Is DEF that bad?

/ Is DEF that bad? #111  
Lots of DPF problems are a result of operator error on tractors- not knowing they need to be run at higher RPMs, or on trucks, not running them long enough & hard enough to get the DPF real hot.

My mini x has an an automatic idle setting that will drop the rpm to idle with a few seconds of inactivity on the controls and returns to operating rpm as soon as you touch the controls. Do they want you to have problems or is idling not actually that bad? It seems to me that if rpm was of critical importance they would do away with operator controlled throttle and let the machine set itself.

/ Is DEF that bad? #112  
My mini x has an an automatic idle setting that will drop the rpm to idle with a few seconds of inactivity on the controls and returns to operating rpm as soon as you touch the controls. Do they want you to have problems or is idling not actually that bad? It seems to me that if rpm was of critical importance they would do away with operator controlled throttle and let the machine set itself.
I don’t think idling is the problem and never said it was.
It’s working with the RPM too low that’s the problem. Some call it “lugging”. Not enough heat is made to burn off accumulated soot at lower RPM.

/ Is DEF that bad? #113  
Then there's this.
I felt a little better 20 minutes ago reading the above post, slid over to YouTube for a little and this popped up. 🥺

/ Is DEF that bad? #114  
I read some horror stories about DEF and DPF issues on some tractors. I think some companies have it figured out and some don't. Which are which I don't know but I do know that JD pretty much has it figured out. It's like falling off a rock. You just leave the switch on and don't do anything. I've had my 5090 for 3 years and no issues. I do run the idle a bit higher but I'm not afraid to idle it down. As Hay Dude said, most of the issues that I have read about are operator intervention errors and the lack of understanding of the system. This stuff has actually been around for a very long time in all parts of industry.