If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do?

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #41  
I don't think so.
Honestly I didn't think so either, but you mentioned how much Zion has changed over the decades (opr maybe that was someone else in that other thread) ;)

No offense to anyone living there, Alaska is a great place to visit, but no intention of ever living there.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #42  
Alaska can be a "frame of mind". I lived there for 22 years and enjoyed every moment. However - we retired to our 80 acres here in Ea WA. It's an easier life style here and a slower pace.

Alaska is still - somewhat - of a last frontier. For 22 years I faced the challenges of the unknown frontier. Now, in retirement, I want the easier life and to go with the "known".

If you have lived in Alaska for "a time" - you will understand what I speak of............

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #43  
In my earlier days I lived at Fairbanks. Drove the Alacan, took the ferry, too. Rambled and hunted a good part of the state.

Be sure to order the latest Milepost:

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #44  
Take the marine highway.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #45  
Yes - Egon is right. If you want to see most all of SE Alaska - the Alaska Marine Highway is the way to go.

Go to Alaska via the marine highway - drive home via the ALCAN.

The ALCAN. ENDLESS miles of untouched wilderness. I understand that the entire highway is paved now.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #46  
I'd currently worry about eating the salmon, Dolly Varden, or halibut given the releases from Fukashima, but that's just me. Grayling & trout should be fine as they are freshwater, but it does reduce the options if you start eliminating anything that spends at least part of its life in No Pacific waters..

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #47  
I would go find the Browns or maybe that bunch on the Last Frontier. I would like to smack all of them for crowding my TV channels with their crap.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #48  
Forget fishing out of Homer, gotta go out of deep creek. No docks or boat launch. You hop in the boat/charter and a skidder hooks up to the trailer and just pushes you to water and pulls trailer out from under you.

Better hope the engine starts.

Getting the boat out of the water is more fun than being launched.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #49  
I would go find the Browns or maybe that bunch on the Last Frontier. I would like to smack all of them for crowding my TV channels with their crap.
You won't find the browns if you go to Alaska, they aren't there unless they are filming.

Those other goofballs you will find in Homer.

SR

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #50  
I'd second taking the ferry system. Most of the SE Alaska towns aren't accessible by road - I think only Skagway and Haines. And of course all the coastline and inside waterways are only accessible by water. On a cruise ship you will see a few scripted sights, but you won't really see Alaska. Ketchikan, Juneau, and the make-believe part of Hoonah don't count. Most of Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, Pelican, real-Hoonah, Kake, Meyers Chuck are more real. But to me it's really about the scenery and wildlife. Our experience is all coastal by boat with the exception of a road trip from Seward up to Denali, and a bit of exploring from Valdez. We are anchored off of a waterfall right now, watching bears catch and eat salmon.