Is Terramite still in business???

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #21  
Glad you got an answer! Sorry to hear about your problems and the poor shipping.
You used to see their machines around here all the time but I see less and less of them recently. I noticed you now see the utility companies using Kubota Mini Ex's and the smaller Kubota TLB instead. Makes me wonder if it is due to quality control issues??

/ Is Terramite still in business???
Just talked to local Sheriffs Office and they said to file a complaint with the attorney general and the local better business bureau. I would suggest everyone do that. Probably will have to come up there for litigation and I am ok with that just frustrated that it’s probably what it will come to if they are still in business. Monday I will try and post BB info as well as Attorney General office number.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #23  
Just talked to local Sheriffs Office and they said to file a complaint with the attorney general and the local better business bureau. I would suggest everyone do that. Probably will have to come up there for litigation and I am ok with that just frustrated that it’s probably what it will come to if they are still in business. Monday I will try and post BB info as well as Attorney General office number.

If you disputed the charge wouldn't the cc company just reverse it?

/ Is Terramite still in business???
They do initially until they start their investigation. I have talked to several business around there and they didn’t have much good to say about the company. Almost everyone has said that they have no idea what going on over there but it ain’t good....so we will see what plays out I wish someone locally would go by there and see what’s going on. It’s shouldnt surpri me but it does that a company would act and treat paying customers that way.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #25  
I'm not terribly familiar with them however, I did use one of their machines for a day.

My Dad called & asked if he could "rent me" for a day to clean up some brush at his 2nd house. He knew I had a backhoe and said he'd rent a machine but would like me to visit for the weekend and operate it.

Of course, I said yes.

I ALSO happened to suggest he get an industrial machine as this is what I was accustomed to and once you get used to power like that, a small machine....well.... is small.

So he rents a Terramite....gas operated. I just smiled and made do with the lack of power, lack of reach...

Fortunately, near the end of the day (rather than beginning) the screws that held the backhoe wobble sticks to the valves.....stripped out and let go, rendering the backhoe useless (and it was the backhoe what was getting all the work)

Very VERY poor design where the threads of the bolt carried the load in a push/pull format....they simply stripped out.

Probably took me 8-9 hours to get done with that thing that I could have knocked out in 1-3 hours in my machine.

Add the indignity of the wobble stick stripping out.... left a really negative taste in my mouth.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #26  
Being semi-local, I'm disappointed to hear that the company is belly up... I've used several of their machines over the years, rentals with low hours, all with good luck. They were nice sized for the small jobs I needed them for... I have no grounds for comparison to larger more powerful machines. 4x4 would have been nice in a couple situations, but I made do with the limitations they had.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #27  
I did 4 ft deep garage foundations with one of the Terramite machines, rental. It was the only thing I could get my hands on at the time. Did OK. Filled a need. Sorry to hear they are out of business, seems like they could have handled it better though.

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #28  
Hi guys
Anyone have any recent news on Terraquip?
Is there anyone local that can ask around?
Are they out of business / restructuring / taken over ?

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #29  
After changing ownership a year or so ago I suspected that the new people would close Terraquip if it didn't meet profit goals. I never liked the high prices of ordering parts, but always appreciated the level of help and o'all service I got from the crew, not at my beck and call 24/7 but always getting me going if I had some patience and could call back during their shift. I DO always ask politely and don't demand help when I get through.

I don't feel so handicapped, along with a my share of 'earthwork' I service/repair my own stuff and can make/modify/adapt parts as needed. I also haven't lost a job lately, and have never blamed a source for poor handling by a shipper. That said, some of us are going to be screwed just like TQs recently idled crew.

We still have each other and I suggest we stick together as long as we still own Terramites. These have their share of 'modular' components, many found from other sources (valves, cylinders, hoses, .. darn few 'exclusives') and here's a workaround for IMO one of the tough ones.

A particular detail bugged me for a while after I realized that not having a center button on the steering wheel was a ticket to a slow death of my 'early' T-5's 'offset' steering 'box'. As rainwater enters/fills the column, the now-rusty shaft gouges out the upper bushing. Detritus gathers on top of a critical seal and the wobbly shaft works it in. When the seal goes South, along with allowing more water to contaminate hydro, oil can fill the column during operation and ooze out just below the wheel where the water leaked in. That freezing water also bulges the tube might be the first sign of trouble.

I found a workaround to replace the older offset column/'box' with NO mods to the machine or replacement parts: ;)

- Char-Lynn/compatible 4-port hydraulic assist non load-reacting steering valve, typically $350-600, but shop around!. While thinking that 4-6 cu in could be enough, I found this hi-cap one cheap & NLR, and the worst thing to fear is 'close ratio' steering. 9.8 cu in White Power Steering Valve S1�16�AARAAAAAAAAAA | Power Steering Valves | Power Steering | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com .. while they last.

- 24" Char-Lynn column. Surplus center doesn't show this length at present (Dec '17) but other sources should have it. ~$150 most anywhere. (0.858" dia 36 tooth serrated end)

- Steering wheel .. M-F, AC, many others, diameters 15"-17" 7/8" with 0.858" dia 36 tooth serrated end. https://www.steinertractor.com/OLS139-steering-wheel

I'm putting this info here, but not just here, and I hope folks can find it if their stuff goes crappy like mine. :laughing: Here's my main bits & the nut I bought from SS with the column and valve:
Column.JPG

You got questions? Ask us. :) t o g

/ Is Terramite still in business??? #30  
New to tractors and ownership. I needs something small for my 5 acres to help clean up, move dirt to cover up around foundation and digging drain trenches. Is the Terramite 5 a good tractor for that purpose and what's a good price for a 1993 T5 with 1200 hours that owner says runs in "perfect" condition?