Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #1  

tomcatg

Tractor
Kubota L3901DT
Okay this is something that at 58yo, I have never done and its on my list to learn. I have a tow package on my truck, but no hitch and I don't own a trailer yet. To make things more interesting I live in the country and there are lots of windy small roads...some so narrow I fold in my trucks side mirror when I am on them...as I know from experience can be an issue. Two weeks after getting this truck someone came too far over and we slapped mirrors.

Anyway what is the wisest and safest way you guys would recommend to get into this? I want to get a trailer for the tractor at some point and a small camper.

I am one of those people that is typically, cool calm and collected and not easily stressed out. But for some reason thinking about getting stuck on one of these curvy back roads and having to back out or turn around with a trailer etc tenses me up just thinking about it lol.

Thanks in advance!

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #2  
Forward, not so much of an issue.

Backwards, a whole 'nother can of worms.

Backwards around a curve with no room? That takes some experience.

It's less difficult with a longer wheelbase and if you can see the trailer. Up until now, I've only had a small 4 x 8 with a short wheelbase. It's a real bugger to back up, even with a car.

Once you get it in to the property, practice, practice, practice.

Opposite steering while pushing an object just takes some getting used to.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #3  
Your in pickle all right!
How about a dual axle, flat bed, short and narrow trailer that will just do the job.
14' - 16' long might do the trick.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #4  
I'd say practise at home, before you get out into the feild. Plus bring someone with you who knows how to back-up or can at least spot you while doing it. Backing trailers on corners are tough when you can't see what's to hit.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #5  
your profile doesn't mention where you are, but if you have someone around that can let you use their trailer and give you some pointers that would be best. Short trailers are harder to control and one tip I always tell my kids is go slow and if you place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel at six o'clock position the direction you move your hand will be the direction the trailer moves this is more of a reference when sitting there thinking which way to move the wheel. Good Luck

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #6  
Shorter trailer ... easier forward as it should track the truck pretty well, but a royal PITA to back up will want to jack-knife/over-run the turn faster. Longer trailer ... easier to back, but may need wider turns going forward since your rear wheels will tend to undercut the back wheels of your truck. Key's wind up being ... practice (somewhere you won't get into a jam or have pressure to do something stupid because everyone's honking horns) & get to know the characteristics of your set-up (length/turning radius/opposing tracks of front/rear of the trailer -- which may require starting or changing the turn earlier than you think) before attempting heavy traffic. Don't oversteer, especially when backing. Try to know your path ahead of time ... not always possible, but it's better to avoid having to back down 2 miles of narrow winding road than to try to attempt it with no confidence. Make sure your mirrors are set up right ... you'd be surprised how many (4 wheelers) do really stupid stuff around trailers because they don't understand things like blind spots & limited movement capabilities. Learn to do a 3 pt. turn/alley backing so if you get into a jam, you can back the trailer into a driveway/sidestreet/farmgate & turn the rig around to be going forward again asap. Don't be afraid to stop & re-assess if you aren't sure what's happening & slow & steady wins the race. Finally, pay attention as you drive watching for bailouts/turnarounds/etc. since you always want "options" if things start snowballing on you. You should develop a feel pretty quick, & it just gets easier and more refined with doing.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #7  
Regarding backing: Practice, practice, practice.
Longer wheel base trailers are easier to backup.
Go slow, because required reactions have to happen fast.
When backing, getting a trailer to turn is the easy part, getting it to stop turning when you want (and not jackknife) is the part that confuses people.
I always tell people it’s best if you think about what which direction (left or right) the bumper of your truck is pushing the tongue of the trailer, versus which direction it should be. Then steer the truck accordingly.

Think about (the overhead view) of backing a trailer and turning trailer left (say) 45° and continuing backwards in a straight line. As you back, the trailer tongue has to first be nudged to the right, causing the trailer tires to track left. However, you now have to “follow” the tongue of the trailer with the push vehicle, keeping the whole rig in relative alignment or the trailer will keep turning (relative to the truck) and eventually jackknife.
“Be the ball hitch”.

This is why saying “You have to turn the wheel this way or that way” doesn’t make sense, because you’re turning it every way depending on where you are in the turn and your alignment situation.

And when thing start to go sideways (they will), just stop, pull ahead 1/2 a length until rig is realigned, and start over. Pull forward and start over as many times as it takes. Trying to correct a backing mistake by continuing to backup almost never works.

When driving forward, remember that like a vehicle rear wheels that track to the inside of the turn when you make a sharp corner, a trailer will track drastically to the inside of the turn. Take wide turns, with the outside nose of truck as far to the outside of the turn as possible, and watch your mirrors to see where trailer is tracking.

Last edited:
   / Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #8  
I feel your pain. Until last year I had never dealt with a trailer and I'm 60+.

The advice given here so far is pretty spot on.

One thing that I do is that I never go anywhere where I might run into issues. If I'm going somewhere new I have not been with the trailer I make the trip without it to check everything out, find those places where I could have trouble. Plan what I'm going to do when I get there. I plan a route that avoids the worst trouble spots even if it means I have to travel more miles. And I make sure that I am never in a hurry or do things in a hurry.... even if someone else is in a hurry.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #9  
I have a tow package on my truck, but no hitch and I don't own a trailer yet.

Anyway what is the wisest and safest way you guys would recommend to get into this? I want to get a trailer for the tractor at some point and a small camper.

Thanks in advance!
What truck would have a tow package without a hitch? Does the truck have a trailer wire plug yet?

Once your truck is wired and has a hitch, find someone with a trailer to go through the steps attaching/driving with a trailer. Take the trailer owner out to lunch while you are on the test drive. Get a feel for it before you spend a bunch of money on trailers.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #10  
If you have a garden tractor or a compact one, could you practice with that? I find backing with our atv to be much easier than a truck. Point is to practice with something that is easier.
bosstowcamper336.jpg