Hydrostatic Tractor

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #11  
The New Holland TC33D and Case DX33 twins had the heal/toe pedal.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #12  
The earlier L2800HST might have it, but I don't know for sure.
L2800HST did have rocker pedal,and it was pain if you wore big snow boots.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #13  
PMS - Tractor Data shows
Engine (gross):34.6 hp
25.8 kW
PTO (claimed):30 hp
22.4 kW (gear)
28.5 hp
21.3 kW (hydro)
30 - 28.5 = 1.5 So the "penalty" for a hydrostaic transmission is 1.5 hp. I'll take a hydrostatic over a gear for the work that I do.

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic Tractor #14  
Welcome to TBN...enjoy. :)

Kubota B models off HST with rocker pedal almost 30hp,if you go 30hp you have to deal with regen system.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #15  
I don’t think there are any sub-compact tractors with 30hp. 30 hp is getting into the compact category.
Exactly. So why is any request for help in selecting a subcompact tractor being answered with a recommendation to "buy at least 40 hp"? Not very useful to the OP.

30 - 28.5 = 1.5
If I'm reading HTDT's example correctly, the engine HP was 34.6 hp. PTO horsepower was 30 for manual trans or 28.5 for hydro. So, in that case the hydro was burning approximately 6 hp, versus the gearbox at 4.6 hp. Irrelevant for any purpose other than showing that we can all do basic subtraction. :p

OP: I would call your local Kubota dealer in the morning, and ask when's a good time to visit to talk with an available sales person. They are the top brand running treadle pedal HST's, and likely where you'll land. I would also visit your local Deere and NH dealers, heck even the off-brands, as you're going to learn some things from each, which you should be asking the Kubota dealer before the deal is done.

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic Tractor #16  
On my Branson that is dual pedal you can pull up the forward to go backwards or pull back on reverse pedal to go forwards so might want to check if other brands allow this before writing off the two pedal versions.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #17  
If I'm reading HTDT's example correctly, the engine HP was 34.6 hp. PTO horsepower was 30 for manual trans or 28.5 for hydro. So, in that case the hydro was burning approximately 6 hp, versus the gearbox at 4.6 hp. Irrelevant for any purpose other than showing that we can all do basic subtraction. :p
And if you would have read what I wrote you would have realized that your statement was not relevant.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #18  
Guys, I'm not sure why you're wasting discussion on "gear vs. hydro", when the OP is specifically looking for a hydro tractor. I also don't understand the fixation on 1.5 hp differential, I just don't run into many situations where my tractor's horsepower is the primary limiting factor in getting a job done.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #19  
It might be worth checking with a business that does handicap van conversions. I worked for one briefly and they did some practical engineering to make vehicles drivable for people with limited mobility. Your are looking for a place that has a shop, not one that just sells vans with wheelchair ramps.

Doug in SW IA

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #20  
I was thinking of the drive-by-wire treadle as being easier to operate by hand with a lever. The HST pedals on my Branson can require a pretty heavy foot when there's a lot of force involved, like going up a steep hill.

Removing the potentiometer and using it with a dedicated hand lever would be even cooler, I didn't think of that.
Some of the makers already have an HST cruise control available. These may however have limitations for speed range of actuation.