Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #561  
I was very happy with the price.

Yes, mine is the same as your posted mini-x. I am wanting to add some weight to the back. Do you think I could add 3-400 lbs without trouble?

I am looking at screw on filter assemblies. They range from 10-30 microns or so. Any thoughts on the appropriate filter size? Also, I can’t find any information on the digget em15 hydraulic pump gpm rating. I’d love a ballpark number so that I can size the filter fairly close.

I found metric din fittings and adapters at discounthydraulichose.com, does anyone have a better source, their prices and selection seemed ok. Again, this is all new to me.

Im thinking about sharing some pictures as I go, I like to do little mods. Hopefully you all wouldn't mind. I have really enjoyed this thread and there is not much out there for the import mini-x’s. This is my version of a hot rod.

Thanks, Mark
A 10 will do but i put on a 30 and it doesn't impair the flow. Amazon can be a source for parts like filters , Hose and fittings. Assuming you are putting it on the suction line you will most likely need 5/8" barbed to 3/4" npt.
I added 300lbs of sheet steel encased lead to mine. If you can find Bismuth it is denser than lead and not as deadly.
Please send pics of your mods.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #562  
It does make sense that the cooler should look more like a radiator with top and bottom inlet/outlet configuration.
From what i can tell all the small coolers are arranged like mine.
The coolers are small ( 11" x 12" ) and the plates are less than an 1/8" thick Od. I was more afraid that the interior volume was insufficient.
The volume of added oil was 20 oz. My oil temp went from 58c to 35c .
All this being said, if there was room to turn the cooler on it's side thus working more like a traditional radiator I would have done that.
The problem with this is the very limited room. you need to be able to access the inside of the dog house and running hoses that don"t become pinched , collapsed ,or fried by the engine or exhaust becomes a challenge.
None the less pmsmechanic you are correct.
Thank you for being so gracious. I just wanted to point out something that was pointed out to me when I installed a hydraulic oil cooler on a mower that I built. It's a detail that can make a cooler ineffective and it's something I would have never thought of on my own.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #563  
Note that some attachments are worth buying and others are not. I posted about them. Spares are very inexpensive if you include them. I don't know what the tariff is in other countries, but here in the US it is still 25%.

Big Qs you need to ask about the YFE10S is if it has oil filtration and what engine do you get. I would still go for the B&S gas over the ChangChai/Koop diesel, even if you are not in the US.
I'll look back and find your post.

They're assuring me the YFE10S has hydraulic fluid filtration, cooling and is equipped with the B&S gas engine.

Thanks for your comments

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
A 10 will do but i put on a 30 and it doesn't impair the flow. Amazon can be a source for parts like filters , Hose and fittings. Assuming you are putting it on the suction line you will most likely need 5/8" barbed to 3/4" npt.
I added 300lbs of sheet steel encased lead to mine. If you can find Bismuth it is denser than lead and not as deadly.
Oil filters on the suction side of the pump are bad news. Even the 100 micron mesh strainer in the tank is questionable. I posted pix of the strainer my machine came with, plus Rhino even included a spare. I cleaned out the tank when it was new, and installed new THF fluid. I don't know if all these machines have that strainer. It is good to check.

As for adding weights, where do you put them? I did not know that your could even buy bismuth in ingots or plates, but it is only a bit denser than steel (specific gravity, 7.9) at sg9.8, and less than lead (sg11.4). Lead weights are great if you can get them, and not dangerous at all. The danger from lead is in breathing or ingesting lead compounds.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #565  
Oil filters on the suction side of the pump are bad news. Even the 100 micron mesh strainer in the tank is questionable. I posted pix of the strainer my machine came with, plus Rhino even included a spare. I cleaned out the tank when it was new, and installed new THF fluid. I don't know if all these machines have that strainer. It is good to check.

As for adding weights, where do you put them? I did not know that your could even buy bismuth in ingots or plates, but it is only a bit denser than steel (specific gravity, 7.9) at sg9.8, and less than lead (sg11.4). Lead weights are great if you can get them, and not dangerous at all. The danger from lead is in breathing or ingesting lead compounds.
I can't recall any good quality hydraulic system I've been around that did not have a suction filter, usually between 25-50 Micron.
Then on the return there will be usually a 10 micron filter.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #566  
My counterweight on my CAT E70 is a 1/4 inch steel box filled with concrete, with a steel lid welded on.
hugs, Brandi

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #567  
I did not know that your could even buy bismuth in ingots or plates,
Sorry to get your goat dfkrug, it was meant as a joke. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is Bismuth subsalicylate. The Gov. classifies lead as environmentally hazardous. Hazard Class 9. As we know now lead does not leave the body, ever. Any exposure including but not limited to handling is bad at any age . Trying to be a good steward ,I sheathed mine in sheet metal.My lead came from a dental office remodel years ago and was in the form of 1/8" sheet, easily cut and formed to the back of my mini.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
In CA we have Proposition 65, which requires sellers to put a warning label on any product that has one of many cancer-causing compounds in it. Does not tell you which one is in it. Any products that involves fuel or many metals must have Prop 65 warning. Kinda meaningless.

BTW, Agrisupply in the East will no longer sell to CA residents cuz they don't want to do the Prop 65 label mambo. Too bad. I like them.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #569  
My Mother Passed last December, one of the reasons I could afford a Mini in the budget. She was 90, lived a great life.

Anyway, She grew up at a Saw Mill, was actually Born there according to her Birth Certificate, on a "Lake" because that is how the Logs were shipped to the Mill. She would talk about Tram Walkways, playing on the Tie Piles.

The land was designated "Contaminated" 20 years ago, Creosote from the Wood Preservative, and every household still on it were moved to New Uncontaminated Lots. This year, Land reclaiming has begun and many Big Hoes, are busy digging and hauling the Earth away and New Earth is being moved in. Millions in Rehab.

If I make it to 90! Color Me Happy, Contaminated or Clean. Labels or Nothing

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #570  
My Mother Passed last December, one of the reasons I could afford a Mini in the budget. She was 90, lived a great life.

Anyway, She grew up at a Saw Mill, was actually Born there according to her Birth Certificate, on a "Lake" because that is how the Logs were shipped to the Mill. She would talk about Tram Walkways, playing on the Tie Piles.

The land was designated "Contaminated" 20 years ago, Creosote from the Wood Preservative, and every household still on it were moved to New Uncontaminated Lots. This year, Land reclaiming has begun and many Big Hoes, are busy digging and hauling the Earth away and New Earth is being moved in. Millions in Rehab.

If I make it to 90! Color Me Happy, Contaminated or Clean. Labels or Nothing
That Creosote is bad, bad stuff. Many locations are trying to clean it up now.