Winches hydraulic winch idea

/ hydraulic winch idea #81  
fine idea but You need another tractor. I have a newer Kubota with loader and backhoe (wish I had a grapple too) fine tool for lots of jobs. But when I need to drag something, or work the dirt, I climb on one of my ancient heavy ugly tractors. Does what it was designed to do, doesn't care about brambles, swinging limbs, flying rocks.........and I never have to take the backhoe off my 'pretty' one.
(if I ever find a forestry winch cheap, it will go on the back of one of the old beasts.)

This really IS the best idea of all... I could NOT live with having just one tractor around, even if one of them had to be an older tractor.

There are lot's of good older tractors around that can be bought for a reasonable price, and they have a LOT of work left in them...

SR

/ hydraulic winch idea #82  
You need another tractor.
This really IS the best idea of all..

The thread is about advice for a hydraulic winch for different winch jobs. Which is an excellent idea done right, very useful and a solution that will work and last, in difference to an electric winch. But you keep on about logging winches which is a completely different tool for a different user case, and now he should buy another tractor instead? Get real!

/Marcus

/ hydraulic winch idea
After all the ideas and suggestions this thread has generated so far, my plan has been modified somewhat. My goal from the start has been maximum versatility while being safe and not damaging my machine. Some have said any winch on the loader will cause damage. I completely agree it could. The size of the logs I will move, the strength of a TLB loader, the slow line speed of the winch and some common sense operating it lead me to believe I can do it safely. A well respected welder/ fabricator I spoke with agrees.

The modification of my original plans stems in part from the fact that I may find situations or logs I think are bigger than I want to pull using the winch mounted to the QA on the loader. My idea is to weld ears on the front of the QA plate allowing me to attach it to the 3pt hitch. From there a bolt on mount between the winch and the plate would allow me to swap the winch from one side of the QA plate to the other. With the winch on the 3pt. I think I could pull about what ever I want and tractor would skid long before any damage could happen. As a reminder, my intent is not to skid the log with the winch, but simlpy get it to the machine so I can cut it up and haul it with the grapple.

The tractor has the 3 valve rear remotes as well as the auxiliary ports on the loader ( that run the grapple) so powering and controlling the winch is simple from the front or rear of the tractor.

This arrangement would give even more flexibility than my original idea. It would be quite simple to fabricate a mount that bolts to the QA plate and the bolt the winch to that.

The idea of a second tractor is not an option, nice thought though! Keep the good ideas coming and thanks to all for the ones so far. Dave

/ hydraulic winch idea #84  
After all the ideas and suggestions this thread has generated so far, my plan has been modified somewhat. ----------------------

The modification of my original plans stems in part from the fact that I may find situations or logs I think are bigger than I want to pull using the winch mounted to the QA on the loader. My idea is to weld ears on the front of the QA plate allowing me to attach it to the 3pt hitch. From there a bolt on mount between the winch and the plate would allow me to swap the winch from one side of the QA plate to the other. With the winch on the 3pt. I think I could pull about what ever I want and tractor would skid long before any damage could happen. ------------------------

This arrangement would give even more flexibility than my original idea. It would be quite simple to fabricate a mount that bolts to the QA plate and the bolt the winch to that.

The idea of a second tractor is not an option, nice thought though! Keep the good ideas coming and thanks to all for the ones so far. Dave
You don't need to swap the winch from one side of the plate to the other. There are many threads about mounting pallet forks on the loader or the 3 point. You can make a frame to do that.

Here is how my Speeco bale fork does it.
Speeco Ultra Fork.jpg

P5240036.JPG

P1060004.JPG

If you use a solid QA plate, you can cut slots in it to let the 3pt lift arms come in from the back.

Or use this from EA and add the framework to it.
CAL-UNIPLATE-2T.jpg

Last edited:
   / hydraulic winch idea #85  
I think I posted this before, but when i install my hydraulic winch, I'll mount it on top of the dipper.
It will be fed by the QC's and have a removable pulley that attachs to the bucket or bottom of dipper, haven't figured that out yet.
The stabilizers will act as supports, something like a tow truck.
I don't do logging but a winch is always handy to have.

2ywai6f.jpg

/ hydraulic winch idea #86  
The thread is about advice for a hydraulic winch for different winch jobs. Which is an excellent idea done right, very useful and a solution that will work and last, in difference to an electric winch. But you keep on about logging winches which is a completely different tool for a different user case, and now he should buy another tractor instead? Get real!

/Marcus

ACTUALLY, the thread is about "idea's" and I have offered mine, from using the right tool for the job to owning a second tractor...

What did your post offer the OP???

SR

/ hydraulic winch idea
Xfaxman, I didnt think I would be able to do that because I use a quick hitch on the 3 pt arms. After a closer look, I think I will be able to fab the QA plate so the winch can remain on the front side of the plate at all times. Thanks for your idea and photos.

/ hydraulic winch idea #88  
What did your post offer the OP???

I offered my ideas about a hydraulic winch (as per the thread subject) already in message 9 on the first page. As I'm going to implement a similar solution as the OP I'm also interested in all relevant feedback...

BR /Marcus