How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve?

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #11  
Our pump is 265 feet deep and we have a check valve on top
of the pump.
I would never use a foot valve because they go on the inlet side
of the pump and a check valve is on the outlet side.

willy

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve?
I thought they had a model that could be installed above ground before your tank, in my case in the basement.
Does yours leak a little water? The web site says the model I'm looking at does. I must install mine very close to the well because I have hydrants and the house connected before the pressure tank and switch. In fact, the first hydrant tee is located about 5 feet from the well casing. So the CSV must be near the well casing because it must be located before the first water draw.
Eric

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #13  
I have pulled my 50ft well with sump pump at the bottom many times my self. Although I do have black poly. One day I pulled the pump 3x to diag and replace a bad pump coupler. I used no special tools and did it by my self.

The only issue your going to have is your well has PVC so you will need to make up a tool to clamp and hold each section above the well casing. Or you could pull it all up and not worry if it breaks then just replace it with black poly.

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #14  
Not a chance. I have much experience with VFDs. They are great for some stuff, like the spindle drives in my CNC machines. But way too complex, failure prone, and expensive for a well serving one residence. Besides, I just put a new pump down the hole. Using a VFD would require a 3 phase pump and mine is single phase. And, the CSV also provides constant pressure, doesn't harm the pump or motor, costs less than a hundred bucks, and my well pump supplier and installer says a CSV is a good idea.
Eric
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you say but one thing that I do know is you can get VFDs that work on single phase motors. I have 3 of them.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you say but one thing that I do know is you can get VFDs that work on single phase motors. I have 3 of them.
A couple years ago, maybe it was 3 years, I looked for and found only 1 supplier of VFDs made for single phase motors. The single phase motor had to be a particular type though. I think it was the type that did not have a centrifugal starting switch. Is that how your 3 work? What type of and what HP rating are the motors you are running? And how much were the VFDs? The one I found was about 300 bucks for one rated for less than 3/4 HP. I pay about 75 bucks delivered for 3 HP rated VFDs that take 240 volts single phase input and power 3 HP high speed spindles. I have a couple drill presses that would benefit greatly from a variable speed motor. And I have two wonderful old Baldor grinders that have 1725 RPM motors without centrifugal starting switches that I would love to have spinning at 3450 RPM. I still am not gonna use one on my well pump though.
Eric

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #16  
Not selling anything. Mine works great. Doesn’t require a 3 phase pump, ( no pump change) less than $1000. Constant pressure, soft start, lower energy cost ,
Do more research. Perhaps I should have said Frequency change to induction motor.
On pulling pump, two of us just hand pulled a 120 ft pvc piped well and laid it down on the lawn. Pipe flexed enough, no issues.

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #17  
Does yours leak a little water? The web site says the model I'm looking at does. I must install mine very close to the well because I have hydrants and the house connected before the pressure tank and switch. In fact, the first hydrant tee is located about 5 feet from the well casing. So the CSV must be near the well casing because it must be located before the first water draw.
Eric

Mine does not leak water in operation ( at least I’ve never seen any on the floor)- you can see the install in the photo I attached

Mine does not leak water in operation ( at least I’ve never seen any on the floor)- you can see the install in the photo I attached
Your model is different than the one I'm looking at. I don't need adjustability, I can just order the pressure setting I want. The one you have is three times the price and installs differently.
Thanks,
Eric

/ How difficult to pull well pump to install a Cycle Stop Valve? #19  
Pulling wells can be hard, or easy. Depends on what it has for drop pipe, condition of well and and the pitless adapter style. Most drop pipe is 1" for residential wells. Note that Cycle Stop is 1-1/4" female NPT, so you will most likely need a 1" female to 1-1/4" male adapter. If the pitless is not a spool style with the drop pipe centered put the Cycle Stop one length of pipe down or 20', so it does not put side pressure on the pipe or Cycle stop. Plastic already whips around in a well pretty bad.

If it has roll pipe then you can pull it out by hand pretty easy. Just roll it over top of a old rim or something like that to prevent it from kinking. I would cut the drop pipe using a regular wood saw and use brass hose barbs. Double up on full stainless hose clamps when you put it together. Norma, Tridon, Breeze are the best clamps. The key is not to kink the drop pipe.

If the well uses straight plastic PVC drop pipe they will be 20' long and threaded together. I would not trust glue, and plastic is a %^&* to fish out of a well. I would try to unscrew a section and use a close nipple to make it male to male and screw the Cycle stop on. Pulling the well is a pain without the right equipment. You will need something around 24' tall to pull it with ease. If you have a few strong friends you can pull it by hand. However have a way to hold the pipe so it cannot fall down the well. One idea is to use a piece of plywood with a U cut in it the diameter of the pipe and larger than the well . Pull the drop pipe up until you expose a coupler, then slide the plywood under the coupler and set the drop pipe down. Then break the joint on the top, never break joints under the coupler, only break the joint on top of the coupler. We would do this when setting casing, but used thick sheets of steel and called them U-Irons. Normally we used 18" pipe wrenches for 1" drop pipe. Most contractors in the area did not put anything on the PVC pipe threads when screwing them together.

Depending on the type of pitless adapter you have it can be a pain to get them to release. You will most likely need a Pull Pipe which is a piece of 1" that you put down the well and screw to the pitless. If you post a photo down the well I can try to ID the pitless to help. Take the photo in the dark, with a flash light down the well. Makes it easier to see what we are looking at.

I worked for a well contractor for a few years, it was fun work, but hard work. Make sure you do not drop the pump down the well! Our specialty was fishing, and he got paid damn well to fish at 2-3X the cost per hour of service work plastic sucked to fish too.