Is there any way to slow down 3PH?

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH?
Depending on the Yanmar model and the hydraulic system under the seat, you may find a tiny lever to adjust in small 10 degree increments to slow the drop and lift speed. This is what one looks like on a YM2500, YM2610, YM3000, YM3110, YM4300 and possibly others.

Flip the seat forwards and look for this tiny lever to make adjustments.

View attachment 781367
Please see my reply to winston1.
Eric

looking at videos of the 2310 I see is has a 6 star handle adjustment which on some models would be a lock out valve only. On other models it also serves as a drop control. However, I see the 2310 also has another shaft coming out in the same area with a straight pin coming out of it. Do you know what that controls? (drop speed?) That handle can be seen in the first few seconds of this video.
My tractor has the knob and the shaft with the pin coming out. Turning this shaft only controls the drop speed. The manual also says that's what it does and says the knob is only for locking the 3PH in position. There are no other shafts to turn under the seat. I am going to post a link to a video tomorrow showing how fast the 3PH rises even with the throttle set low. My son is going to help me video the operation. I am not sure how to post the video but am thinking YouTube will be the best option.
Eric
Eric

Last edited:
   / Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #13  
I've not heard of a 3PH with speed control on the upstroke, only the down stroke. I don't think there would be any place to install a restrictor for the up stroke as most tractors have internal plumbing for the 3PH.

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #14  
Maybe relevant? My first YM186D 3-point rose fast, too fast for grading a surface smooth. That tractor may have had some non-pro mechanical work on the hydraulics and/or other aspects.

My present YM186D, the one with loader and power steering, allows gentle use of the lift lever for a more precise amount of lift. Probably as Yanmar intended.

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #15  
Does your tractor have draft control on it? If so make sure it is in the down position completely. If all the way up, it will make the 3 point very sensitive to upward adjustments.

Does your tractor have draft control on it? If so make sure it is in the down position completely. If all the way up, it will make the 3 point very sensitive to upward adjustments.
My tractor does indeed have draft control. Though I have never used it I can describe it. There is a lever coming out of the main casting. Near the base of the lever is a hole through which the end of a rod passes. This rod, which is about 8 inches long, is threaded for much of its length. The rod has a spring around it for the complete length. This spring bears against a little rectangular block that is threaded at one end to accept the rod. The block is turned to a 10mm diameter at the other end and there is a 1.5mm hole cross drilled through the 10mm diameter. This hole is for a hairpin retainer. On one arm of the 3PH is a plate that rotates with the arm as the arm raises and lowers. This plate has hole for the 10mm diameter. So as the arm moves the rod is pushed and pulled which then moves the lever coming out of the main casting. At the end of this lever is a fitting for a cable end. About 6 inches below the end of this lever is a plate with a hole. This plate accepts a cable sheath. The other end of the sheath connects to a plow or some other implement. When the plow moves up and down it pulls or releases the cable running through the cable sheath. I disconnected the rod with the spring around it and then tried raising the 3PH. Though the position of the lever does make a difference of when the arms move as the control lever is moved it has no effect on the speed. So I put everything back together. Tomorrow I am going to try changing the position of the block on the rod to see if it makes any difference in the rising speed. I am not optimistic. This morning my son made a video of the 3PH rising just so other folks can see how fast and jerky it is. The video was made with the engine running at 1200 RPM. I just need to figure out how to post the video to YouTube because it has been at least 10 years since I posted a YouTube video.
Eric

OK, I just uploaded a video to YouTube of my really fast rising 3PH. The orange cylinder hanging from the rod is a counterweight to keep the auger pointed down at the desired angle. Link:
The engine us at 1200 RPM. BTW, also on my channel is a video I posted about following error in CNC machines. I made the little setup to show someone how it worked.
Eric

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #18  
@etpm thanks for the video. It seems like there is a lot of bounce (backlash) in your system, at least compared to ones that I am used to. Has it always been that way?

Your other video brought back memories! That used to be something I was tasked with reducing/driving below measurement levels. One of my favorites was finding a worm screw (drive screw) that had a significant (to us) difference between the axis of the screw, and the axis of the cylinder, causing half the angular steps to be too large and half to be too small.

All the best,

Peter

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #19  
OK, I just uploaded a video to YouTube of my really fast rising 3PH. The orange cylinder hanging from the rod is a counterweight to keep the auger pointed down at the desired angle. Link:
The engine us at 1200 RPM. BTW, also on my channel is a video I posted about following error in CNC machines. I made the little setup to show someone how it worked.
Eric
I can only see the jerking as the up lifting from the control lever is just touched in small increments.

I would assume some sort of flow control device seal has gone bad.

My machine will do this same jerking fast up lift when the tiny lever is in the wrong place under the seat. Or the lift just doesn't function at all. It's sure puzzling how your machine doesn't have that tiny adjustment lever.

Now your trick to keep the 3PT auger level is niffty. I'll have to do mine as well. Thanks! :)

@etpm thanks for the video. It seems like there is a lot of bounce (backlash) in your system, at least compared to ones that I am used to. Has it always been that way?

Your other video brought back memories! That used to be something I was tasked with reducing/driving below measurement levels. One of my favorites was finding a worm screw (drive screw) that had a significant (to us) difference between the axis of the screw, and the axis of the cylinder, causing half the angular steps to be too large and half to be too small.

All the best,

Peter
No backlash, it just rises super fast. It is very hard to adjust when using the back blade. It has always been like this.
Eric