Winches hydraulic winch idea

/ hydraulic winch idea #1  

dbutler

Tractor
kubota l45
I have an L45 Kubota and one of its many uses include cleaning/thinning of the woods on our 20 acres. Most of the logs and brush I want to move I can get with the grapple and or backhoe with thumb. Occasionally I use a chain and skid the log where it needs to go. In several cases, the logs are on a slope that does not allow me to get the tractor close enough.

My idea to get these logs close enough is to mount a Warn 7500 lb. winch to a QA plate and use the optional hydraulic ports on the loader arms to power it. They provide 11.8 gpm. which per the winch specs will give me ample line speed and pulling power. The winch has 125 feet of 3/8" cable. This would give me the reach I need to skid the log to a point I could get it with the grapple or re attach it with a chain to the rear of the tractor. I think by pulling fairly straight on I would avoid any loader arm problems. Pulling hard from a side angle may over stress the loader arms.

The reason I want the winch on the front is because I want to keep the backhoe mounted. The weight of it gives me much better stability and traction, as well as maintaining the ability to use the hoe and thumb. A "farmi" style 3pt winch is not in my budget and it would force me to remove the backhoe.

By mounting the winch to a QA plate, I could swap swap between the winch and grapple or bucket in about a minute giving convenient flexibility.

By using a hydraulic winch, I could control it with the buttons on the loader joy stick. I spoke with a Warn tech who said the winch would work perfectly for the application I described.

Any thoughts or ideas on this project would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

/ hydraulic winch idea #2  
An expert like JJ will be a long soon enough, but I believe that a loader valve is a poor choice to control a hydraulic motor because the motor needs to spool down and return to neutral.

/ hydraulic winch idea #3  
Could you figure a way to mount it dirrectly to the front of the tractor . That way its always there , nobody plans to get stuck .

/ hydraulic winch idea
Sprinklerman, Not that I cant get stuck but luckily my terrian has no mud issues to get stuck in. You make a great point but with the fabrication and plumbing it would take, I think mounting the winch to a QA plate will work well too.

Rock knocker, That is an issue Ill need to research further. I dont know a whole lot about hydraulics. The Warn hydraulic tech and I talked for about 20 minutes and he seemed to think the optional ports on the loader arms would be okay. He said one button would be spool in and the other spool out. I would also be able to free spool by disengaging the winch.

/ hydraulic winch idea #5  
My thought was , 1 its always with the tractor , not laying on the floor of the garage . 2. its not on the loader arms , so pulling at some angles wouldnt be a problem . 3 . The loader bucket would also be a way to anchor the machine , in addition to the hoe .

Did you ever thing of a large electric winch , much easier to set up .

/ hydraulic winch idea #6  
Would seem if a TLB is used in the woods, the backhoe offers a good anchor for log skidding. The stabilizers can be planted and the hoe can point toward the load. A winch could hang on a plate with a hole for an extra-length bucket pin. Hydraulics could tee in at the curl cylinder with QD's. The curl valve would even allow feathering. Just a thought.

/ hydraulic winch idea #7  
It is a good starting idea but needs some things worked out and verified. The winch doesn't have a load with much momentum so starting and stopping the motor using the loader valve to control the motor might be OK though a motor control valve would be better. You will want an experienced hydraulic motor control guy to confirm that. I think a potentially bigger problem would be if the loader valve is regenerative. Many if not most Kubota loader valves are regenerative so research that to.

I like rbargeron's idea of putting it on the BH.

/ hydraulic winch idea #8  
The 3rd function valve is not regen. (at least on my M9540) and should work. Mounting on the backhoe in place of the bucket would be slick. Ideally you have a "thumb" for powering the winch and a pin on bucket. On my grapple, there is some room in-between the left & right levers for the ssqa and mounting the winch behind the grapple, in the middle between the levers, would be real nice to have the winch & grapple available, even though you'd have to switch them back & fourth (hydraulically) for use. You would also have to make a simple mod. to your grapple that would allow the cable to pass through the back "tines", allowing the cable to move back & fourth the width of the drum.
Ramsey makes a nice 8000# winch with a 6.5" drum width. The drawback is that it only hold's 85' of cable, but 85' is a pretty good reach and also put's you closer to the winch's rating (rated at "first layer" of cable).

/ hydraulic winch idea #9  
I'm adapting a Sepson hydraulic winch to my Kubota L5030 for exactly the same purposes. I will attach it to my front mount quick hitch, not to the FEL. There it will be strong enough for self-recovery, and low so it doesnt tip the tractor. If needed I could put a snatch block on the FEL to get a bit of lift, but then use caution not to overload the FEL.

It will be powered from the hydraulic PTO circuit and use a separate valve with a wireless remote for in/out.

Electric winches are no good for logging, forget that. It would just drain the battery and/or overheat.

/Marcus

Edit: I found a used winch for the equivalent of 1000Usd, these things are insanely expensive new.

Sepdurance, Manual freespool, 38 kN - Sepson - World Class Winches

/ hydraulic winch idea #10  
Just thought of something (along the winch idea) that I saw that I thought was very clever with a backhoe. A guy was pulling cable through conduit with his backhoe. He had a winch drum mounted on one of his rear wheels, the stabilizers had that tire in the air, and for his application, he had a sheave chained to his bucket guiding the cable into the conduit. Clever and cheap winch for a backhoe.