If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do?

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #21  
Also, what time of year? I have always wanted to go and might finally make it next year. That’s a BIG state though…
My thought is to rent a small RV and do some touring. Maybe spend a day or two fishing.
Funny you should ask,we are flying to Vancouver in two weeks for our second trip since 1999. First trip we took a 74 Bronco on the Marine Hi-way and was spending alot getting it off of and back on boats so we wound up storing it and hiring locals for ground transportation as needed most of trip. Trains service deep into state and we rode those some. Landscape and wildlife were highlights of trip with locals coming in as close thirds. I'm a hardline advocate of self sufficiency and that was something I had in common with majority of locals. Hollywood depicted Alaskans in "The Last Frontier" far better than they depict Texans in shows set in Texas. When a machine or appliance gives out they stash it in a junk yard. It's expensive and takes a long time to get repair parts so they scavenge junk yards for parts. They do it out of necessity, I do it because I was born into poverty and never got over it.
I'm nearly 80 years old now so we are taking a cruise ship this go around. While in port and other members of my party are on land tours I'll be visiting a couple people I met in 99. I'm taking Bois-D-Arc wood to one that is an artist.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #22  
My wifes family lives in alaska and i lived their for 4 yrs and worked construction all over the state , Travel down the kenai peninsula to homer you will not be disapointed.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #23  
Remember - any trip to Alaska will require that everybody has a valid passport.
Why?
If you fly from a US airport (like Seattle) no passport should be required.
If you drive through Canada a birth certificate and a driver's license with your picture should suffice.
From the wicki
A valid U.S. passport or passport card is preferred, although a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, or another document proving U.S. nationality, together with a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) are acceptable to establish identity and nationality.
link

I bring this up because current processing time for a passport is about 13 weeks.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #24  
Why?
If you fly from a US airport (like Seattle) no passport should be required.
If you drive through Canada a birth certificate and a driver's license with your picture should suffice.
From the wicki

link

I bring this up because current processing time for a passport is about 13 weeks.
U S citizens must have passports for returning from Canada. I suppose if you enter Canada legally and somehow sneak back into the US... :)

We tried years ago when we were in Niagara. I was feet away from Canada, but have never been thanks to the law change.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #25  
We go back to alaska yearly you do not need a passport.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #26  
We go back to alaska yearly you do not need a passport.
You do if you go through Canada to get there...well, technically there are some other enhanced travel documents, but they take longer to get than a passport.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #27  
I spent Jan-April 1994 deep in the woods of Fort Wainright with just 4 man and 10man tents. -40 degrees at night and lots of Northern Lights to see late every night at my post at 1am. Amazing experience for sure.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #28  
You do if you go through Canada to get there...well, technically there are some other enhanced travel documents, but they take longer to get than a passport.
"enhanced travel documents"? Like a birth certificate and a drivers license?

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #29  
An "Enhanced" Driver's License will get you into and out of Canada no problem. It's accepted in a couple other places too.

SR

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #30  
An "Enhanced" Driver's License will get you into and out of Canada no problem. It's accepted in a couple other places too.

SR
Does that take longer to get than 13 weeks?
And looking it up:
The application for an EDL depends on where you live. It is currently only available to residents of the following states:

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington
I though the OP lived in Maine.