particulars of thier setup.

Look at the surroundings of where you need to place the trailer and think out what actions you need to take before backing in.

Remember that backing a trailer is a "cause and effect" real life experience that you can only learn with patience and practice.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #64  
Turn the radio off, for some reason you can see better with it off.
I don't understand why, yet you are right.
He did that about five or six times and never touched the trailer deck itself.
A good equipment operator is amazing. We've all seen the videos where he picks up a dime on the tine of a forklift, or something similar. There are members here who know what they're doing also.

I'm not one of them.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #65  
If you think you are really good at trailer backing, put a tall object (for visibility) in one of these and try backing it with your truck or car.

:D
red-yard-trailer.jpg

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #66  
If you think you are really good at trailer backing, put a tall object (for visibility) in one of these and try backing it with your truck or car.

View attachment 788595
No thanks. The easiest way to back that up is to unhook and roll it by hand.

PS: I learned to back a homemade trailer about that size behind the riding lawn mower. It used to be fun to put it on and practice.

Last edited:
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #67  
Turn the radio off, for some reason you can see better with it off.
The new dump trucks the company was getting as I retired all had that feature from the factory. Good feature, I always turned mine off when backing anyway. Somehow it was always easier to see steer the trailer where I wanted it with it off.
Pro tip: It also helps to have it off when looking for an address or the next road to turn onto.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #68  

View attachment 788595

I can back my wood splitter pretty good as long as I can see it out the back window. When there’s a load on the truck so I loose the ability to see it and it’s too narrow to see with the side mirrors it’s not a fun job.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #69  
When backing keep the the corrections SMALL. If you need to turn the wheel more than 1/2 a turn stop, straighten up then retry.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #70  
your profile doesn't mention where you are, but if you have someone around that can let you use their trailer and give you some pointers that would be best. Short trailers are harder to control and one tip I always tell my kids is go slow and if you place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel at six o'clock position the direction you move your hand will be the direction the trailer moves this is more of a reference when sitting there thinking which way to move the wheel. Good Luck
The old Army trick, both hands on the steering wheel, palms up/thumbs out. Left thumb up moves the rear of the trailer left, right thumb up moves the trailer rear right. Don't forget to watch front and rear of tow vehicle for pinch points and foreign objects (loading dock, other vehicles, tree, etc)