Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #22  
If you have a Ford with trailer backup assist it’s not so simple. You have to put reflective stickers on your trailer, take some measurements and then set it up in the truck. I’ve never bothered.
That day I wanted to try it to see how it worked, it wasn't a big deal. Just need a tape measure, apply a decal to the tongue of the trailer and follow the instructions.
Truck came with multiple stickers so you could set up a few trailers.

I did find that it steers way more, and faster than I do to back a trailer up straight.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #23  
Find a parking lot and start doing figure 8's forward. Then start doing figure 8's in reverse.

Here's a hint that helped me a long time ago when backing a trailer and using your mirrors.

- Move your hands on the steering wheel from the common 10-2 positions to your lap at the 7-5 positions.
- Look in your mirrors.
- If you want the trailer to go left, push up with your left hand.
- If you want the trailer to go right, push up with your right hand.

Easy peasy.

;)

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #24  
I find just about anything would be faster than me backing a trailer although I’ve improved. My driveway is about 600 feet long and about a foot wider than my trailer. When I back down the entire length my technique used to be back 50 feet, get on the grass, pull forward 10 feet, then repeat. Now I maybe only pull forward once or twice. It’s great practice though. I could just go forward and turn around in the grass but that’s no fun.
I may have to add the stickers some day.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #25  
When you buy the trailer, get a spare tire with a mount for it.
I had blowout on I-5 in Washington going 70 mph with 2 tractors on the back (heavy) and if it wasn't for the spare tire I would of been in deep trouble.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #26  
As a kid with trailer on tractor Grandfather said "look back. If you want trailer left, steer left". I never forgot that.
Going down road have your phone with you, wife following. She can see when trailer is on the edge. My Grandad towed trailers before RVs and always put a small piece of tape at windshield bottom where trailer wheel was on road edge.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #27  
luckily...ive been hauling trailers since i was 20 years old. way easier to learn when your young. I have a 24' bumper pull that is WAY easier to back than my short jet sky trailer. like others have said, short trailers love to jack knife. my easiest trailer to haul and back up is the 30' 5th wheel horse trailer. its amazing where i can back this out of.

when instructing my wife to back trailers, i set up a cones course in arena. way easy to learn this way. and you can only crush a rubber cone and not a fender.

with me, i ONLY use mirrors. looking backwards just makes it harder to maneuver.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #28  
If you have a garden tractor or a compact one, could you practice with that? I find backing with our atv to be much easier than a truck. Point is to practice with something that is easier. View attachment 788197
I’ve always found it easier to back up a trailer using a tractor. it’s slower but it’s easier to practice practice practice as others have suggested.
I just purchased a pickup and trailer within the past couple years so I’m still learning the art of backing up with the mirrors … I can do it but I am no expert and might need to take several attempts to get it to go where I want.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #29  
I thought I was the only one, and I'm also 58.

I'm getting better at it over time, but it is still a very slow process for me.

- take it slowly
- open spaces, watch for obstacles
- 6 PM on the steering wheel
- use the mirrors
- have a more experienced buddy with you when needed
- snow and ice ... that is Master Level
- do the dump runs on the slow days, when there is time and space
- you don't want to meet up with me at the boat launch (nobody has that much patience)

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #30  
when backing up, put your hand at the bottom part of the steering wheel. as you back up, turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go...