Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #151  
My Ferris IS2000 with Parker wheel motors and hydrogear pumps pulls my Trac Vac loaded or empty - 500 lbs full weight maybe more. The tongue weight is 80 empty 120 or so full.

I did put a cooler on the hydro transmission - an 8x12" transmission cooler with 3/8 hose in/out in the return line to the tank- lowered the oil temp from 190-200 to 140-150 range.

All the bigger units IS3000 erc, had them so I installed one.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #152  
I want a Ferris diesel…..all loaded up

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #153  
Yes, this is exactly a concern of mine.

Right now my gf likes "mowing" the pasture, but she'll only do the flat parts of it, and at about 1mph :). I then do the hilly/uneven/parts with trees.

I'm a "research first" type person to find the "optimal" set of choices to decide between in person, but you're right that it may simply come down to whether she's comfortable with a ZT vs a garden tractor.

These might be an option. They side hill better than the floppy wheeled versions. Your girlfriend might be more comfortable with a steering wheel.

I looked at the pro models before I settled on the BX.

Ultima Series™ ZTS - Zero-Turn Mowers | Cub Cadet US

Dave

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #154  
Anyone have experience with the Country Cutters with joystick control? The local small-engine shop sells them.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
These might be an option. They side hill better than the floppy wheeled versions. Your girlfriend might be more comfortable with a steering wheel.

I looked at the pro models before I settled on the BX.

Ultima Series™ ZTS - Zero-Turn Mowers | Cub Cadet US

Dave

Thanks, yeah...I see you didn't read to the end before responding, but I ended up with a Cub ZTXS. Haven't had a chance to use it too much, but happy with it so far!

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #158  
Thanks, yeah...I see you didn't read to the end before responding, but I ended up with a Cub ZTXS. Haven't had a chance to use it too much, but happy with it so far!
I fired up my robot mower, bought it for my mother, but I may just buy one for myself, it works pretty well.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #159  
Anyone have experience with the Country Cutters with joystick control? The local small-engine shop sells them.
If you are referring to Country Clipper, yes I have owned one since 2015. I have the Edge XLT with the joystick, 60" deck, pivoting front axle and the Kawasaki 24 hp. It has right at 510 hrs. on the clock.

I changed rear tires to ATV type tires after the first season (Sedona Bazooka) and I added a Trac-Seat suspension under my stock seat a few years ago.

Those tires I use aren't bar type, they have "X" shaped **** and my machine will go where you aim it and don't slip on the hills, wet or dry.

The stock seat has excellent foam in it and a good cover and that seat suspension made it all possible to cut at speed - I cut right at 5 ac. each time of basically undeveloped, hilly pasture (my yard).

The joystick is the highlight of my mower, I'll never understand why anyone would rather have the twin bars on a ZT. Your right arm stays on the armrest and you use 2 fingers to operate the mower, plain & simple. Your left hand is free to move tree/bush branches, put your hat back on, take a drink of water or whatever ...

Country Clipper also has the stand-up deck. Being a retired mechanic and always big on maintenance this was a no-brainer just like the joystick. I clean under the deck after EVERY mow - always at least a little moisture-holding dirt/grass to remove, sometimes ALOT of it and I want that surely expensive deck to last me. That 60" deck on that 850 lb mower isn't easy to stand up but I used the FEL on my tractor for a few years before finding I could use a 6' rock bar stuck in the front center anti-scalp roller and put her on up by hand.

I've only replaced the belts once now in over 500 hrs, did have to replace 2 of the idler pulleys on the deck a few years ago. The spindles are non-greasable but ARE iron and the bearings ARE replaceable when the time comes.

I paid $5300 in 2015 (with my wife's employee discount) at our local Co-op. The tires cost me I think $100 a piece, the TracSeat suspension was $159 shipped. The Kawasaki has been flawless so far, uses not a drop of oil all season - I change it once a year with the Kawasaki 30w and the Kawasaki oil filter. The 2800 series HydroGear units have been stellar, have changed oil & filters twice since new and have never had to adjust the joystick controls. I blow the whole thing off with air hose after every mow, keep it in an open-weather shed, wash it once a year before storing for the winter and remove the battery.

Just my personal experience with the brand, others may differ.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #160  
Just get the ZTR mower. Get one with the Kawasaki commercial engine and a 60" deep deck. You will be glad you did and will never want to go back to a steering wheel. I have a Deere 930M that I bought new almost 7 years ago. It mows approx 5 acres of grass 9 months out of the year. Occasional belt, grease the zerks, sharpen blades and change the oil and filters on a regular basis.