Is DEF that bad?

/ Is DEF that bad? #102  
I'm going to drop this right here with all this talk about emissions.

My wife's uncle worked for the guy who took out a patent for the catalytic converter. The idea came to him because he was running the crematory in Philly where they disposed of indigents, and also the hospitals got rid of body parts.
The stench of burning bodies was so bad they needed to come up with a solution. It was the same basic technology that he put to use for car exhaust.

My wife's uncle and another guy did a lot of the testing. His boss bought a plane ticket for the suitcase that had the prototype and flew it and her uncle to CA for them to test it at Stanford if I remember correctly. His boss told not to take his eyes or his hands off that suitcase no matter what. When Stanford was done, they told him they really had something.

His boss ended up selling it to GM and GM put it in a Corvette to road test it. He and his co-worker then drove all over the eastern Shore of MD in a 1963 Corvette with a catalytic converter installed on it running tests. He was a young guy maybe early '30's, so to have a "job" riding around in a new Corvette was the ultimate.

And the rest as they say, is history.

/ Is DEF that bad? #103  
Really makes you wonder if the forced EV revolution didn’t happen, and with the efficient new diesel technology, if we wouldn’t be looking at buying trucks with TWO diesel engine options.

Ram sort of does this with the standard output Cummins and “HO“ Cummins.

Would be nice to have 2 distinctly different versions, but all this will be gone in 5 years and all out homes and every street corner will be a charging station (powered by solar panels, of course)

BTW: Did anyone see the report last week that the largest EV charging station in the country was powered by diesel engines?

/ Is DEF that bad?
Really makes you wonder if the forced EV revolution didn’t happen, and with the efficient new diesel technology, if we wouldn’t be looking at buying trucks with TWO diesel engine options.

Ram sort of does this with the standard output Cummins and “HO“ Cummins.

Would be nice to have 2 distinctly different versions, but all this will be gone in 5 years and all out homes and every street corner will be a charging station (powered by solar panels, of course)

BTW: Did anyone see the report last week that the largest EV charging station in the country was powered by diesel engines?

Bet they have a DPF with DEF on that 50kw generator....

/ Is DEF that bad? #106  
I think the interesting part of my wife's uncle's story was that GM had the technology and knew it worked in 1963. But didn't use it until 1975-76??

/ Is DEF that bad? #107  
I think the interesting part of my wife's uncle's story was that GM had the technology and knew it worked in 1963. But didn't use it until 1975-76??
You can't use a catalytic converter with leaded gas; it had to wait for large-scale switch to unleaded. Probably had a lot to do with the delay.

/ Is DEF that bad? #109  
You can't use a catalytic converter with leaded gas; it had to wait for large-scale switch to unleaded. Probably had a lot to do with the delay.
That could be.
12-13 years is a quite a long time.

/ Is DEF that bad? #110  
Lots of DPF problems are a result of operator error on tractors- not knowing they need to be run at higher RPMs, or on trucks, not running them long enough & hard enough to get the DPF real hot.