How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this? #11  
I wouldn't even mess with that tree. It's just too dangerous. This is where I'd pay someone with either an excavator or big equipment willing to take the risk.
I suppose it depends on the guy dealing with it. I would have no problems on pulling that tree till it would lay on the ground and then cut as needed.

/ How would you fall this?
Probably next weekend project.
just came down this week I suppose. Discovered while cutting down grass in trails.
The top end is a good 50’ up in the air. So trimming top end is not a simple task to lessen its load.
I did go back down to look again today and I think the first attempt is gonna be a long ass rope / tow strap to the top-ish side and see if I can pull it sideways off the berm. If it comes that’s simple then.
if it does not come - then the approach will be to cut between the root and berm to hopefully have the top fall and the stump snap back somewhat upright.
there’s a lot of safe space behind there including another huge tree to dive behind when it starts to let loose.
I’ll be sure to update the thread but won’t be doing much until next weekend due to plans already in the books!

/ How would you fall this? #13  
I wouldn't even mess with that tree. It's just too dangerous. This is where I'd pay someone with either an excavator or big equipment willing to take the risk.

Waste of money ... I don't see the high risk in this tree, I mean there is always risk when operation a chainsaw but this tree is already fallen, id show up with only a chainsaw and a axe and I'd have it cut down in no time, it would take longer to clear it off the road then cutting it.

/ How would you fall this? #14  
   / How would you fall this? #15  
the lifting capacity of this thing is impressive!!!
Yep, over 6,000 pounds and it is itty bitty:
P1120002.JPG
P1120008.JPG
P1120012.JPG

/ How would you fall this? #17  
There's no way I would cut that at the base. Big log three or four feet off the ground, when it goes you have the root ball hopefully setting back down, log dropping, and with the limbs there is no way to know just where that log is going, all at the same time. Start at the top, work your way down and take advantage of cutting it being held up off the ground. Watch it as you cut, don,t get your head over top of the log so it doesn't get you if it stands back up.

David

/ How would you fall this? #18  
Is there a safe way to strap a chainsaw to a tree on a pivot so you could pull on a rope from 100' away and cut the trunk without taking a chance on anyone getting hurt? Search "remote tree felling" on youtube. I would think part of the risk would be whether the tree has come to rest or if it's like a spring trap just waiting for some unlucky person to get too close.

We've already had one member escape a close call with a smaller tree. Saved by a steering wheel

/ How would you fall this? #19  
I'm retired, I'd take my time.
First of all - did you trim everything on the upside? Or did it grow that way.
I'd start at the top with chainsaw and pole saw. Cut a bunch away, haul it off, repeat. Keeping a clear path in case it moves. Trimming the branches back to clear 5' or so of stem at a time, then cutting off that part. And might put a good stout rope "down trunk" so if it stands up it would help cutting down more pieces.

If it "stands up" during the process I could easily get out of the way, then cut it at the base and have a rope to assist.

Take lots of picture or videos please.

That's a good point. I was thinking the same thing....what if I HAD TO remove that tree? Say it's during a flood and that's way is the only way out - that happened to us. What would I do then?

Well, the one thing I know is that the tree is not very likely to move in the direction it is pointing. So like you say, I'd probably start by standing in line with the tip and pulling it that way or removing small sections. If it stands up, it misses me. If it rolls, I'm out of the way.

If I get enough of it removed so I can drive around it, that's just what I'll do until I figure out the next plan.
Which will probably involve hiring someone with a larger machine. And that's still the first choice.

Actually after the flood we bought a larger machine for just exactly that reason. Getting out of a flood at midnight without power was a real concentrated learning experience. One thing I didn't know is just how loud a flood is. Take the loudest sound you've ever heard and it is like that but it goes on for hours. We could not hear the person standing next to us without yelling.

rScotty

Last edited: