If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do?

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Also, what time of year? I have always wanted to go and might finally make it next year. That’s a BIG state though…
My thought is to rent a small RV and do some touring. Maybe spend a day or two fishing.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #2  
Went through this same question about 5 years ago. I found that the best weather/time is June through August. We went on a charter boat through Prince William Sound. The scenery and wildlife was breath taking. Went kayaking at several locations and saw a glacier that was calving. Riding the waves from the falling ice was fun.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #3  
I went up there in a 75 high boy and a 76 gooseneck horse trailer. Knocked around all summer. In some places, most places, mosquitoes will be touching each other all over you. They are ten times bigger than the ones here. I toted a 12 pump every step. Bears all over. When you get out of any town, no cell service. So you can't risk being bear dinner. That means no cooking at the RV. They will show up. If you leave the RV somewhere, somebody will break in and steal everything. Happened to me, over 100 miles north of Fairbanks. There ain't no cops, only in town. Think about that.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #4  
I dunno where I'd go...Juneau?
😁

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #5  
I went all over alaska in 19', air boat, helicopter etc. to be honest I was less than impressed. I know that's going to annoy some people, but I wanted to see northern lights and did not see them. Reminded me a lot of PA. That said I have been almost all over the entire country, I guess it takes me more then some.

I also tried to see them here in a special section for astronomy and failed. If this continues I will be going to iceland to see them.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #6  
I went all over alaska in 19', air boat, helicopter etc. to be honest I was less than impressed. I know that's going to annoy some people, but I wanted to see northern lights and did not see them. Reminded me a lot of PA. That said I have been almost all over the entire country, I guess it takes me more then some.

I also tried to see them here in a special section for astronomy and failed. If this continues I will be going to iceland to see them.
I went to Iceland ..... it was cloudy and raining most of the time. "oh such a shame, it's usually lovely this time of year ... you must come back and visit us again"
Funniest thing was going on a site seeing tour on a bus. We left the hotel at 8am .... it didn't get light 'til 10am :ROFLMAO:

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #7  
I went to Iceland ..... it was cloudy and raining most of the time. "oh such a shame, it's usually lovely this time of year ... you must come back and visit us again"
Funniest thing was going on a site seeing tour on a bus. We left the hotel at 8am .... it didn't get light 'til 10am :ROFLMAO:
Listen..... it's going to happen, even if i have to live there for a month.... I only want to see them one time!

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #8  
You don't have to go up so far to see them. They are sometimes visible from northern states.

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #9  
I wanted to see northern lights and did not see them.
I lived in Alaska 25 years, if you are going there to see the Northern Lights, you have to go in the winter, was you there in the winter??

Where do you go in Pa., that you see mountains like the ones in Alaska? How about Glaciers??

SR

/ If you were in Alaska for the first time, where would you go and what would you do? #10  
I lived in Alaska 25 years, if you are going there to see the Northern Lights, you have to go in the winter, was you there in the winter??

Where do you go in Pa., that you see mountains like the ones in Alaska? How about Glaciers??

SR
I did not go in winter, we did a cruise, late september, one of the last into ports, they said we were in the window.

again, this isn't mean as a discouragement for people going, I just expected more, maybe I was building it up in my mind, but the mountains did not stand out to me from mountains out west or even in PA itself.

and yes they were cool, especially being on top of one, where the water is dark blue, I did an airboat up one of the rivers and were near them as well.