how do you store your tire chains ?

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
I've found all kinds of posts for tire chain makes, models, installation etc. but not much for tire chain storage. So I'm looking for the best ways to store tire chains till next winter. I took mine off because I have some work to do that I don't want them on for and I'm hoping that the worst of our snow is done for the year here in south central Pa. I bought mine new for this winter and they just have some typical surface rust on them here and there. I thought about a used oil dip and drip dry, a spray bath of wd-40 or diesel fuel, maybe even motorcycle/atv chain lube, or just put away clean and dry? They will be kept in my garage till needed next winter, so they won't be exposed to the elements. I have the canvas bag that they came in or could use a bucket, or even hang them. I'm just wondering what most of you do to prolong the life of the chains while keeping them neatly stored.

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #2  
I have bolts in the wall and I hang them after I wash them and oil them in the spring..

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #3  
The only tire chains I have are for the rear tires of my Kubota B7800, and I never take them off.

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #4  
I remember a thread like this ten years ago or so. Lengthy discussion. Very opinionated.

They are steel chains. Store them however you like.

How do you store you log chains? Do you clean them and oil them properly? :D

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #5  
I remember a thread like this ten years ago or so. Lengthy discussion. Very opinionated.

They are steel chains. Store them however you like.

How do you store you log chains? Do you clean them and oil them properly? :D

Actually I treat my tire chains better then my tow/logging chains.
The tire chains get hung on the wall . Not washed (they usually are clean when taken off) not oiled nothing.
I'm in my 70's and some of my chains are older then I am so I really don't worry about it.

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #6  
I store my tire chains in the boxes they came in from tirechains.com. I started putting them on last fall and said to heck with this..... and put them back in the boxes... :) Don't probably need them, anyway. Just a waste of $500. :)

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #7  
I keep mine in plastic barrels,
when I finally get to take them off I will hose them off clean, let them dry good.
Then hook them to my bucket lift it high and place the barrel under the loader and lower and feed the chain into the barrel.
I will then usually spray most of a can of WD in the barrel before I put the lid on it.
I can get two 18.4-30 chains in a 35 gallon barrel.
I tried oiling them one time, never again. When I went to put them on the next fall by the time I got them strung out and ready to install they had picked up so much dirt from the driveway it was a mess getting them on.
Over at the farm we just hang them on a wall or pile them on some old dry hay in an out of the way corner.

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #8  
Mine have been hanging on the barn wall for the past 25 years!
I spend the winter in Florida!

/ how do you store your tire chains ? #9  
In the spring I drag my ring chains into the end of my three sided shed and leave them on the dirt floor and then in the autumn I drag them out again and put them on for the winter. This has worked well for the first forty-seven years of their life but may be detrimental in the long term.

/ how do you store your tire chains ?
I don't do anything with my log/tow chain that stays with the tractor all the time, just use and abuse and wrap it back up, lol. I just figured since the tire chains are substantially more money and will sit for 6 months or more that maybe there should be a little more preventative maintenance for them. It sounds like minimal to no prep should be fine. That works for me, lol. Thanks!