Is there any way to slow down 3PH?

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I have a YM2310. I have posted about this before. My 3 point hitch rises very fast even when the engine is spinning slowly. It seems to jerk up because it moves so fast. This is especially problematic when drilling holes and the post hole digger is being stabilized by a helper using the supplied handle. It moves down nice and slow but then comes out of the hole scary fast, which always takes the helper by surprise. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #2  
Hydraulic flow control knob?

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #3  
Yep, what he said.... Most tractors have a circular knob under the seat that you turn to slow it down or speed it up. My dealer told me never to close it off completely because apparently with Yanmar it can cause seals to blow. No reason I would ever do that anyways.

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #5  
Yep, what they said. And another, don't move the lever so fast.

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #6  
Yep, what they said. And another, don't move the lever so fast.
Best answer.

I typically set the daisy flower valve under the seat to slow the 3PT lift for the PHD, otherwise, yes, moving the lever slower is the trick. ;)

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH?
I have been told, and my manual says the same thing, that the knob under the seat is for locking the the 3PH in position. That is it's only function. There is a lever near it that is for controlling the lowering speed, but it doesn't have anything to do with raising the 3PH.. Moving the lever that controls the 3PH slower is not the answer. No matter how slowly the lever is moved the 3PH raises very fast. So even tiny increments of lever movement results in very fast rising of the 3PH. Even if it is a very small amount. This is why it seems to be jerking. I barely move the lever and the 3PH rises quite fast. I cannot raise the 3PH smoothly. I guess I will try closing the valve with the knob so I know it is bottomed out and then open it a little and then operate the 3PH to see what happens. I have been warned not to do this because it might dead head the hydraulic pump. Which may then break stuff. But I gotta try something. I am having a hard time believing that Yanmar did such a good job designing and building the rest of my tractor but neglected the 3PH.
Eric

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #8  
How's this for a guess...........Maybe cut back on the throttle (engine rpm) before you raise the attachment.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #9  
I have been told, and my manual says the same thing, that the knob under the seat is for locking the the 3PH in position. That is it's only function. There is a lever near it that is for controlling the lowering speed, but it doesn't have anything to do with raising the 3PH.. Moving the lever that controls the 3PH slower is not the answer. No matter how slowly the lever is moved the 3PH raises very fast. So even tiny increments of lever movement results in very fast rising of the 3PH. Even if it is a very small amount. This is why it seems to be jerking. I barely move the lever and the 3PH rises quite fast. I cannot raise the 3PH smoothly. I guess I will try closing the valve with the knob so I know it is bottomed out and then open it a little and then operate the 3PH to see what happens. I have been warned not to do this because it might dead head the hydraulic pump. Which may then break stuff. But I gotta try something. I am having a hard time believing that Yanmar did such a good job designing and building the rest of my tractor but neglected the 3PH.
Eric
Depending on the Yanmar model and the hydraulic system under the seat, you may find a tiny lever to adjust in small 10 degree increments to slow the drop and lift speed. This is what one looks like on a YM2500, YM2610, YM3000, YM3110, YM4300 and possibly others.

Flip the seat forwards and look for this tiny lever to make adjustments.

DSCF7268md-circled.jpg

/ Is there any way to slow down 3PH? #10  
looking at videos of the 2310 I see is has a 6 star handle adjustment which on some models would be a lock out valve only. On other models it also serves as a drop control. However, I see the 2310 also has another shaft coming out in the same area with a straight pin coming out of it. Do you know what that controls? (drop speed?) That handle can be seen in the first few seconds of this video.

Last edited: