Hydrostatic Tractor

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #1  

Junkman Joe

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7195
Looking for a used sub compact tractor, 30 hp. That is hydrostatic heel/tow controlled.
I’m handicapped and currently have a Cub Cadet 7195 19 hp. with heel/toe forward and reverse controlled tractor.
I have bolted a flat metal arm on the heel/toe so I can control the tractor with my hand.
Looking for a bigger tractor with the heel/toe control.
Can someone tell me if there are any used 30 hp. Tractors out there and the brand name.
I have talked to two fabricators to try and make something work for the two pedal control tractors, but they can’t come up with any thing that can work smoothly and have room for my foot and the loader controls.
Can anyone give me a name of a tractor that I can make work for me.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #2  
Kubota L3301 HST will have the treadle pedal control. The earlier L2800HST might have it, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic Tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN! There are many foot pedal hydrostats out there and available. I am most familiar with Kubota that have a treadle pedel and models like L3901 and 3301 are similar. For used 30 HP try to find one "pre-emission" model 2012-14 vintage with a few hundred hours - Kubota, Kioti are some of the more popular brands, but look at others too.

Then as far as actuation of the treadle, you can get a small 12V linear motor with a toggle switch to push/pull the treadle, or you can have a mechanical setup too. I would suggest going out and looking at several dealers machines and trying them out to see how you fit and how they will work with you to meet your needs.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #4  
Junkman, not addressing your questioin, but important. In compact tractors, hydrostatic transmissions use 7 - 9 of the available engine horsepower. Your 30 hp tractor may have only 23 hp at the PTO. If you'll be using the PTO to power finish mower, bush hog, etc., the recommended horsepower will likely be higher. Look at 40 hp tractors

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #5  
I think all small Kubota tractors including the new models have a treadle pedal. Other manufacturers are going away from that style but their used models may have it.

The Grand L 60 series have a drive-by-wire HST pedal which may be even easier for you to adapt. The smallest is the L3560. In used models the previous Grand L line was the L40 series which also had the drive-by-wire HST. The smallest one of that series was the L3240.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #6  
Junkman, not addressing your questioin, but important. In compact tractors, hydrostatic transmissions use 7 - 9 of the available engine horsepower. Your 30 hp tractor may have only 23 hp at the PTO. If you'll be using the PTO to power finish mower, bush hog, etc., the recommended horsepower will likely be higher. Look at 40 hp tractors
My 35 engine hp 4410 looses 1.5 hp to the hydrostatic transmission vs the geared model. And I would suspect that that is only under heavy tractive loads like plowing or other kinds of tillage. When it comes to lighter pulling loads like mowing I doubt if it makes much difference at all. Certainly not enough to avoid a hydrostatic transmission. The pto to engine link is a direct mechanical connection on virtually all small tractors. The hydrostatic is for forward/reverse motion only.

I like the idea of modifying a drive by wire system. For one thing it opens up the choices to more than just treadle controlled tractors. Somebody smarter than I should be able to figure how to accomplish this. You could leave the tractor stock and just tie into the wiring with a conveniently located joystick like control and have a pedal/joystick switch to switch from one to the other. Maybe the joystick could be installed in series and you wouldn't even need a pedal/joystick switch. Like I say, somebody smarter than I am.

Last edited:
   / Hydrostatic Tractor #8  
I was thinking of the drive-by-wire treadle as being easier to operate by hand with a lever. The HST pedals on my Branson can require a pretty heavy foot when there's a lot of force involved, like going up a steep hill.

Removing the potentiometer and using it with a dedicated hand lever would be even cooler, I didn't think of that.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #9  
How many 40 hp sub-compact tractors do you really see in your daily travels? How many sub-compact tractors can even safely lift or travel terrain with brush hogs or other implements requiring more than 23 HP at the PTO?

I have a Deere 3033R, which is 32/23 hp gross/PTO. It works great with loader, brush hog, snowblower, snow plow, plug aerator, and seed spreader. If I had to drive any more serious ground-engaging implements off the PTO, then the high HP (3046R) might be warranted, but you can do an awful lot with a 33 hp tractor.

To the OP, Kubota is where you'll want to be, for a solid machine with treadle control, good resale value, parts availability, and dealer support. Deere has a two-pedal control, with separate forward/reverse pedals. If you're more worried about up-front cost than resale, support, or availability, then there are other cheaper brands, but I'd stick to Deere and Kubota, myself.

/ Hydrostatic Tractor #10  
How many 40 hp sub-compact tractors do you really see in your daily travels? How many sub-compact tractors can even safely lift or travel terrain with brush hogs or other implements requiring more than 23 HP at the PTO?

I have a Deere 3033R, which is 32/23 hp gross/PTO. It works great with loader, brush hog, snowblower, snow plow, plug aerator, and seed spreader. If I had to drive any more serious ground-engaging implements off the PTO, then the high HP (3046R) might be warranted, but you can do an awful lot with a 33 hp tractor.

To the OP, Kubota is where you'll want to be, for a solid machine with treadle control, good resale value, parts availability, and dealer support. Deere has a two-pedal control, with separate forward/reverse pedals. If you're more worried about up-front cost than resale, support, or availability, then there are other cheaper brands, but I'd stick to Deere and Kubota, myself.
I don’t think there are any sub-compact tractors with 30hp. 30 hp is getting into the compact category.