Is Terramite still in business???

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #31  
You may want to read the above again and give a 2nd thought to buying one. Seems it is becoming a problem to get parts and such. There are a lot of small Kubota's, MF's, Deere's that will meet your needs and parts are always available.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #32  
Ya, I am just hoping to not spend more than 9k, so that's why I am thinking Terramite. Maybe I'll check the local dealer and consider financing. Do the smaller Kubotas have good resale value?

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #33  
pum12, :welcome:, and Happy New Year!

The T-5 you mentioned is 5 years older than mine but likely has half the hours on it. I'd prefer Honda power to Kohler, but either is ok. $6k would be a good price, and IMO for nearly $9K it better have great rubber, good paint, a seat with no tears, and 'full cage' vs single-bar ROPS.

Mine was ragged when I bought it in '06, and every few years I have to scrape lichen off the paint. It's never been stored indoors. I've also done no service but fluid adds/changes, grease, a new battery in '12, and air in the tires. Septic lines and stump removal have been primary jobs, but it's fair for transplanting trees if you've done so with a BH. (a bit 'sloppy' vs a tree spade lol)

Understand that a great many T-M parts are off the shelf items. Powertrain components are in this category, as are control valves, rod ends, cylinders, and other bits that have been discussed here. Rear axle in most is Dana 44, etc. (The steering refit I posted on page 3 is pending failure of the viable OEM bits and/or warmer weather. :laughing:)

Be warned also that we owners never could depend on a nearby dealer for service or support. We stick together, and will be here if you take the T-M plunge. Got any more info about the '93? We like pics, and I'm curious to know which motor you have. t o g

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #34  
Ya, I am just hoping to not spend more than 9k, so that's why I am thinking Terramite. Maybe I'll check the local dealer and consider financing. Do the smaller Kubotas have good resale value?

EXCELLENT resale. Have bought a few used and sold them for more than I paid. New ones I used for years and still got an excellent resale value out of them. I have run Terramites and while they are capable they are very primitive compared to Deere's/Kubota's. (Sorry Terramite guys). On steep hills I didn't care for it at all where as the Kubota's or Deere were more stable and far more controlled. The new Kubota is going to cost more but they normally offer 0% for something like 84 months if that helps or would interest you. I also believe Deere offers special rates also.

If you decide you prefer the Terramite watch craigslist and keep in touch with the guys on this site. Now and then you see some decent deals pop up but you need to look carefully as some lead a hard life. Good luck on your search.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #35  
Like "the old grind" said, "a great many T-M parts are off the shelf items". I’ve owned a T5 since 87 and bought a T9 about 5 years ago. I can get most parts and hydraulic items locally. You just have to research.
True, they are somewhat crude but simple to fix yourself if you’ve got some mechanical skill.
Terramites are built like a tank, ¼ inch and heavier plate. You can stand on the engine hood and not worry about denting it. Try that on a Deere or Kubota. And yes, I have stood on the hood many times when using the bucket as a platform.
They definitely travel slow and have a distinctive whine when traveling. It can be annoying. They’re designed to dig. To be used as a piece of construction equipment. Not a farm tractor. John Deere, Mahindra ,Kubota etc. are really great for their versatility and beat Terramites in that versatility category. But I think the Terramite beats them in size to digging capabilities.
A great feature is you don’t have to leave the seat to run the backhoe, just spin around and dig. Most other tractors in their size group require you to get off the tractor seat and climb on the backhoe seat. Not a lot of fun when digging a trench.
The T5 has a limited boom swing. I think it is 135 degrees, the T7 & T9 is 180 degrees.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #36  
T-5 has maybe 110^ of swing and it feels like 90^ or less when you try to dump to either side, IMO its worst attribute. That said, that it will fit thru a 4' gate, and loads/hauls like a dream are easy to like. Trenching to 6'+ is a snap, and the std 16" bucket makes that man-wide. The stinger has the power to toss it around with ease and the operator nearly out of the seat. ('learning curve' :eek:)

I like having the full ROPS, as my height and old bones make getting on & off a lot easier. A folded-up water heater box makes a quickie sunshade/canopy for it. Common rear wheel bolt pattern allows many wheel tire options. IMO most any CUT BH is more sophisticated and more versatile, but for most work a Terramite is indeed a power for pound champ.

I took mine next door when I saw a mini-ex rented for a rushed septic re-dig. Dave said, "run this, you're faster". I found the lever to switch the takeuchi's sticks to the familiar T-M/Deere mode and off I went. First day I was a bit awkward positioning and the line he requested was a bear to follow. End of the second day I came away thinking I'd have done as we'll with my rough-looking T-M as by scuffing paint off a pretty new rental (11 hrs).

Might be of general interest that I'm almost ready to replace my aging Honda GX-620. A while back I helped another member sort out the ignition switch wiring. Older engines were 'ground to stop' and should have the 'M' terminal on the switch or wire a relay like I did if using a generic switch w/o 'M'. IIRC our guy put in a GX-660 which is 'ground to run', how things are for safety these days.

T-5 doesn't use a SGE's std output shaft in consideration of 'off the shelf' exhaust clearance. Power take-off from the flywheel side may require us to turn a new flange to connect any other motor to the input u-joint(s). I'm looking at the HFT 'Predator' motor and don't yet have the dimensions to make that up if needed, but will as soon as one of us can measure for it. If I'm first to get the motor, I'll make a few and offer 'em up. t o g

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #37  
Today I thought of you all on my way to Rural King and swung by Terramite. They are in business!!! They said it is there slow period and have a lot of people off but are still open and working. The gentleman I spoke to mentioned that they have not been answering the phones due to a lot of people being off but will be ramping up soon.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #38  
A fine way to run a business. At least Power Trac turns on the answering machine while they're deer hunting.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #39  
And it was nice of you to stop and ask, by the way. :thumbsup:

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #40  
No problem - Glad I could help!