Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
Over the weekend we updated and improved the Turbo Charge Pipe for the L2501 Turbo Kit by reshaping the piping so the factory Hood Prop Rod Absorber can be used and function as intended.

Intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg

Intake3.jpg

It's gonna make opening the hood so much easier!
No more broomstick!

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
We redesigned the Turbo Intake Charge Pipe so the factory Kubota hood prop rod absorber can be used and function as intended;

Turbo1.jpg

Turbo2.jpg
Turbo3.jpg

This redesign was a necessity! Opening the hood was extremely awkward without the assist of the absorber and holding it up with a broomstick was utterly ridiculous.
Now, all is well! :)

We also added an extension to the Exhaust pipe exit to further send exhaust fumes away from the operator station.
I'll share some pictures of that modification soon.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #113  
Very nice work.

Here are some pictures of the new updated L2501 Turbo exhaust;

Exhaust2.jpg

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

The update has further improved to keep the exhaust fumes away from the operator station and IMHO, also improves the aesthetics of the Turbo package.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #115  
Blends in just like stock. With the slightly downward point do you get much dust blowing up?

Blends in just like stock. With the slightly downward point do you get much dust blowing up?
Not too much (and I’m sensitive to those things). I think it’s slightly better than stock in severely dusty conditions.

Mike

Here's the new ISSPro Boost/EGT gauge combination setup I have installed on the tractor for the L2501 Turbo Kit;

Gauge1.jpg

Gauge2.jpg

Gauge3.jpg

I really like this particular gauge setup. Having the ability to read both boost pressure and EGT temperatures on the same gauge is a real bonus and it definitely beats my previous two gauge diagnostic setup I had installed on the tractor previously. The IssPro is a marine gauge so it should resist the outside elements well and hold up to normal tractor use which is really good since my diagnostic gauges didn't like the elements.

The boost section of this particular gauge isn't the most accurate but, boost is the least important element to monitor. The EGT readings however, are reliable and very consistent to the readings I was recording on my diagnostic gauge.
That said, I wouldn't want this gauge to replace a diagnostic gauge for tuning purposes. For tuning, I highly, highly recommend the use of diagnostic gauges.

This is a great gauge setup for long term use and engine health monitoring! Anybody considering the installation of a Turbo Kit on one of these tractors is going to have to monitor EGT's for the duration of the Turbo installation to ensure engine health and longevity. Hard to beat this setup!

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #118  
Here's the new ISSPro Boost/EGT gauge combination setup I have installed on the tractor for the L2501 Turbo Kit;
SNIP

I wouldn't want this gauge to replace a diagnostic gauge for tuning purposes. For tuning, I highly, highly recommend the use of diagnostic gauges.
SNIP

Mike

Very Impressive. In fact, every post on your project(s) is full of good information. Thanks.

Why would the diagnostic gauge be so much better for tuning? I'd like to start by getting some baselines on the M59 when the EGR valve is in the circuit and when it is not.

rScotty

Very Impressive. In fact, every post on your project(s) is full of good information. Thanks.

Why would the diagnostic gauge be so much better for tuning? I'd like to start by getting some baselines on the M59 when the EGR valve is in the circuit and when it is not.

rScotty

Simply put, accuracy.

The ISS Pro setup is good for ‘monitoring’ the engine performance but, the gauge is a little slow to react to instant changes in boost PSI and EGT temperatures.

The diagnostic gauges I use are instantaneous and are incredibly accurate. For tuning purposes, you want to use the fastest and most accurate instruments to make adjustments and/or verify results.

I hope that helps clarify the reasoning behind the alternative gauge setups.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #120  
Simply put, accuracy.

The ISS Pro setup is good for ‘monitoring’ the engine performance but, the gauge is a little slow to react to instant changes in boost PSI and EGT temperatures.

The diagnostic gauges I use are instantaneous and are incredibly accurate. For tuning purposes, you want to use the fastest and most accurate instruments to make adjustments and/or verify results.

I hope that helps clarify the reasoning behind the alternative gauge setups.

Mike
Thanks. And what about the diagnostic gauges. What about those? Where do you find them?
Or did you make them up yourself?

On one guage set up I made recently I used a K type thermocouple from a hobbyist who sells on Ebay. Good thermocouple .... I think... but my system was slow to react. The problem might be that I mounted the sensor into a machined & threaded hole in a copper peice of 1/2" copper rod 2 inches long. I did not use any thermally conductive grease or such....mainly because I didn't know what type of grease could withstand the 1200 to 2000 F. temperatures. That left me with just the copper and a .025 " air gap around the K type sensor. My suspicion is that the copper itself - a rod about half the length of one finger - had too much mass to react quickly.

rScotty

Last edited: