Largest welder for #10 wire

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #31  
If you already have the welder and the outlet a quick test is to weld for 1/2 hour or so. If the cord to the plug gets hot your wire is too small. That is where the danger is as you could have a connection somewhere that is loose and then the extra heat can start a fire and burn something down. hence all this stuff about codes. It is for you and your property protection. People get away with abusing the system sometimes all their life others reap the reward. Ads mentioned before the de-rating for welders is based on the duty cycle rating. A UL approved welder will have an internal overload that cuts out when the transformer core overheats. If your welder trips off a lot you are working it too hard. The 20% duty cycle units are cheap but are not made for production work. I just bought an old AC/DC 225 (used) as I have needed one but could not afford the higher production model. I will live with it till I can afford a better one. I put in a 60A circuit now anticipating that upgrade. Put a range cord on the welder in place of the 30A cord it came with. I'll be using it later this week so will see if I bought a dog or not. Bought it cheap at a garage sale. I will always run it on DC which draws more amps than AC because of the rectifier loss factor. I was going to by an engine drive but decided I already have too many gasoline engines to maintain.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire
I think there is a much better solution. Remove or cut off the 10ga wire and re-pull the run for a 60A or 100 A subpanel. Then you are good for life. One time deal that will make your garage much more useful. And since you are unsure about this, hire an electrician.

Then you can do whatever you need.

They can pull wire with a vibrating knife or even use the tunneling equipment if you have driveway or something in the way. Do it right, do it once.

Won't need to do this as long as I get the correct welder. # 10 will be plenty as a result. Duty cycles mitigate line sizing as welders are not carrying full amperage loads such as a stove would. At any rate, I can easily understand your point and is good advice for someone just building or laying electrical as well as someone looking to upgrade their service in an out building.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #33  
I run a lincoln ac225s on a 30 amp circuit with no trouble, I just dont turn it up all the way. (the highest I have ever had it was like 135 amps, and that is just because I dont weld any thick stuff, the circuit could probably handle 180 amps)