Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #51  
Maybe I missed someone saying it but the tricky part is starting the turn backing up. You have to turn the truck what seems like the wrong way to get the trailer started the way you want. Once started, the you spin the wheel around and follow with the truck.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #52  
I guess the time change has fried my brain...yes I have a hitch what I meant to say is I dont have the hitch pin, ball mount and all that.
I think you had it right the first time. Your truck (like mine) has a receiver. Some people and companies erroneously call that a receiver hitch, but unless you have something inserted in the receiver that can attach (hitch) to a trailer, it is just a receiver. The 'bar' with one or more balls is called a ball mount. The two together (connected by a hitch pin) are properly called a hitch.

Most vehicles that have a tow package do Not ship with a hitch. Some don't even have a receiver.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #53  
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #54  
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #55  
When you buy the trailer, get a spare tire with a mount for it.
I had blowout on I-5 in Washington going 70 mph with 2 tractors on the back (heavy) and if it wasn't for the spare tire I would have been in deep trouble.
And even better, get a dual axle trailer. They handle better when one tire goes.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #56  
The problem wasn't correcting the trailer, it was seeing it. By the time it was in the mirrors, it was out of alignment. A 90 degree back was not a problem as you could see it then.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #57  
On several levels bumper mounted balls are poor. There capacity is low and how do you get your ball at the correct height to match your trailer? A receiver hitch allows you to change it. I might have 4 of various heights to work with different trailers...
I can’t stress enough: the the receiver hitch type with the adjustable drop mount.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #58  
I used to back a 7x12 trailer with a school bus. People couldn't believe it. I wonder what they would do watching this fellow back a double trailer.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNknZilZuoo&list=RDCMUCLIEnPyx7T-mj6c1YzXX3Dw&index=12
I used to back a hay mulcher behind a C65 with a 28 foot rack body into some horrendous places. What made it a challenge was that the trailer was about 2-3 feet narrower than the body, so didn't show in my mirrors until it was jackknifed. Meanwhile the forewoman would sit on the trailer trying to motion to me what to do... I couldn't see her either.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #59  
Couple of things that I have found over the years(many). Turn the radio off, for some reason you can see better with it off. Roll the window down, again you can see and hear better. If you have 4x4, use low range, it makes you go slow. Sometimes you really do need a spotter, and I have found the best place for the spotter is near the driver window, or the front tire of the tractor. If they are at the back you really need 2way radios. And I really love backup cameras for hooking up, during harvest having to hitch 15-20 times a day can be a pain without a camera, even with practice. And the big thing is to practice and never get in a hurry.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #60  
There are some pretty good posts on this topic. If you still don't feel comfortable, come to Florida one weekend and I will teach you to back up. I have had a few miles pulling and backing up a trailer and about 7 years teaching people how to pull and back up trailers.
Good luck, and be safe!
David from jax