Largest welder for #10 wire

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I need to weld up a 1" thick splitter wedge onto the beam. As I have a 70' run of 10 ga. wire out to the garage, I know this will only support 30 amp output. Is there sufficient heat range available to weld this thick metal only drawing the 30 amps?

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #2  
I need to weld up a 1" thick splitter wedge onto the beam. As I have a 70' run of 10 ga. wire out to the garage, I know this will only support 30 amp output. Is there sufficient heat range available to weld this thick metal only drawing the 30 amps?

errrr. do you own a welder or are you thinking of buying one that will work? Im confused as to what your asking. There are alot of 220 volt mig welders that will work on 30 amp circuit. Most ark welders want 50 amps.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire
errrr. do you own a welder or are you thinking of buying one that will work? Im confused as to what your asking. There are alot of 220 volt mig welders that will work on 30 amp circuit. Most ark welders want 50 amps.

I do own a welder but its a small stick 100 amp 115 volt type. I'm looking to get a larger one with enough oopmh to put together a wood splitter. I was hoping for one of those inverter DC stick welders being appropriate but do not know how much heat they would generate nor how much amperage I need to do the above mentioned task with a 30 amp outlet.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #4  
Best bet would be to look @ the specs on the welders you are looking at. I think they list the reccomended breaker size? but I could be wrong.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #5  
   / Largest welder for #10 wire #6  
I know you probably want to do it yourself and are probably going to buy a welder anyway but if this is the biggest welding job you are ever going to do then it might be prudent to hire it out and concentrate on dealing with what you would most likely be doing in the future. A splitter wedge isn't something that I would want to have "not quite enough" weld on.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #7  

The ampacity of common #10 THHN wire in conduit at 30C is 40A. Often
the NEC calls for a 30A breaker on this type of circuit. The NEC does allow
for higher ampacities for electric welders, however. See NEC 240-3.

That said, a common tombstone buzz-box is cheap and plenty large enough
for your project. I use this kind of welder on this kind of circuit, and NEVER
use their highest output (225A A/C). That would require bigger rods than
I buy (1/8"). Typically, I will use DC at 100A or so, which is much less
than what the 240V lines will handle.

To weld 1" plate, you will do multiple passes, too.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #8  
Pre Heat the steel and weld with multiple passes...

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #9  
My 225 amp buzz box ac/dc unit sucks 50 amps for about 1/10 second while arking then draws about 30-35 amps as tested with clamp on meter.

/ Largest welder for #10 wire #10  
My 225 amp buzz box ac/dc unit sucks 50 amps for about 1/10 second while arking then draws about 30-35 amps as tested with clamp on meter.

IS that at the MAX (225A setting)????