If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do?

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #31  
Does that take longer to get than 13 weeks?
And looking it up:

I though the OP lived in Maine.
No idea where YOU live, where I live, I walked into DMV and said I wanted an enhanced DL, she asked me a few questions and I got it right then.

IF you are worried about being able to prove where you were born, take your birth cert with you.

SR

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #32  
You can’t see it all even if you stay there for five years like we did.

Denali would be a priority
Kenai
riding AK railroad to Denali

The northern lights can be seen in September, but winter is best (darkness).

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #33  
"enhanced travel documents"? Like a birth certificate and a drivers license?
These no longer are allowed.

1000001333.jpg

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #36  
Dress warm with rain gear. This isn't a Caribbean trip. I know alot of people that did the trip and didn't dress appropriately.

Ignore the usual tourist traps and go see the state on the time your allowed.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #37  
I am doing cruise this month anchorage, Ketchikan and skagway , any recommendations
we did the cruise, if you can swing the helicopter airboat excursion do it.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #38  
I lived in AK - 1960 thru 1982. Those are what I call the good days. Especially 1960-1965. June thru September would be ideal for tourism.

It will always depend on how much time and money you have.

I would rent a small motor home and start with the Alaska Marine Highway system. Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. This is an excellent way to see most all of SE Alaska.

Haines to Anchorage. Anchorage, south to Seward and Homer. Excellent charter boats for ocean fishing in either town.

Then head back north - all the way to Fairbanks. This trip will mean you have covered most all the paved roads in AK.

Back home via the ALCAN( Alaska/Canadian highway ) or back on the Alaska Marine Highway system.

Remember - any trip to Alaska will require that everybody has a valid passport.

This will be a trip of your lifetime. Plan accordingly.
A good informative post.

One needs to remember also Canada does not like foreigners bearing firearms.

Crossing the Canadian Border with a Gun.

“Firearms are very strictly controlled in Canada, and any visitor bringing a gun into the country must declare it in writing at the border via a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form. A $25 fee must also be paid at the Port of Entry (credit cards are accepted).”

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #39  
Also, what time of year? I have always wanted to go and might finally make it next year. That’s a BIG state though…
My thought is to rent a small RV and do some touring. Maybe spend a day or two fishing.
Big question I didn't see an answer to is if you're driving from Vermont or flying into Alaska and then rent?

First time, it makes sense to do it when you have good daylight to see traveling which means sometime during the summer months.

I really wish I would of kept journals when travling when I was younger, and back then you'd always have to get your film developed when you came back.

For the locals, what is the train that you ride in your car ON TOP of the train? You go through a tunnel for a while and just an interesting experience riding your car strapped to the top of a train looking at the sights on the railway. Pretty certain I was around Valdeez or Whittier, but can't find anything on it online now. Think I took a ferry out of Valdeez though which means it should have been Whittier.

Been up there a couple of times, but over 20 years ago. It's a GREAT place to visit, but not sure about living (which I'm certain is fine with the locals LOL). ANYWHERE you drive, it will pretty much be an interesting time. Do remember driving up to Fairbanks, at least then, a drive you won't foget.

Denali is a must IMO.

My parents went after I told them about it and they loved it. Mom took a plane over the park and she has it on video, mountains were spectactular.

As others mentioned, checking out the glaciers is a must as well IMO.

When mom passed, dad started taking trips up to flyfish up there and he loved it (he still worked part time at a fly shop and they would run trips up). That said, he flew in, flew onto and out of the river and there was an outfitter who put him up in a bunk for his stay. Basic guided trip, be he ALWAYS loved it.

That said, it's been so long ago that perhaps things have drastically changed, but with Alaska not certain how much it could have changed.

Not sure about the passport debate, but as my wife and I are getting older and planning on more travel when the boy moves out, wife hit the nail on the head and told me we're just getting our passports so we don't have to worry about anywhere we want to go and just be done with it.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #40  
That said, it's been so long ago that perhaps things have drastically changed,
I don't think so.

Years ago, I flew a single engine plane from California to Anchorage, Fairbanks, and eventually the Arctic Circle. I've heard 98% of the State is still as wild now as it was back then.

Ditto on visiting Denali park. Although you can no longer drive in, which actually is good. You park at the entrance and visit by riding a bus. All in all its a great experience. Beware that being able to actually see Denali mountain is not guaranteed-- it makes its own weather and is often obscured. We got to see it.

July is a good month for salmon fishing. The salmon runs are very specific and turn "on," run for a week or a few weeks, then turn "off." If you miss it, well ....

I would also recommend hiring a float plane for some remote fishing. I've stayed at Gabberts Camp on Alexander Creek, flying out of Anchorage via a Beaver. Even as an experienced pilot, the bush plane experience was eye opening. If you fly to Alaska and plan to hire a bush pilot, only use soft sided luggage. Your pilot will thank you. Our bush pilot noticed all our soft sided luggage and I explained we arrived in a small plane ourselves.

It is an excellent drive from Anchorage to Homer. You can charter a boat in Homer, better yet sign up to go on one of the regular charters. Then you are on the ocean fishing for halibut and salmon-- the halibut can be huge in the hundreds of pounds.

We also went on a "riverboat cruise" that was quite good. I can't recall the name or details but I believe it was in Anchorage.